Some info on Reflectix

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
With Reflectix being so widely used these days there is a surprising lack of information about the tape to use with it. They sell their own branded metallic tape but I would caution against it's use. It is paper backed so it is not as easy to apply and my test show that it just doesn't stick. I don't know what it is useful for but it certainly doesn't mesh well with Reflectix.
The product that I have found to be superior is 3M 3350 metallic tape. This is a thin single layer metallic tape that sticks well and is easy to handle. I have had some on Reflectix panels for over 2 years now and it seems to be holding tight. I use a lot of it because I like to seal all of the raw edges with tape so they can't dog ear.

Finding it may not be as easy as we would like, none of the Amazon options were viable. Home Depot doesn't appear to carry it but if you ask for it on the Lowe's home page it pops right up-under $10 a roll. And Walmart sells it on line so there is that.

There are dozens of different metallic tapes out there that all look alike-shiny and two inches wide but that is where the similarity ends. Low quality tape will unravel early and leave you with a do-over. Since I don't know what the manufacturing process is for Reflectix I always err on the side of caution and wipe all tape contact surfaces with alcohol.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Thanks Ive! I just searched your old posts and ordered some Reflectix and their tape yesterday. Doh! I’ll try it and if it doesn’t work I’ll try something else. I’m planning to make more of a cooler cozy rather than stapling the stuff to my cooler(s) though.

Last edited:

Matt B

WFF Supporter
I did some fabrication in front of the portable A/C yesterday. The Reflectix tape seems like good stuff. It was a little hard peeling the backing off each piece I cut but it wasn’t a major issue. We’ll see how it holds up.

The big cooler has a Reflectix flip top lid. The medium cooler has a pull off Reflectix lid. BBAF09DD-EE91-41A7-8397-BAE7F291C41E.jpeg 841323A3-9CE9-49EC-943E-9DE5F6BD8AC3.jpeg 67F6BFF8-45D0-4478-B669-530B5F768819.jpeg 79582D63-CDC2-4A9A-AD3C-5F5176600CEF.jpeg

Old406Kid

I did some fabrication in front of the portable A/C yesterday. The Reflectix tape seems like good stuff. It was a little hard peeling the backing off each piece I cut but it wasn’t a major issue. We’ll see how it holds up.

The big cooler has a Reflectix flip top lid. The medium cooler has a pull off Reflectix lid. View attachment 286937 View attachment 286938 View attachment 286939 View attachment 286940
If the tape has a paper backing try tearing it instead of cutting. If it's like the plenum foil tape it will leave some frayed edges that make it easier to separate the backing.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts