Anyone making smashburgers on the griddle?

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Damn, they're good! Last year I retired the portable gas grill I had camped with for decades and bought a new small Blackstone griddle. I have it mounted on a slideout tray in the Casa where it can be pulled out on the tailgate or carried to a nearby picnic table. It is a perfect size for one or two people and a huge upgrade over the gas grill in terms of utility and usefulness. So much so in fact that I am keeping it in the kitchen and have cooked on it all winter. It is fun cooking because it demands attention and involvement. Far more versatile than a grill, I have done steaks, fajitas, veges, pancakes, bacon, eggs and hashbrowns, toasted buns, tortillas, stir fry and a host of other things and everything seems to come out right because I am right there flipping food over and moving it to different parts of the griddle.

Now I have discovered smashburgers and they are really fun. And delicious! I am making them almost exactly like the originator-fried in butter with a crust on both sides. There are dozens of examples on line on how to make them but I use my usual condiments, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, thin coat of mayo on the buns to toast, mustard and just a taste of Bulls Eye barbeque sauce.

For a fun take on the traditional burger give them a try

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
I don't understand what makes the smashburgers different than just pan frying burgers. What am I missing?

EDIT: to be clear, I get that you "smash" them down hard when cooking. But does this really make a huge difference? And if so, how/why?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I don't understand what makes the smashburgers different than just pan frying burgers. What am I missing?

EDIT: to be clear, I get that you "smash" them down hard when cooking. But does this really make a huge difference? And if so, how/why?
I believe part of it is that smashing reduces cooking time, and the uneven edges get that char and pick up lots of flavor. When we did them in the eighty's, you dress it up with a name, but reduce the portion size (burger and bun), with the nearly the same menu cost.

Sportsman

Parchment paper works great for smashing a burger. Keeps everything clean, very little to dispose of or just burn it.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter

It's the crust that counts Josh. Many of our foods are better with a crisp crust which is often where the bulk of the flavor is. Think chicken, steaks, pork chops, french fries, toast, ribs, etc. All better with a little bit of crunch. Smashing them down and searing the bottom helps retain the juices most of which leak out with regular cooking creating a dry burger.

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
I like the aesthetics of two small thin patties on the toasted bun, each with cheese and crispy edges, instead of one big patty. I get eight patties from a one pound block of ground beef, perfect for four people.

O' Clarkii Stomias

As a fella who grew up eating Culver's butter burgers in the Midwest...this thread has my mouth watering.

For you culinary-minded folks, try some garlic infused clarified butter for your smash-burgers, thank me later.
Clarified butter/ ghee is a staple in my cooking. Love me a smashed, thin burger!

Matt B

WFF Supporter

Maybe it pushes more moisture and/or grease out which enables more browning, crisping, Maillard reaction? I don’t know why a smashburger is its own extra good thing but it just is. It just works.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
As a fella who grew up eating Culver's butter burgers in the Midwest...this thread has my mouth watering.

For you culinary-minded folks, try some garlic infused clarified butter for your smash-burgers, thank me later.

I had a Culver’s butter burger a few nights ago.
Pretty tasty burger. Two for $6.00 is a hell of a deal.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts