Let's see your Crayfish flies for Smallies

N. Metz

Micktom, that's awesome man, great tie. Those are the most realistic crayfish I've ever seen. Give us a recipe man.

On a different note, some of the crayfish in one of the rivers here average the size of a small lobster. They're like 8 inches long, it's ridiculous.

Buzzy

Micktom, that's awesome man, great tie. Those are the most realistic crayfish I've ever seen. Give us a recipe man.

On a different note, some of the crayfish in one of the rivers here average the size of a small lobster. They're like 8 inches long, it's ridiculous.
Time for some Étouffée

Micktom

Those are beautiful...I'm curious why the switch rod and the tube fly are related?
Most of the areas I like to drop craws into have very limited access and hard to cast a single hand rod, and the ability to throw farther distances helps a lot to, makes the switch a better weapon of choice. And I just like tying tubes.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
I ended up doing away with the over-wing as I felt like that one didn't swim exactly how I wanted it to. I also added something olive. I figure if it's got orange, brown and olive and moves a little bit, you're good to go....lol

trRKSLE.jpg

Cheers!

Micktom

This is my crawfish version, tied on a tube as I prefer to use my switch rod for the Yakima river smallmouth here locally.
I don’t really have a pattern for these it’s been more of trial and error but I’ll give it a shot. I’ve tied them with hooks and tubes, I prefer the tubes but that’s just me. If you use a hook I used a xl shank hook and invert it so the point rides up.
here goes from memory,
1. pro tube or hook, 3/4” tube or size 6 hook I think
2. shrimp eyes, I like the black ones
3. crystal flash, I use bonefish pink
4.Rubber legs, root beer colored, i tie in two long pieces per side
5. swiss straw orange or olive
6. small ezstaz orange or olive to match straw
7. grizzly hackle ive used different colors but doesn’t seem to matter
8. Hard as nails clear nail polish

tie in shrimp eyes
tie in crystal flash, leave long to trim later
tie in rubber legs, leave long to trim later
tie in straw
tie in hackle
tie in estaz

1. build up the thorax area, for lack of a better crayfish term, with material rather than trimming it short, or use lead for weight and build it up
2. then wrap estaz to the back/eye of hook
3. Palmer hackle back like you would on a bugger, I use the longer parts of the hackle and don’t trim it much so it’s more bushy
4. wrap the thread back through the hackle to the end of thorax section and fold straw over it with a few wraps.
5. At this point I wrap a couple rubber legs each side of body.
6. then continue wraps for 4 or 5 sections till you reach the end or eye of hook if you will.
7. Trim the straw leaving it long for the fin and coat it with hard as nails clear nail polish. Be sure to put that back before she catches you with it.
8. trim flash and legs to your liking, I always trim the under side hackle flat so it lays hook point up.
you can also tie in barbell weights in the rear by the hook eye but I’ve tried that and all it did was hang up.
I use about 4-5’ mono off a floater and about 2’ tippet with a split shot just above the knot, if it snags a good roll cast will usually pop it loose.

easy to tie so if they get lost and they will, because crayfish like the rocks on the bottom, is one reason I went with tubes and the split shot, way less snags but still gets down to work, plus I like tying tubes.

Attachments

• A1D70CD6-786F-4FBD-BE6E-44BB0C7AB2D0.jpeg
    A1D70CD6-786F-4FBD-BE6E-44BB0C7AB2D0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info