Costly day on the water yesterday

Shawn West

Launched at Stevenson yesterday morning for a couple of hours of fun. Had planned on fishing until about noon. Winds were predicted to be around 8mph later in the day. I started out by throwing a deer hair diver. I had a couple of strikes from smaller fish, but decided to switch to streamers. While stretching my full sink line, the line broke. Not good, but I got 13 years of hard use from this line. Switched to a sink tip line. While stretching that line, it broke too!?! What the heck? I strung up my intermediate line. This one did not break.

The water temperature was 63 degrees. The weeds are starting to get pretty thick in this area. I tied on a grey dubbing brush baitfish. I started fishing the edges of the weed lines. It did not take long before I had my first fish to hand. I was pleased to land a nice 17" smallmouth bass. I caught a couple more bass. Then I hooked into a nice fish. It took a while, but I managed to net a 19" smallmouth bass. After removing the hook and taking a photo, I noticed my rod tip had slipped off. Only problem was the rod tip had not slipped off, it had broken. What a morning, two lines, and now a rod to boot.

I did not have a sinking line for my top water rod. I had to go back to my truck to get a subsurface line. Once that was taken care of, I headed back to where I was catching fish. I managed one more fish to hand while in transit. Not long after that, the hurricane winds started to blow out of the east. I had to get off the water NOW. So much for 8mph winds. The wind surfer crowd was happy.

I have ordered my new fly lines, as well as a new rod tip. The rod tip was $20 plus shipping. Not bad in my opinion. The fly lines will cost me much more. I would post a photo of the bass, but I do not like the process it takes to do so. Can't wait to get on the water again soon. It has been a good year fishing so far. It should only get better.

Regards

Shawm

Timson

Launched at Stevenson yesterday morning for a couple of hours of fun. Had planned on fishing until about noon. Winds were predicted to be around 8mph later in the day. I started out by throwing a deer hair diver. I had a couple of strikes from smaller fish, but decided to switch to streamers. While stretching my full sink line, the line broke. Not good, but I got 13 years of hard use from this line. Switched to a sink tip line. While stretching that line, it broke too!?! What the heck? I strung up my intermediate line. This one did not break.

The water temperature was 63 degrees. The weeds are starting to get pretty thick in this area. I tied on a grey dubbing brush baitfish. I started fishing the edges of the weed lines. It did not take long before I had my first fish to hand. I was pleased to land a nice 17" smallmouth bass. I caught a couple more bass. Then I hooked into a nice fish. It took a while, but I managed to net a 19" smallmouth bass. After removing the hook and taking a photo, I noticed my rod tip had slipped off. Only problem was the rod tip had not slipped off, it had broken. What a morning, two lines, and now a rod to boot.

I did not have a sinking line for my top water rod. I had to go back to my truck to get a subsurface line. Once that was taken care of, I headed back to where I was catching fish. I managed one more fish to hand while in transit. Not long after that, the hurricane winds started to blow out of the east. I had to get off the water NOW. So much for 8mph winds. The wind surfer crowd was happy.

I have ordered my new fly lines, as well as a new rod tip. The rod tip was $20 plus shipping. Not bad in my opinion. The fly lines will cost me much more. I would post a photo of the bass, but I do not like the process
So , Your nick name is Lucky? Hell of a day

Timson

Murphy was your copilot.
He's been in my boat before. Wading under the Narrows I fished for hours , no problem.As I was Just about to wade out at the trail head I slipped and went in ,of course there was a crowd coming from the parking lot. Pissed me off so bad I had to slip 1 more time .

Replicant

It's painful losing and damaging gear. In my Lake Powell trip report, I didn't mention all the damage that was done before and during the trip. Looking back on it now, I had so much fun that it took most of the sting out of all the dumb stuff that happened. While packing up beforehand, I couldn't locate my Orvis Hydros IV reel, loaded with Rio Gold 'smallmouth' line. Still haven't found it to this day. While fishing, we both had several rods rigged up and ready to go to. Once we were settled into a spot, I would move some rods to the center console of the boat to be out of the way of my casts. I forgot just one time and my line caught my cousin's 8wt TFO with a Lamson Guru II on it. It was like watching the Titanic sink. Slow and painful. Shortly thereafter, I had laid my old 6wt Sage down on the deck to get a water out of the cooler. My cousin didn't see it and stepped back on the tip and broke it. Both were my fault and I managed to track down the rod and reel and ship them off to him last week. Sage, always good about repairs, turned my 6wt around in less than two weeks. Unfortunately, they charge more, the older the rod is. Still, I couldn't find a better 6wt for $180.00. Then there is the sentimental value. It would have been a relatively inexpensive trip otherwise. :-(

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts