Pinks on a fly?

Chinook Angler

I would like to catch a few pinks in freshwater on a swung fly this year . Never tried it before.. Is there a spey fishing friendly section on the Puyallup maybe? I don't want to fight the corkie fishing crowds, so perhaps some less accessible stretch of that river on a weekday? Please advise.. PMs are welcome. Thanks!!!

vader

Lots of place but there will be others. All depends on where, day, and time. I fished it on a Saturday and had a great time. I just knew that it would be crowded. Everyone was great and catching fish. If you expect it and except it then you will have a great time. River in spots is swallow and you can across, better know those spots or it could be your last. I did think about spey but the way spey is cast is not good around others. I just stay with single hand and can cast more accurate. It is 5 mins from my house so very excited for the pink stink.

vader

Also just know when you get to a spot it will be hard to cover water. You need to find a spot and stay or you will lose it if you move. you can see them moving up river and know their traveling lanes.

vader

Also just know when you get to a spot it will be hard to cover water. You need to find a spot and stay or you will lose it if you move. you can see them moving up river and know their traveling lanes.

Chinook Angler

Thanks Vader!!! I figured it's easier to cast with a spey, but if a conventional SH fly rod is the way to go I can just go that route as well.

dustinchromers

I would like to catch a few pinks in freshwater on a swung fly this year . Never tried it before.. Is there a spey fishing friendly section on the Puyallup maybe? I don't want to fight the corkie fishing crowds, so perhaps some less accessible stretch of that river on a weekday? Please advise.. PMs are welcome. Thanks!!!

Wherever you fish for them know that bouncing the fly through the swing will make your more effective. Stick with the floating line as well.

JayB

IMO You'd be *waaaaay* better off heading to one of the public points of land to the north of where the Puyallup dumps into the sound, ideally on a low-slack tide as early in the AM as you can get out there. Lots more room to move around, and once the current starts moving you can pretend you're swinging in a river.....

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Try Browns Pt., Dash Pt. or Des Moines. You will be joined by hoards. If you can get a parking spot you have a much better chance of hooking up with a Pink on a fly. I've caught hundreds over the years with a fly but it has become more difficult because of lower numbers and the fish have not come into the beach as in many past years.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Pinks are fun, crowds are not.

And indeed, the numbers have been dropping.

Buzzy

What @dustinchromers suggests on the floating line. Bad luck and trouble for me the two times I've swung flies with a sink tip. A few too many not hooked fairly. As noted, don't expect privacy and lots of space. Good luck.

I have never fished for pinks on a fly but I'm gonna give it hell. I'll be the one standing in the middle of all the corkie dorks haha. Jk but seriously thanks for all the info guys great thread. Stay safe out there everyone

dustinchromers

I have never fished for pinks on a fly but I'm gonna give it hell. I'll be the one standing in the middle of all the corkie dorks haha. Jk but seriously thanks for all the info guys great thread. Stay safe out there everyone

In my experience fly fishing out produces drift fishing five to one for legal hooked fish. Twitching jigs will out produce fly fishing on some water where depth is a factor but also increase foul hooked fish if being fished by less and skilled twitchers.

Chinook Angler

I'm curious, why freshwater? Why not saltwater?
Good question... I think it's a combination of things for me personally. Freshwater is just a more enjoyable experience, fewer things to worry about, no need to obsessively wash and rinse all gears after a day of fishing (yeah, I have an OCD problem), no need to buy another license, etc.

BDD

In my experience fly fishing out produces drift fishing five to one for legal hooked fish. Twitching jigs will out produce fly fishing on some water where depth is a factor but also increase foul hooked fish if being fished by less and skilled twitchers.
Twitching jigs can be the most productive way to fish pinks because of its effectiveness and the ability to fish very quickly (you can make 3 casts in the amount of time it takes to swing a fly through a drift) but swinging flies can also be very good. Your "drift fishing" comment caught my attention however. I see lots of plunkers and spoon tossers but rarely do I see drift fishing (at least in the traditional sense) for pinks. Is this common where you are?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts