What BBQ should I buy?

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I have as somewhat related question; how do you all keep critters out of your grill/is there a solid bbq where critters are less of an issue? Like many in western WA, I grill year around. However, if I go more than a week without using in the winter, invariably a critter moves in, start building a midden, etc. This skeevs my wife out to no end which means I am stuck with a portable Weber gas grill I can bring inside after each use. Thoughts? Seems like every grill I research from standard run of the mill charcoal and gas to Traegers and Big Green Eggs are susceptible to this issue.

Do I need to just invest heavily in steel wool to plug entry points no matter what grill I might buy?

TDB

Flounder Pounder
I have as somewhat related question; how do you all keep critters out of your grill/is there a solid bbq where critters are less of an issue? Like many in western WA, I grill year around. However, if I go more than a week without using in the winter, invariably a critter moves in, start building a midden, etc. This skeevs my wife out to no end which means I am stuck with a portable Weber gas grill I can bring inside after each use. Thoughts? Seems like every grill I research from standard run of the mill charcoal and gas to Traegers and Big Green Eggs are susceptible to this issue.

Do I need to just invest heavily in steel wool to plug entry points no matter what grill I might buy?

I have a BGE, grill year round, and have never had this issue. No clue how a rodent could even get in a BGE if you close the vent and put on the cap.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I keep mine covered & both covers extend almost to the ground (keeps wasps out). I trapped a couple Deer Mice last year (saw mouse beans on the shelf. Only time I ever encountered that, but there was a major housing development going in not too far away; I'm assuming the mice were evicted via bulldozer.).

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I have a BGE, grill year round, and have never had this issue. No clue how a rodent could even get in a BGE if you close the vent and put on the cap.

Thanks TDB. It definitely seems less likely with a BGE but I did come across a couple of online items where it was discussed. Maybe just user error then. I guess I need to seriously consider a BGE. I prefer gas but maybe the inconvenience of having to bring my gas grill indoors after each use makes it a wash.

TDB

Flounder Pounder
Thanks TDB. It definitely seems less likely with a BGE but I did come across a couple of online items where it was discussed. Maybe just user error then. I guess I need to seriously consider a BGE. I prefer gas but maybe the inconvenience of having to bring my gas grill indoors after each use makes it a wash.

That dude left a vented cap on top. Silly for a couple of reasons, 1) shutting it down (cap & vent) after a cook can save you a considerable amount of charcoal for your next cook. 2) mice could definitely get it if you leave a vented chimney cap on.

With regards to time, my grill takes about 20 min to get up to temp and you don't need to use a chimney to start it. I use it often for quick weeknight cooks.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Going a little off the beaten path here, but hear me out. Have you considered the Recteq line of grills, specifically the Bullseye 380? It's like a Weber charcoal, but runs on pellets. What is the most unique about it is it gets wicked hot for a pellet grill. I can get mine over 800 degrees. I run pellets that are a mix of hardwood and charcoal, so I get the charcoal flavor without the inconvenience of dealing with charcoal. At 400 bucks it is a STEAL! Full on stainless steel construction and legendary customer service. Seriously consider this grill...I have a Traeger and a Weber Kettle and a Weber Genesis, and I don't ever use any of them...Recteq Bullseye is a game changer.

This thing looks cool. Have you tried smoking meat or fish with it?

Peyton00

So....i need guidance.

I need a small 2 burner gas grill. Nothing fancy, nothing cheap. I will pay good money.

Any small gas grills out there that wont fall apart within a season of use?

Thanks.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Not sure what you are looking for-home use? Travel/camping? Two burner and small don't often go in the same sentence so that might limit the field. I think there are quite a few that would recommend a Weber Q 3200. It is of good quality, has a good reputation and has the famous Weber support for replacement parts. Some lesser brands just don't backup their products.

Peyton00

Its a home use stand alone gas grill using standard 20lb tanks.
The space preferably dictates a smaller unit. I can buy a $175 crappy 2 burner at most places.

I am looking for someone that has a 2 burner gas grill of high quality with a good review.

I have a decent 4 burner broil king in place now. It's a big unit and a bit overkill.

Thanks Iveoflone for seeking clarification.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts