Resident Rainbow or Steelhead? (Poll)

Resident Rainbow or Steelhead?

• Resident Rainbow

• Steelhead

Results are only viewable after voting.

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Not a jack, just a small winter run male steelhead. I've caught a few, but not many, male winter steelhead that were 20 - 24" in length. Just a couple winters ago I caught a female winter run that was 19 or 20", which was a first for me.
We ran into one of those little females this winter too, odd encounter.

Screenshot_20210613-182008.png

Always tough to tell. Limited spots below the lateral line, I would guess a young steel. Assuming this river flows into the salt with no impassable barriers...

Shad

Outmigrating winter run makes a lot of sense this time of year, and that fish's head and body shape look the part.

Hopefully a future, repeat spawner!

SilverFly

Not a jack, just a small winter run male steelhead. I've caught a few, but not many, male winter steelhead that were 20 - 24" in length. Just a couple winters ago I caught a female winter run that was 19 or 20", which was a first for me.

Not sure what part of Western WA this was caught, but I remember winter fish this size being fairly common in SWW. Some years more so than others, but never what I would call rare. Or maybe I just had a knack for catching small steelhead.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts