Time to give up stream fishing

petetar

Hello all, as the title says "Time to give up stream fishing". I'm getting to the point where it is no longer safe for me to rock hop or wade the streams and fly fish, bad right knee and not as stable as I once was has led me to this decision. A recent trip to the Deschutes river just about did me in, a trip on the the basalt and I darn near did a header off a five foot sheer drop to the river. I've fished the Deschutes for thirty years and never had a scare like that. So that is the short story, I'll be posting a couple of rods and reels for sale in the near future, rather than have them collect dust in my basement, some one can carry on for me.
Cheers, Petetar

GAT

Dumbfounded
Why don't you do what I did when I found I could no longer safely fish moving water? I switched over to stillwater fishing a decade ago. If you fish the D then you are very close to some mighty fine trout stillwater fisheries.

Jerry Metcalf

FishyJere
I reached the same decision some years ago. 2 blown ACL's, bad back, hip problem, I was just another accident waiting to happen. After 50 yeas of skiing, I gave it up. I was also tottery in the river and didn't want to go back to the food chain.

However, I can still fish stillwaters quite effectively. My pontoon is effective and easy to transport. Lakes are blessed with a LOT of very nice sized fish, they are plentiful and have year-round access. I also catch quite a few fish, quite a few. You DON'T need to stop fishing

Jerry

GAT

Dumbfounded
When it comes to Oregon, the largest trout in the state are in the stillwaters. The size of some of those guys put the redsides in the Deschutes to shame.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Hello all, as the title says "Time to give up stream fishing". I'm getting to the point where it is no longer safe for me to rock hop or wade the streams and fly fish, bad right knee and not as stable as I once was has led me to this decision. A recent trip to the Deschutes river just about did me in, a trip on the the basalt and I darn near did a header off a five foot sheer drop to the river. I've fished the Deschutes for thirty years and never had a scare like that. So that is the short story, I'll be posting a couple of rods and reels for sale in the near future, rather than have them collect dust in my basement, some one can carry on for me.
Cheers, Petetar
I'm 86 and still try to get some Skinny water fly fishing in. I don't get around like I used to and the thrill of getting a hit in skinny water is still there. Both of my knees are shot, Throw in a bad back. I'm like a walking dead man.

I'm going to get me a Fat Cat so I can float on a lake now and then. Last week I did a little exploring on a small piece of skinny water and I glad I wasn't trying to fish as I fell down twice in the grass going down and up a small hill. Besides sitting in a float tube or a pontoon boat, it feels good with that cold water on the knees. Plus I have no intention of selling any of my gear. While I'm still breathing and can still get around.

Suck it up buttercup.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Hi Petetar,
The Deschutes River is some of the most challenging wading conditions out there. Perhaps, you might need to dial back on wading there, but there are lots of gravel-bottomed streams in central Oregon and elsewhere. A wading staff might contribute to your feeling of stability when wading. And you might add an inflatable life jacket to your apparel. Otherwise, I second the recommendations to spend more time on lakes if you do not feel as comfortable wading.
Steve

Gila trout

Cheers, Petetar
Like others have stated don’t give up fishing just learn how to fish lakes and ponds. I just turned 60, have had both knees replaced and am torn up from playing sports in high school and college. Get a float tube, it’s super relaxing and very little stress on the body. Lake fishing is very rewarding and a lot of fun plus trout, bass and panfish get quite large in Stillwaters. I just got back from a week in the eastern Sierra and only fished several of my favorite lakes and had a blast. I caught an bunch of nice fish and was covers in midges during the hatch. It does not get any better

Attachments

• 07D7D053-EF4D-4803-AD48-8FD4D2CC9EAE.jpeg
    07D7D053-EF4D-4803-AD48-8FD4D2CC9EAE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • DBC4A659-6B5E-4AFB-9C89-4429FF874923.jpeg
    DBC4A659-6B5E-4AFB-9C89-4429FF874923.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27

petetar

Thanks guys for all the response and encouragement. I have a cool Boston Whaler, Sockanett 161/2 ft. I have fished out of that boat for ten years primarily for Salmon and addicted to Kokanee fishing. So thanks to Dr. Magill I'll hang on to my gear a while and see what I can do on still waters, I have fished with Denny Richards as a group coach years back so I'm no stranger still water fishing.

bobduck

Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP
Cheers, Petetar
I feel your pain. Took a tumble on the D last year and broke my 3 wt. Felt lucky that was all I broke but was still an expensive repair. And that was an easy place to wade. I'm going to try to stretch my stream fishing one more year and then reluctantly give in to nature and old age. Got an electric for my drift boat but it can be hard to manage in windy conditions so may consider selling and getting a pram. I've always enjoyed lake fishing so there's always that.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts