North West Heat

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I kept everything closed up yesterday and it reached 84° inside my house.
78° this morning after having all of the back windows open last night to catch the north breeze.
Thank god for cocktails and a ceiling fan in my bedroom, I was able to sleep well.
Watered the tomatoes this morning and moved the pots to where they’ll get shade most of the day. They’ll stay there through Tuesday.
Stay cool everyone.....as much as possible.
SF
Yesterday we had our son and DIL, and Mrs Brian's nephew coming over to celebrate theirs and Mrs Brian's late June birthdays at 4:00 PM. The HVAC outside heat sensor is on a west facing wall, in full afternoon sun. Around 1:30 PM I glanced at the smart thermostat that said the outside temp was 111°. My rooftop weather station; also in full sun has a solar powered fan to help cool the heat sensor in direct sun, read 101°. In hot sunny conditions it typically runs about 5° higher than the local GA airport that NOAA and other weather reporting services use for our area. Our heat pump was doing a fine job keeping the upper story main living area of our tri-level at comfy 73° according to both the smart thermostat and the weather station panel.

At 1:45 PM a car hit a power pole knocking out service to 14K customers :eek:. Being a guy that tries to be a problem solver, I began staging the backup generator, with power cables to run the 'fridge and a couple of fans for the upstairs. It felt brutal outside. Mrs Brian was beginning the meal prep in the kitchen and basically told me to stay the heck out of her way and wait for the power to come back up! :(

Over the next two hours we kept the house closed up, but the inside temp slowly began to rise. A little before 4:00 PM our son and DIL arrived and the inside temp reading was 76°. It still felt OK but I hadn't yet completed the generator startup and began to get concerned :confused: . We were all talking for about 10 minutes when the lights came on , and the HVAC system rebooted!

1624810069315.png

The weather station was reporting 108°. 45 minutes later when our nephew arrived the inside temp had dropped to quite tolerable 75° with an outside temp of 110°.

As the outside temp dropped the house dropped to 73° with the thermostat set to 72° at 9:00 PM. (being a new heat pump user) I knew the outside air was going to stay above 50° (got to 66° actual) so I set the AC for 68°. This morning the house was 68° and I've set the cooling back to 72°.

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Don't have AC in the house, but do in the buggy. Normally the cool central Oregon nights prevent the house from heating up too much, but with lows in the 70's, probably will not cool down enough. We may be moving into the buggy for the next few.

CreekScrambler

I’m grateful to be living out this heat wave in garden-level apartment on the north side of the house. No direct sun all day and it has stayed completely comfortable. I expect I’ll be freezin’ my toes off come winter, but we’ll see. Cold showers, folks!

Peyton00

Odd weekend. We rolled out here friday, expecting mayhem on the water. The lake is quiet with very few boats on the water. The neighbors are no-shows. Saturday and today it's still quiet. Place is a ghost town. Odd weekend.

The wife, grandkid and dogs about to go for a swim.
Decided to take Monday off and avoid another day of work and heat.
20210627_095340.jpg

mcswny

It was 91 in my house at 11:30pm last night. My 3 year old couldnt sleep, went in to get her around midnight and it was a solid 5-10* warmer (she has a big east facing picture window). She’s so miserable and just doesn’t get it. I was able to take her down to and we slept in our unfinished basement and she finally slept.

doesnt look like it’s going to get below 80 tonight

cdnred

It's funny, I remember reading that Oregon is one of the better states, but it turns out that while our average temp and precip won't change much, it's still getting too hot in the summer.

Michigan has great trout, smallmouth, carp, salmon, and "steelhead" fishing. Yes, they aren't really steelhead, but they have actual fishable numbers. You can fish with a reasonable expectation of actually catching one! Big lake run browns, too.

The only downside is it can get pretty humid in the lower peninsula.

Trout don't get as big on the UP, but it's easy to find solitude.
The trout fishing in Michigan is just terrible, better you guys stay away. All our Michigan fish have died out, nothing left here worthwhile to catch. Stay out west, leave the few fish we've got left to the locals.. :p

Merle

Can't remember the last time it was 85 at 10:45 in the morning around here...
:)
Yup... 90F at 10:30 in Buckley today... and this is the “cooler” first day of the heatwave. :
Yesterday we had our son and DIL, and Mrs Brian's nephew's coming over to celebrate theirs and Mrs Brian's late June birthdays at 4:00 PM. The HVAC outside heat sensor is on a west facing wall, in full afternoon sun. Around 1:30 PM I glanced at the smart thermostat that said the outside temp was 111°. My rooftop weather station; also in full sun has a solar powered fan to help cool the heat sensor in direct sun, read 101°. In hot sunny conditions it typically runs about 5° higher than the local GA airport that NOAA and other weather reporting services use for our area. Our heat pump was doing a fine job keeping the upper story main living area of our tri-level at comfy 73° according to both the smart thermostat and the weather station panel.

At 1:45 PM a car hit a power pole knocking out service to 14K customers :eek:. Being a guy that tries to be a problem solver, I began staging the backup generator, with power cables to run the 'fridge and a couple of fans for the upstairs. It felt brutal outside. Mrs Brian was beginning the meal prep in the kitchen and basically told me to stay the heck out of her way and wait for the power to come back up! :(

Over the next two hours we kept the house closed up, but the inside temp slowly began to rise. A little before 4:00 PM our son and DIL arrived and the inside temp reading was 76°. It still felt OK but I hadn't yet completed the generator startup and began to get concerned :confused: . We were all talking for about 10 minutes when the lights came on , and the HVAC system rebooted!

View attachment 286702

The weather station was reporting 108°. 45 minutes later when our nephew arrived the inside temp had dropped to quite tolerable 75° with an outside temp of 110°.

As the outside temp dropped the house dropped to 73° with the thermostat set to 72° at 9:00 PM. (being a new heat pump user) I knew the outside air was going to stay above 50° (got to 66° actual) so I set the AC for 68°. This morning the house was 68° and I've set the cooling back to 72°.
I’m the kind of guy that always worries about what “could” possibly go wrong and one of the things I’ve been ruminating on all week is what it would be like if we had a power outage coincide with this heat wave event. We have a heat pump system as well, and it works great, but if we lost electricity I’m not sure what we’d do.

Glad it worked out for you guys!

andy

girlfisher

It was 91 in my house at 11:30pm last night. My 3 year old couldnt sleep, went in to get her around midnight and it was a solid 5-10* warmer (she has a big east facing picture window). She’s so miserable and just doesn’t get it. I was able to take her down to and we slept in our unfinished basement and she finally slept.

doesnt look like it’s going to get below 80 tonight
Have you looked on Craigslist for used, window, ACs? We have a 12,000 BTU, Window AC that keeps the living room area under 80 degrees.

Peyton00

Yup... 90F at 10:30 in Buckley today... and this is the “cooler” first day of the heatwave. :

I’m the kind of guy that always worries about what “could” possibly go wrong and one of the things I’ve been ruminating on all week is what it would be like if we had a power outage coincide with this heat wave event. We have a heat pump system as well, and it works great, but if we lost electricity I’m not sure what we’d do.

Glad it worked out for you guys!

andy

If you are made of candle wax, you might be in serious trouble. As a human, its just a temporary inconvenience.

splitcane

Double box fans are a decent alternative to AC. One pushing hot air out, one pushing cool air in. If you only have one, push the cool air in.

SilverFly

Not sure if this is a cause or effect of the current heat wave, but check out the SST anomaly that's building rapidly in the NE Pacific. The core hotspot is at least 7F above normal and stands out like a sore thumb on the global SST anomaly map. Something worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/anomaly/

1624821518903.png

EDIT: The actual SST chart for OR/WA isn't looking (other than prospects for exotic offshore species). 17C (62.6) is more in line with the max temps we see out there in August.

1624822236537.png

Last edited:

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
im going full nocturnal starting today. bike rides starting at 10PM in spokane if anyone needs to burn some stress.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts