Wet wadin' footwear recommendations?

the_grube

Its all situation specific. I wet wade the same waters that I wade in winter and fall with waders and boots. So it makes sense to use the same boots. I mostly fish the North Umpqua.. felt, cleats and ankle support trump lightweight, dry fast factors. That river takes no prisoners... I have the scars to prove it.

George Loomis

I use Simms felt wading shoes (they also make sandals, but I like the added protection of the shoes). These are reasonable when I'm in and out of a raft. But, for days with strictly wading involved and rocky wades and longer days, then neoprene socks and wading boots offer much better protection from rock bruises.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I wore a pair of sandals wet wading one time. And one time was enough. I couldn't keep the fine gravel out from my sole and the sandal. Felt I was walking over big rocks. Now at my advanced age I don't even wade anymore. I pull up to a spot, get my folding chair out of my truck and relax as I cast my fly around. Hooked up a few times doing it that way.

Anyway just getting out there is the drug that works wonders for me.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I ordered these but haven't received then yet.
Will update once i use them
Please do, I was concerened about the chaffing comments.
My latest addition are an old pair of Teva sandals I found in the garage and glued felt soles to this past weekend. I intend to give those a try this week. I'm hoping they work out well in the hot weather.
I love wading in sandals when appropriate, but I'll also wear my rubber sole boots or krokers with felt soles (both with heavy wool socks, if the conditions call for it. I think it really depends on where you will be (grip) and protection you need.
20200802_me_small (3).jpg

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter

I love wading in sandals when appropriate, but I'll also wear my rubber sole boots or krokers with felt soles (both with heavy wool socks, if the conditions call for it. I think it really depends on where you will be (grip) and protection you need.
View attachment 286390
Just too hard to hike on rocky uneven terrain in sandles - great for the beach though or maybe on a boat.

cheers

Last edited:

Bruce Baker

Mrdiecky said:
I ordered these but haven't received then yet.

Men's PRO Approach Wet Wading Shoes | Orvis

The rugged Men's PRO Approach Shoes take you from wet wading to boating to hiking in comfort.
www.orvis.com
www.orvis.com
Will update once i use them

MGTom said:

@MGTom, I have a pair of the Orvis Pro Approach Wet Wading Shoes and I had no issues with chaffing. I wore them right out of th box with a pair of Cabela's brand lightweight wool socks. At the end of the first day, my feet were very happy when I took the socks off. I think on day two I wore a pair of Smartwool polypropylene liner socks and my feet felt much better at the end of the day. I had some email exchanges with the gentleman from Orvis that designed the shoe and told me he wears a cotton/polyester quarter sock from Bombas. So I bought a couple of pair from Bombas to try out next time.

chief

I think they are discontinued, but if you can find a pair of these in your size they have been great boots for wet wading for carp and trout rivers:

Very light weight, super sticky soles, and pretty comfortable with a pair of neoprene socks.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
I have Simms wading sandals with thin neoprene socks and I wear liner socks under the neoprene. It works extremely well for my flats sneakers as well.

Porter

Soft science makes very comfortable boots for wet wading.
Wish I had known about those, have to keep these in mind next time.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts