After More Than A Year I Go Fishing

GAT

Dumbfounded
Thanks to the pandemic, I haven't fished for trout in over a year. I was beginning to wonder why I stayed a member of this site !

Yesterday, finally, I took at trip to Olalla Lake in Oregon. I wasn't really sure if I remembered how to fish for trout. Eventually I got everything together and launched.

Things started slow. A few hits and misses then a couple of small planters. I was wondered if my legs and or back would give out but I decided to fin to the other end of the lake (risky if the wind came up).

The further away from the dam I fished the more things started to pick up. I found the trout. I found a lot of trout. I was hooking up constantly but none were really photo fish which is just as well because I don't know if I remembered how to take a fish photo. The largest trout I caught was 14 inches and the rest were 8 to 10 inches. Didn't matter. Catching a lot of trout after a year of hiding out in my house , I was a happy camper.

I always use a two fly presentation for stillwater fishing. After trying a number of combination I finally ended up using to patterns of my own design. One is my most production WB I call An Old Chestnut. The second was a size 10 mini WB, brown with a black bead head and black hackle. If the trout didn't take one they'd hit the other but the larger trout seemed to prefer the mini WB.

As far as catching goes, it was one of the best trips I've experienced at Olalla. I have no idea how many I caught but I know it was over 20.

The only problems were when I tried backing down the boat ramp, which I've never been good at, and ran into the side fence ... nothing serious but I looked like one of the old fools who can't back down a boat ramp. By the time I finally gave up fishing and headed back to the ramp, I found a dozen kayaks directly in front of the ramp. Evidently it was a class but why the instructor was giving direction in front of the boat ramp is beyond me. It made finning around the group at pain but finally I landed and headed for home.

All things considered, it was a damned fine day of fishing ! Finally ! !

Last edited:

Freestone

WFF Supporter
Thanks for the great report, Gene! I’m glad that you got out and had such a good day! I’ve missed you around here and I, for one, am glad that you stuck around!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Glad to read the report of your awesome day! Is there a picture that illustrates the day?

I hope to see more reports, and that the joy of release and freedom continues on.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Glad to read the report of your awesome day! Is there a picture that illustrates the day?

I hope to see more reports, and that the joy of release and freedom continues on.
Well, okay, I lied. I didn't post the photos because they really are not the quality nor the size of trout we normally see on this site. (I'm seriously out of practice.) I took a photo of one of the fish to show my wife so she'd know I wasn't making it all up.

The scenery shot shows how few people where at the far end of the reservoir. Once you got around the bend it was a different story. A lot of kayaks ! !

web size scenery.jpg

web size trout.jpg

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I finally gave up fishing and headed back to the ramp, I found a dozen kayaks directly in front of the ramp. Evidently it was a class but why the instructor was giving direction in front of the boat ramp is beyond me.
Glad to read that you got out fishing Gene. Just one comment regarding your return to the boat ramp. I think you erred in going around the group of kayaks. Nice a guy as I am, I would have come straight into the center of the ramp and reminded the group that boat ramps are for launching and retrieving watercraft first, and all other uses are secondary. You paid for that ramp (directly or indirectly).

GAT

Dumbfounded
It was the instructors fault, not the students. He should have been giving instruction much further away from the ramp. Besides, the students where nice enough and some of the women were downright cute :D

Due to all the activity around the ramp, and my first dismal backing down the ramp, I decided not to back my rig down the ramp and instead hoisted my SuperCat and lugged it up the hill to my rig. That did wonders for my back ... NOT. I'm still feeling the effects of that approach today... I have far too much crap in my pontoon boat so it isn't exactly lite.

cdnred

Agreed the instructor should have moved the class away from the ramp. Rule of thumb is when you launch pull your rig out of the way and move out of the area so others can use it. It's not for someone's exclusive use only as they were doing. As @Salmo_g stated you should've steered for the ramp, have them move aside for you and then remind them of boating courtesy..

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts