Outcast Fish Cat Rise

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I haven't been able to find much info about the Outcast Fish Cat Rise float tubes. Does anyone have any experience or other input to share?

I live in an apartment, so the small packed size is appealing. However, it does make me wonder how stable they are in the water. I'm unlikely to use it during winter, so the lower sitting position doesn't concern me.

Last edited:

Tim Lockhart

I haven't used one but have a lot of experience in other tubes - round, u-boats, other Fishcats, etc. That one seems to lack bang for the buck at that price point. Highly packable/lightweight/stable combo is still round, hate to say it. But tough to find w/ boston valve which I wouldn't go without on any tube. Best compromise IMO would still be a standard u-boat with the pvc bar across. Inexpensive/stable/reasonably light or packable, especially compared to Outcast/v-boats. FWIW in most situations you'll compromise something, just have to decide what. Personally I'd go round in that situation, but I think I'm alone in that.

Have fun however it goes!

Haggis57

There is a bit of a review on the Rise in this YouTube video. Note that pricing is in CAD.

Two positives that I picked up from the video are that the main bladders use Boston valves and it doesn't look like you need a spreader bar across the front to keep the two sides apart.

I'm trying to be careful with cash flow right now, but wanted something light for packing into alpine lakes this summer . I picked up a used Gunnison float tube today. They are no longer shown on the Classic Accessories website but is basically identical to the Teton float tube - they both use the same bladder. What drew to the Gunnison was that the weight was very similar to the Fish Cat Rise. There's nothing I can do about the fill valves, but I am going to get a 3 or 4 inch inflatable seat for the boat and see if I can do away with need for the front spreader bar. I also hoping the raised seating position will be a bit warmer for some September hikes.

Ken

Last edited:

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Sitting or sleeping on anything inflatable is always going to be cool. Topping those air filled seats with some closed cell foam will make a huge difference. I use exercise mat material on my inflatables and attach it with double sided carpet tape. It last for years.

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
I just bought a Backpacker Pro tube from Wilderness Lite and the company's communication is awesome! I'd look into that tube before you pull the trigger on the outcast.

PooterTooter

I haven't been able to find much info about the Outcast Fish Cat Rise float tubes. Does anyone have any experience or other input to share?

I live in an apartment, so the small packed size is appealing. However, it does make me wonder how stable they are in the water. I'm unlikely to use it during winter, so the lower sitting position doesn't concern me.

The Rise is a GREAT tube for hikers, and a nice balance of quality/bang for your buck. You do much alpine lake fishing? Its perfect for that. I ended up with a larger tube myself because I'm a bigger person and wanted the support. I can hike with it buckled to a wire frame, but not on any serious inclines or distances with the flippers, pump and such that I use.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts