What BBQ should I buy?

cdnred

Once again, thank you to everyone for all the opinions and info.

I feel like I'm leaning towards a medium size 3-burner propane grill of some sort with a basic Weber charcoal to work on learning that style if I can carve out space for both.

Just as an example, after making this post yesterday I realized that I didn't feel like having the drive in burgers that kid #1 requested (he got to pick dinner yesterday). So I grabbed a couple of chicken breasts, marinated for a bit, and then took them across the street to my old grill. Would I have made the last minute decision and spent the time/money to fire up a charcoal grill for two chicken breasts? I'm not sure that I would have.

On the other hand, all the folks who love charcoal aren't wrong. It's been too long since I've had some of that classic flavor...
For me I like propane for the ease of cleanup and time spent cooking. I've never tried the charcoal/wood grills and I'm sure they're great but there are times during the week when I just don't have the time to spend watching the grill. For a weekend of leisure with plenty of time on my hands, I'm sure the charcoal/wood would be a great fit plus I don't have the space for 2 grills..

chris stiemert

WFF Supporter
I think people overthink the time thing for charcoal - takes ones minute to load the starter and add newspaper, and about 15 mins to get the coals ready, during that 15 mins I’m getting the food prepped. Had a long conversation with my father in law on this topic, he went with propane. The Weber Smokey mountain charcoal
Smoker is a different story, that’s takes some time to get going and considerable cleanup. Also I grill on the charcoal year round in Seattle- I don’t have an undercover area but there aren’t many days in Seattle that you can’t grill outside with charcoal.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
I have been using a propane Weber Genesis for past 14 years. It suits me for all my needs. Quick to heat up to temperature, easily to regulate it too. Sufficient in size to cook for 8-10 people. I cook a lot of veggies on the grill also. Just love the marinated asparagus cooked on the 'Q'.

Easy to get to high temp to sear the meat (~550) and and adjustable enough to keep the temp around ~225 to slow cook a boneless leg of lamb for a couple of hours. Also very easy to clean - just slide out a tray underneath in the cabinet

As someone else mentioned Weber keeps replacement parts in stock. I just had to replace the burners and it was a lot less expensive (~35) than replacing the grill.

When we lost electricity a number of years ago, made coffee, and cooked all the meals for 9 days. Found out I could bake meat loaf in it too...

I am not a big fan of smoke. Tried that cast iron box placed near the bottom - MEH. Not worth the effort for what one gets...

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Would I have made the last minute decision and spent the time/money to fire up a charcoal grill for two chicken breasts? I'm not sure that I would have.
I do it all the time. 2 chicken breasts, 2 burgers, a fish fillet, or a steak big enough to share with Mrs. Salmo. The money is insignificant since the Smokey Joe costs only $30, and it takes only a couple dozen briquets. Like another poster said, it takes only a minute to put briquets in the chimney, add newspaper, and light a match. I set the timer for 10 minutes and do other food prep in the kitchen. At 10 minutes, I dump the charcoal out of the chimney and spread them around on the grate. Set the timer for another 8 or 10 minutes to let the charcoal ash over while we're eating salad or something. Then put whatever meat on the grill, set the timer for however long experience has shown me is necessary for that thickness of meat, and then turn it and set the timer for the second side. If this wasn't easy I wouldn't be doing it.

Squamishpoacher

At home my preference is a wood fire of alder or maple with charcoal on it after it gets established. Not the matchlight stuff but true charcoal.
On the road I have a Weber Q100 I've had about 12 years. It fits in a tote behind the seat of the truck. Had to replace a regulator two years ago but it was easy to find the part.

Riffling Hitch

I have thought about supplementing my gas weber with this small charcoal grill:

I picked up one of these that was on a couldn't help it clearance price. It works well for a couple steaks and vegtibales or short ribs cut thin. I've had a little fun with it but it is kind of a pain in the ass. Not easy to move or clean out ash. Carrying by handle is not balanced and will dump parts.
I like it but would not go out of my way to get it.

Reactions: Zak

Mstark

Going a little off the beaten path here, but hear me out. Have you considered the Recteq line of grills, specifically the Bullseye 380? It's like a Weber charcoal, but runs on pellets. What is the most unique about it is it gets wicked hot for a pellet grill. I can get mine over 800 degrees. I run pellets that are a mix of hardwood and charcoal, so I get the charcoal flavor without the inconvenience of dealing with charcoal. At 400 bucks it is a STEAL! Full on stainless steel construction and legendary customer service. Seriously consider this grill...I have a Traeger and a Weber Kettle and a Weber Genesis, and I don't ever use any of them...Recteq Bullseye is a game changer.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts