Wet wadin' footwear recommendations?

Buzzy

Last week I hit a local lake - wet wadin'. I wore an old pair of Danner felts (with studs) and slipped a pair of neoprene socks on so I could snug the boots on my size 12 AA width foot. The boots hurt my feet, I only covered about half as much shoreline as I wanted. Yesterday I hit a lake with @Engee, I traded the Danner's for an old pair of broken down Brooks The Beast (a running shoe). I should have thrown The Beast away a few years ago but sometimes I'm a cheap old man. Anyway, my feet were tired and sore after about two miles of wet wading. Time for a better wadin' shoe.

My wife suggested the big Prime sale and found this shoe: It seems to me I won't be able to get this shoe too snug but wth do I know?

Other suggestions, please.

the_grube

I usually do what you did.. wear my normal wading boots with a neoprene boots. If thats uncomfortable then I need different wading boots.
I did have a pair of Simms wading shoes with felt bottoms and threads for inserting studs. They were great, light and comfortable, but expensive. Sadly my dog chewed one up.

Calico Keta

WFF Premium
Soft science makes very comfortable boots for wet wading.

wanderingrichard

Wet wading, I've used old leather sneakers, and like you neoprene socks, mine inside a set of leather work boots that I'd rubbed heavily with a good leather conditioner inside and out, then coated in another leather preservation product that I've forgotten the name of..placed a few small golf spikes in heel and toes and along the outer edges.. still have them, still work.

dustinchromers

Check out Astral footwear and there's an Adidas (5/10) mountain bike shoe I believe called "cross trail" that works a treat. For heavy wading in tough terrain the Adidas canyoneer shoe is good but it's a boot feeling thing.

Old Man

A very Old Man
Wet wading, I've used old leather sneakers, and like you neoprene socks, mine inside a set of leather work boots that I'd rubbed heavily with a good leather conditioner inside and out, then coated in another leather preservation product that I've forgotten the name of..placed a few small golf spikes in heel and toes and along the outer edges.. still have them, still work.
I had a pair of cheap tennies with a ripple sole. Best wet wading shoes I ever had. I might of bought them at Wigwam a long time ago.

Freestone

WFF Premium
I have tried all kinds of lighter footwear but always ended up with injuries as I tend to wade more aggressively in the summer. Now I use normal wading boots (in a size down) with a pair of Patagonia neoprene socks. Perfectly comfy combo and they offer wonderful protection.

Salmo_g

WFF Premium
I used to have no alternative to my regular wading boots, but those are too large for any wet wading application. Now I have added some neoprene booties for tropical flats wading that might work well for lakes. I have also added lug sole wading boots for where felt soles are not permitted, like Yellowstone. And a pair of felt sole boots in my street shoe size for where they are. My latest addition are an old pair of Teva sandals I found in the garage and glued felt soles to this past weekend. I intend to give those a try this week. I'm hoping they work out well in the hot weather.

Zak

WFF Premium
I used to have no alternative to my regular wading boots, but those are too large for any wet wading application. Now I have added some neoprene booties for tropical flats wading that might work well for lakes. I have also added lug sole wading boots for where felt soles are not permitted, like Yellowstone. And a pair of felt sole boots in my street shoe size for where they are. My latest addition are an old pair of Teva sandals I found in the garage and glued felt soles to this past weekend. I intend to give those a try this week. I'm hoping they work out well in the hot weather.
Watch out for bashing your toes!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts