Let's see your Crayfish flies for Smallies

N. Metz

Like the title say's, let's see those crayfish imitations that the smallmouths love so much. The fly in the picture caught a few big ones last year. I do some where I imitate the claws and legs and whatnot. I'll tie one up and post it. I usually make mine from about 2.5 to 5 inches. 3 to 4 inches seems to be the sweet spot.

Nick

Attachments

• WIN_20210611_21_45_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210611_21_45_08_Pro.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 111
  • WIN_20210611_22_04_07_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210611_22_04_07_Pro.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 105
  • WIN_20210611_22_28_05_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210611_22_28_05_Pro.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

N. Metz

Fly's look good gentleman. The olive/rusty orange and black/rusty orange combination works well. I'm gunna have to tie some up.

Buzzy

So Nick - I'm treading on thin ice here, man. Clouser's swimming nymph "CARP" variation (thread drift?).
Clousers swimming nymph - carp variation.JPG
Often I get lucky when I'm carpin' and find some smallmouth that will grab my offerings. When I started carpin' (23 or 24 years ago now, lost track) I had two patterns: the woolly worm and a crayfish. The flies above are something at @Engee suggested I tie up. He's quite the carper.

Randy - post a pic of your "black" crayfish. Yep, black.

Last edited:

N. Metz

So Nick - I'm treading on thin ice here, man. Clouser's swimming nymph "CARP" variation (thread drift?).
View attachment 285043
Often I get lucky when I'm carpin' and find some smallmouth that will grab my offerings. When I started carpin' (23 or 24 years ago now, lost track) I had two patterns: the woolly worm and a crayfish. The flies above are something at @Engee suggested I tie up. He's quite the carper.

Buzzy-I'll allow it :)

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
brown's crayfish

Brown-s-Crawfish-Side-1080-down.jpg

kamishak steve

I've always favored more impressionistic patterns. This has been lights out for me in certain crayfish rich smallie waters locally. I either roll with this color or have another one with a little bit of olive incorporated into it.

cU6cMEO.jpg

vqQufvE.jpg
That probably has never ending movement in the water, even at rest. Looks good.

kamishak steve

View attachment 285043

Those are rad. I think that juvenile crayfish form a huge part of trout, carp and esp smallmouth diet. They eat the big ones of course, but the smaller crays are the perfect prey. Those look like a great representation. Deadly

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts