Float Tubing a River?

N. Metz

Has anyone ever put their fins on and fished a river from their tube? This time of year, the river I'm thinking of is low and real slow. No rapids at all. I waded it today and it was too deep in some spots, which was unfortunate as some of the big smallies like those deep holes and I couldn't get to em. There's a park that covers several miles of river and I was thinking I'd float through the park and just walk a trail back to the car.

Is this a stupid idea that's gunna get me on 1000 ways to die? The rivers got a good amount of downed timber but it's super slow; it meanders.

Thanks,

Nick

lou

Drunk CWU students float down the Yakima canyon in inner-tubess all summer long. What's the difference?

lou

Drunk CWU students float the Yakima canyon in inner tubes all summer long. Use it as a conveyance, no fins, feet dangling on the outside of the float tube. It will open up a ton of water. I think it depends on the river.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Has anyone ever put their fins on and fished a river from their tube? This time of year, the river I'm thinking of is low and real slow. No rapids at all. I waded it today and it was too deep in some spots, which was unfortunate as some of the big smallies like those deep holes and I couldn't get to em. There's a park that covers several miles of river and I was thinking I'd float through the park and just walk a trail back to the car.

Is this a stupid idea that's gunna get me on 1000 ways to die? The rivers got a good amount of downed timber but it's super slow; it meanders.

Thanks,

Nick
I dont know, people have been float tubing silver creek for ages. Not necessarily the fact that its moving (water) that makes it a good or bad idea. What makes me nervous is the comment about downed timber. That's why you generally stay away from moving water in a float tube - if your fin/foot/leg gets stuck on something submerged or bottom - you're in deep shit.

Really slow water might be OK, but if it's not deep and or there's submerged structure I'd be nervous.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Drunk CWU students float the Yakima canyon in inner tubes all summer long. Use it as a conveyance, no fins, feet dangling on the outside of the float tube. It will open up a ton of water. I think it depends on the river.
Difference is legs out of the tube vs legs under the tube. Legs under could be bad. Legs over, gimme a sixer of silver bullets and let's do this!

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Has anyone ever put their fins on and fished a river from their tube?
Yes, I have, with mixed results. Sometimes it was pretty successful but except for places like Silver Creek I think there are usually better ways. Careful out there.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
Floating the Yak on an inner tube means you’re on top of the water. You’re half submerged in a float tube that’s not easy to bail out of. You could tangle on any number of things and bang your knees on rocks as you go. If it’s slow moving water with no rapids you might have a good time. You could also buy my Alpacka raft and wear a helmet which would make you basically invincible. =)

Rob Allen

Thanks,
blessed.

If the stream. Is all like you described you are fine..

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
finning lazily in 8' of water and one leg gets hung up in a loop of 60# braid that Jim Bob broke off while he was casting for chinook. You don't realize you've been lassoed until the current carries you far enough to draw the loop tight.
Just for the sake of comparison:

I was tubing a pond &, hooked a Smallmouth. Said Smallmouth made a couple wraps of 6# mono around my legs, spit the hook, but by then had effectively "lassoed" my lower legs. At the time, I was 250#, lifting heavy weights including lots of squats & leg work, was strong as an ox, but try as I might I could not break or reach the tangled line to free myself. I was some 40' to 50' from shore & I finally got there via much exertion & a series of backwards mermaid kicks, a most ineffective means of propulsion I might add. I would have been helpless in even the slowest of currents.

To answer your question, I wouldn't advise tubing flowing water, as all manufacturers emphasize. The risks definitely outweigh any potential rewards. Not the answer you want to hear, but my experience confirms the possible danger. There are lots of potential hazards apart from high CFM flows and rapids . . . underwater hazards such as abandoned fishing line, barbed wire, cables, anchor lines, tree limbs/other sunken items that have been discarded in the water and other threats that could snag your feet/legs. Don't allow your zeal to catch fish overcome your common sense. Be safe (and wear a PFD no matter where you are tubing.).

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts