What myriad of parking passes do I need while fishing Washington?

DerekWhipple

Due to familial obligations and a possible new work schedule, I won't be making as many Deschutes trips as I used to for a trout fix. Figured I will spend more time getting to know resident trout in NW OR and SW WA. I know there are a bunch of different parking passes that Washington anglers talk about. Which ones do I need? NW Forest Pass, Discover Pass, and anything else?

Most of my fishing will be in national forest and public access areas on the Kalama or Cowlitz. Do I need any particular pass to just park in a pullout in the national forest? What about the parking area at Eagle Cliff? I got some sort of state parking pass when I bought my WA license last year, but I never used it.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Premium
Hi DW,
If you need a pass, generally the requirement will be posted along the road or access way. There are two primary levels: state (state parks, DNR, Fish and Game) and federal (national park, national monument, national forest, BLM, Army Corp, Bureau of Reclamation). In a few cases, you might need pay a county fee to access a county park. On the Cowlitz, if you are at the Salmon Hatchery or at Blue Creek, you will not need a pass as that land is owned by Tacoma Power and they provide free access as a condition of their dam licenses. The parking pass that you received when you purchased your fishing license provides access only to WDFW launch points and parking areas (such as Mission Bar on the Cowlitz). A Discover Pass provides access to all state areas (state parks, DNR, and WDFW). A federal Interagency Pass, (American the Beautiful pass, Golden Age pass) provides access to federal lands.
Steve

DerekWhipple

Hi DW,
If you need a pass, generally the requirement will be posted along the road or access way. There are two primary levels: state (state parks, DNR, Fish and Game) and federal (national park, national monument, national forest, BLM, Army Corp, Bureau of Reclamation). In a few cases, you might need pay a county fee to access a county park. On the Cowlitz, if you are at the Salmon Hatchery or at Blue Creek, you will not need a pass as that land is owned by Tacoma Power and they provide free access as a condition of their dam licenses. The parking pass that you received when you purchased your fishing license provides access only to WDFW launch points and parking areas (such as Mission Bar on the Cowlitz). A Discover Pass provides access to all state areas (state parks, DNR, and WDFW). A federal Interagency Pass, (American the Beautiful pass, Golden Age pass) provides access to federal lands.
Steve
Thanks!

But I won't actually need that interagency pass as long as I'm not parking at "official" day use areas, correct?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts