Bamboo and Bumbles

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
Walked into another pond on the west slope of the cascades last week. The water is warming up and it's almost time to switch to high lakes.

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.19.10 PM.png
I fished a granger 8642, Hardy Uniqua reel and a Cortland camo intermediate line. Old things are good things. The water was warm although rain and wind meant I needed gloves to stay warm.
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.17.22 PM.png

Found some cutts up to 17" inching a claret bumble or fiery brown bumble or golden olive bumble through the depths of the pond. Nothing in the surface.

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.16.53 PM.png

Anyone else fish Bumbles? I read about then in Kingsmill Moore's book A Man May Fish. The blended colors and seals fur are appealing and the lack of a long tail means no short strikes. I use them often in beaver ponds and high lakes. Like to fish the Golden olive bumble on a dropper and the fiery brown or claret bumble on the tail to give the fish a choice.

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.15.51 PM.png

Claret Bumble (top). Size 10-14 wet fly hook. Golden Pheasant Tippet tail. Dubbed claret seals fur body. 1 claret hackle and 1 black hackle wound in loose turns up the body. Golden oval tinsel rib. A turn of jay hackle at the throat.

Fiery Brown Bumble (middle). Size 10-14 wet fly hook. Red dyed golden pheasant crest tail. Fiery brown seals fur body. 1 red and 1 fiery brown hackle wound in loose turns up body. Golden oval tinsel rib. A turn of grouse hackle at the head.

Golden Olive Bumble (bottom). Size 10-14 wet fly hook. Golden pheasant crest tail. Golden olive seals fur body. 1 golden olive and 1 natural brown hackle wound in loose turns up body. Golden oval tinsel rib. A turn of jay hackle at the head.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts