A Cathartic Account of a Kayak Fishing Mishap, and a Shout Out to Ive of Ione (Warning...Very Long)

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Premium
Great analysis of the whole incident- glad it all ended well!
Thank you - I will be adding a rescue knife to my pfd, and will look into an InReach. Excellent advice.

My Hobie seems unshakably stable, but there's always the possibility of taking a wonky wave at just the wrong moment, so a good reminder to keep things low and secured.
My little sit-inside yak is 38" wide and 7.5ft long, and has felt dead safe for >15 years - except for one day when I added a 2 inch foam pad to the seat; it significantly destabilized it. Never did that again!

Oh, and Jim:
Thankfully Ive was there for the assist/rescue, even if he isn't a Baywatch hottie . . .
Says who? Never met Ive, but have always pictured him as a combination of Hasselhoff and Zac Efron.
Is that not accurate?

kmudgn

Glad you are ok. My suggestion would be this:

I have had mine (14 ft double ender) almost 15 years. It is very stable (wide beam and sponsons), light (33 lbs), easy to manuver and handles an electric trolling motor with ease. It is also much cheaper than many of the "fishing" kayaks Plus it is so uncool to have a canoe vs a kayak today that I feel good about using it.

Krusty

Outta Here
Another thing to add to your pfd is a whistle. In navigable waters, one is required to have a ‘sound producing device’ like an air horn or a whistle aboard. For canoes and kayaks, a whistle is easier and on/in your pfd means it will be handy when you need it.
An excellent point! All of my PFD's are equipped with whistles.

Another item would be associated with inflatable PFD's; I was once fishing with a fellow who got a warning citation from a WDFG enforcement officer for not having it on. Just having it in the boat is not sufficient.

A great many people apparently think they'll have time to don a PFD if emergency necessitates.

That might work aboard the Titanic while the band plays on, but in small craft emergencies you might not even have time to zip and buckle your PFD properly, let alone find the damn thing.

A good PFD, worn properly, may even float you face up while unconscious.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Premium
Glad you are ok. My suggestion would be this:

I have had mine (14 ft double ender) almost 15 years. It is very stable (wide beam and sponsons), light (33 lbs), easy to manuver and handles an electric trolling motor with ease. It is also much cheaper than many of the "fishing" kayaks Plus it is so uncool to have a canoe vs a kayak today that I feel good about using it.
Not looking to derail this thread, but if your Sportspal is 33 lbs, I think it's the Canadian version made by Radisson (not the USA made Meyer one) with a single-sheet, thinner aluminum hull. They look very similar,as well as the shared name.
Follow your own link for the Meyer Sportspal S13, and you'll see the catalog says 58lbs. I have that one, also maybe 15 years old, and I would have guessed 70 lbs!
It is very stable, and it rows better than it paddles. Great for 2 people.
20210614_150328.jpg

Just an fyi in case someone's looking to get one!

wetswinger

Just a question out of curiosity. Were you wearing waders? If so, did they impede your rescue? Self-rescue is a big deal in paddle sports and I've always wondered how I would fair if I capsized, in my canoe on the Sound. Truth be told, I'm not as confident, foolhardy?, as I once was..

Last edited:

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
Glad it came out ok and you're well. Thank you for the reminder, I had a scare last winter. Amazing how fast your mind can diminish such a traumatic experience.

sroffe

This knife was not cheap, but I love it. It lives on my PFD.

Spyderco Enuff Salt Fixed Blade Knife with 2.75" H-1 Stainless Steel Sheepfoot Blade and Premium Custom-Molded Boltaron Sheath - SpyderEdge - FB31SYL​

That is a cool knife. Got to get one. LOL

When my buddy and I were planning on a trip to BC I bought some additional safety gear from NRS, one of the items was their Pilot Knife. Has a blunt end; has the advantage of not self stabbing one self when deployed.

Zak

WFF Premium
That is a cool knife. Got to get one. LOL

When my buddy and I were planning on a trip to BC I bought some additional safety gear from NRS, one of the items was their Pilot Knife. Has a blunt end; has the advantage of not self stabbing one self when deployed.
If you are spending big bucks on a corrosion resistant knife, I understand that Spyderco has started making knives with LC200N steel. The knife geeks say LC200N is just as corrosion resistant as H1 steel (my knife is H1) but retains an edge much better. For a dedicated rescue knife, I don't think it matters, but just something to think about.

Guy Gregory

Krusty, Ive:

You scared the crap outa me. A good reminder of why wearing your PFD is essential...it not only floats you, it makes your companion safer as well.

Thanks for another lesson.

Guy

Krusty

Outta Here
Just a question out of curiosity. Were you wearing waders? If so, did they impede your rescue? Self-rescue is a big deal in paddle sports and I've always wondered how I would fair if I capsized, in my canoe on the Sound. Truth be told, I'm not as confident, foolhardy?, as I once was..
I was not wearing waders. In cold weather and/ or cold water conditions I wear a thick neoprene chest wader (waist belt ALWAYS absolutely essential with chest waders!!) and an NRS hydroskin top, with a kayak windshell (depending upon weather may layer more under the spray shell). I think that whole wardrobe would have complicated salvaging my kayak and gear, but in cold water my only objective would be to get to shore before hypothermia rendered me helpless....to hell with the boat and gear.

I fish little lakes, but were I on coastal waters or big inland lakes in cold water conditions I would be wearing a PFD and drysuit.

Krusty

Outta Here
Glad it came out ok and you're well. Thank you for the reminder, I had a scare last winter. Amazing how fast your mind can diminish such a traumatic experience.
I'm still waiting for the memory of the experience to subside. Really 'rattled my cage'. Focusing on reducing a chance of any reoccurence. The purpose of the thread was to share what I've learned, as well as get suggestions that I'd not thought of, but it's also personally therapeutic to objectify the event rather than dwell on the associated feelings.

When I was young, like in my mountaineering days, accidents were mainly things that happened to other people because they'd screwed up....I certainly wouldn't do such a thing. ;)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info