Chopacked

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Magpies, CinnamonTeal and Ruddy Ducks let you know you are in central/eastern WA.

Ruddy Ducks are super cool
Hi Gryfalcon,
We had a falcon (prairie or peregrine, it was past before I could grab my binocs) blast overhead one evening. It was being chased off by a territorial red-winged blackbird. There are many bird, butterfly, and flower pictures that I did not include in the post to keep its length reasonable. This is a fly fishing forum after all.
Steve

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
My fishing partner and I didn't see it, but neighboring campers told us about seeing the bear one evening on the side of Chopaka Mt. A pair of bald eagles treated us to an amazing display one afternoon. We were out toward the south end of the lake when the pair came flying into view. Then suddenly they streaked across the lake like a pair of F-18 Hornets. Couldn't figure out what was up, them - BLAM! - the lead bird seemed to hit hard into the hillside, but it was a ground squirrel den. No sooner had the eagle hit, then it turned and was flying back the way it came, carrying a ground squirrel in its talons. The second eagle, or "wing-man" may have been back up, in case the first one missed the squirrel. In hindsight, it seems like those eagles must have seen the squirrel from at least 1500 feet away and known it was looking in the other direction, leaving it vulnerable to attack from the eagles' direction. Pretty impressive. I've seen eagles chasing ducks on the water before, but this was far more explosive speed than I've ever seen from an eagle.

Gyrfalcon21

Fishing gives us a reason to be out in nature and see it all.

A perfect example happened one night when I was in college.
I should have been in the library studying. Instead, I was in my float tube kicking around in the pitch black of a moonless night in late Spring on a favorite scabland lake. Sometime before midnight the northern lights turned on in an intensity I had never seen before or since.

What an amazing and powerful display.

Priceless memories, thanks to fishing. Education in the field beat the books that night !

Last edited:

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Fishing gives us a reason to be out in nature and see it all.

A perfect example happened one night when I was in college.
I should have been in the library studying. Instead, I was in my float tube kicking around in the pitch black of a moonless night in late Spring on a favorite scabland lake. Sometime before midnight, the northern lights turned on in an intensity I had never seen before or since.

Priceless memories, thanks to fishing. Education in the field beat the books that night !
I love it when the two: field and book, come together. My stimulus to become a marine biologist catalyzed when I was about 12 years old. I had been reading about three-spined sticklebacks in a book on animal behavior from the library. At the same time, I was sampling, for fun, the fish in estuarine/marsh pools near my house. On one late spring day, I encountered several fish that I had never seen there before; they were three-spined sticklebacks returning to the marsh to breed. It was like an electric connection and I haven't been the same since...
Steve

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon21

I love it when the two: field and book, come together. My stimulus to become a marine biologist catalyzed when I was about 12 years old. I had been reading about three-spined sticklebacks in a book on animal behavior from the library. At the same time, I was sampling, for fun, the fish in estuarine/marsh pools near my house. On one late spring fish, I encountered a fish that I had never seen there before; they were three-spined sticklebacks returning to the marsh to breed. It was like an electric connection and I haven't been the same since...
Steve
Love it when things all come together !

devincihatchet

Great report and stellar photos. I have been experiencing the same sporadic fishing in many of the lakes on the east side. Starts fast and then click. The bite is off and you have to work hard for the rest of your fish. Cooler spring than normal as well.

Chris DeLeone

My fishing partner and I didn't see it, but neighboring campers told us about seeing the bear one evening on the side of Chopaka Mt. A pair of bald eagles treated us to an amazing display one afternoon. We were out toward the south end of the lake when the pair came flying into view. Then suddenly they streaked across the lake like a pair of F-18 Hornets. Couldn't figure out what was up, them - BLAM! - the lead bird seemed to hit hard into the hillside, but it was a ground squirrel den. No sooner had the eagle hit, then it turned and was flying back the way it came, carrying a ground squirrel in its talons. The second eagle, or "wing-man" may have been back up, in case the first one missed the squirrel. In hindsight, it seems like those eagles must have seen the squirrel from at least 1500 feet away and known it was looking in the other direction, leaving it vulnerable to attack from the eagles' direction. Pretty impressive. I've seen eagles chasing ducks on the water before, but this was far more explosive speed than I've ever seen from an eagle.

We saw that cinnamon bear three days in a row - twice up on Chopaka Mt and one morning on the other side of the lake - with the heavy winds this past Saturday we watched it for about three hours - its been about 15 years since I've been back to Lake Chopaka, I've missed it and really enjoyed the group I went with - my Dad and a few hockey buddies. We met a few guys and had a fun camp fire night with Tony and James - great guys, they fished hard. Love that place

Javabean

We saw that cinnamon bear three days in a row - twice up on Chopaka Mt and one morning on the other side of the lake - with the heavy winds this past Saturday we watched it for about three hours - its been about 15 years since I've been back to Lake Chopaka, I've missed it and really enjoyed the group I went with - my Dad and a few hockey buddies. We met a few guys and had a fun camp fire night with Tony and James - great guys, they fished hard. Love that place

Attachments

• 88525248-2206-4521-9DE1-9CB194BD7A30.jpeg
    11.8 MB · Views: 51

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts