North West Heat

girlfisher

Alpine lake waters are a lot colder in general than down low. Air temperatures especially early morning and nights are milder as well.

Especially with the large snowpack we had, a bunch of those lakes should be fairly cold. Use a thermometer.
If you read my earlier post you will see that I fished a lake near 4,700 feet that had a surface temp of above 67 degrees taken with an accurate thermometer. We quit fishing about 8:00 a.m. when it got uncomfortably warm!

My expectations on this "last chance" lake where much like yours and did not expect these abnormal conditions.

Elliott5400

If you read my earlier post you will see that I fished a lake near 4,700 feet that had a surface temp of above 67 degrees taken with an accurate thermometer. We quit fishing about 8:00 a.m. when it got uncomfortably warm!

My expectations on this "last chance" lake where much like yours and did not expect these abnormal conditions.

I am sure you are one of the few who respect to read water Temps and know when to stop fishing. Props to your care of fisheries.

In my experience most backpackers main concern is having backcountry fish fry and fish tacos. Mmmm.

Anything along the PCT expect crap fishing, those dang PCT freeloaders eating all them trouts.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
just be warned: heat pumps tend to struggle in extreme temps. Hopefully it's able to keep up for you guys.
that’s true. I see this at my dad’s house. We didn’t get a heat pump for one simple reason, i like that my furnace with central air conditioning kicks on and in less than ten minutes I’m warmer or cooler. I did a lot of research on whether i should get a heat pump vs just air conditioner. If i lived in eastern washington it would be no brainer.

We offered our house to our next door neighbors to use this weekend while we are away at a VRBO (which thankfully has air conditioning or i would have cancelled going.) They don’t have air and they have an uptairs bedroom. She’s already taking care of all of my outside plants (something we do for each other often.)

Denny W

I have another 11 days before I fish a lake. I hope by then the temps will be down. I will do what I did on a river in BC. Got tired of catching and releasing I broke the hook off the fly so when they rose to the fly there was no hook. Only a rise to the fly. That's what I enjoy most anyway

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts