Please help a newbe with saltwater

So I'm looking for some much needed advice! I know I did not prepare well for this, my wife booked us a camping spot for this weekend in Tokeland. I have never fished saltwater in my life. With that being said I figured maybe there would be some streams or something around here. Man was I way off. Anyhow I packed up a couple poles and my sling bag (man did that really p#$s her off because "this is supposed to be a family thing, and all you worry about is fly fishing"). I brought along my cheap TFO 9' 8wt combo, and a 5wt setup. My question is a little advice to may be do some beach fishing? Flies, tides, times ect. I took a screen shot of my current location if that would be of any help. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210625-003437_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210625-003437_Maps.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 71

Eyejuggler

High bank poacher
WFF Supporter
I am super not familiar with the area, however I fish salt and would say toss the 8 weight for surf perch on the beach.
Otherwise, I really get the sense you might be best to chill with the family and have a coupla tokes...better to acquiesce now and increase your family cred than to waste it on unfamiliar territory.
Do your research and come back solo!
Surf perch post on WFF

Gyrfalcon21

My only real advice is if you are new, be very careful!
Saltwater, tides and that area in particular has claimed more than a few lives, and recently. Don't push your luck.

My saltwater advice for a safe rookie would be fish just past high tide off big rocks. Stay away from any incoming tides and off mudflats. If you mess with beaches, understand riptides and sneaker waves.

Research later about Great White, Sixgill and Sevengill Sharks that inhabit Willipa Bay.

Last edited:
My only real advice is if you are new, be very careful!
Saltwater, tides and that area in particular has claimed more than a few lives, and recently. Don't push your luck.

My saltwater advice for a safe rookie would be fish just past high tide off big rocks. Stay away from any incoming tides and off mudflats. If you mess with beaches, understand riptides and sneaker waves.

Research later about Great White, Sixgill and Sevengill Sharks that inhabit Willipa Bay.
Thank you for the advice and the knowledge. I downloaded an app for the tides and know a little about it. At the risk of sounding dumb as hell what is considered a mudflat because there is an area right across from where we are staying thats pretty soupy the wife and kids and I went down there mid afternoon yesterday after the tide had went out and over to a little peninsula/island area, is that a bad idea if I watch the tides ( falling, stable, ect.)?

Also what about fly selection when I'm fishing off the rocks at high tide? I have a few clouser minnows white/pink and black/green. I only really have freshwater tackle, but I do have some sculpin streamers and leaches will any of that be productive?

I am super not familiar with the area, however I fish salt and would say toss the 8 weight for surf perch on the beach.
Otherwise, I really get the sense you might be best to chill with the family and have a coupla tokes...better to acquiesce now and increase your family cred than to waste it on unfamiliar territory.
Do your research and come back solo!
Surf perch post on WFF
I just found out my 12 yr. Son brought my salmon pole (spinning) but he grabbed the trout tackle haha... him and I will probably sneak away for a few casts...

Unfamiliar territory is my love/hate relationship with fly fishing, because there is probably always a good spot around the next corner. Then 5 miles later and no fish haha familiar territory!!!

Gyrfalcon21

I am no expert on fishing in that spot. I do know the layout some. My choices in saltwater on our coast are longer rock jetties where it is fairly straight forward. Get any fly down to the right depth.
Reservation is right in that area as well so watch that you are fishing legal water. Looks like your red spot is on reservation..another can of worms. Look into that.
The area of iffy muck walking is also the area with trees stacked up to the north. I think you'd want to fish the area of rocks just a bit more north and as it turns into true beach, sand, tapered slow gradual to road. It then stays normal surf to Westport. You'd have sea perch in any water possible. Back to the rocks and deeper water, you'd have different species of fish.

Beautiful historic area. Really be conservative around beaches and waves if you aren't experienced. Can't emphasize it enough. Might be best to fish the inner harbor at high tide right off the road rocks inside Willipa Bay as you head SE towards Raymond.

Have fun !

Last edited:

East Coaster

Just want to amplify what @Gyrfalcon21 said - if you're not experienced fishing the surf, be very careful. Even "little" waves pack a lot of punch and can easily knock you down. Never turn your back to the surf, but also, don't stand so that your body is facing square to the waves either (a mistake I see a lot of people make). Try to orient yourself so you are sideways to the waves and they are hitting as small a surface area as possible (and your "back" leg acts as a brace).. Also, be wary of the returning waves (rip currents), which can easily take your feet out from under you if you're not careful. If you don't have a stripping basket, line management in surf will be extremely difficult, and most importantly, will likely distract you from paying attention to the surf, which adds to the danger.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
So I'm looking for some much needed advice! I know I did not prepare well for this, my wife booked us a camping spot for this weekend in Tokeland. I have never fished saltwater in my life. With that being said I figured maybe there would be some streams or something around here. Man was I way off. Anyhow I packed up a couple poles and my sling bag (man did that really p#$s her off because "this is supposed to be a family thing, and all you worry about is fly fishing"). I brought along my cheap TFO 9' 8wt combo, and a 5wt setup. My question is a little advice to may be do some beach fishing? Flies, tides, times ect. I took a screen shot of my current location if that would be of any help. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Get up early, before everyone else. Enjoy the sunrise. Get some casts in, head back and make everyone breakfast. She won't mind you fishing much if you do it while she sleeps in with the kids and breakfast is ready when you get back. :D

HackleHound0091

Get up early, before everyone else. Enjoy the sunrise. Get some casts in, head back and make everyone breakfast. She won't mind you fishing much if you do it while she sleeps in with the kids and breakfast is ready when you get back. :D
I have fished that area. The beaches between Westport and Grayland and lower all have surf perch, unfortunately, I failed flyfishing for them because you simply cant get out far enough with a fly rod.
Between Tokeland and Grayland are a few creeks, Smith Creek and Cedar but you have to be on top of the tides and regs. You can get a tide book at Dennison's in Raymond, a great all-around store for gardening, fishing, hunting stuff.

If you have kids with you, I would switch your thinking to crabbing off the Westport docks, lots of people do it and it is super easy and fun. Get a crab ring or two and crab gauge from Dennison's in Raymond and fish heads/guts/bait from any of the fishermen or canneries in Westport---done. Most of your crabs will be undersized so you MUST have a crab gauge.

Also, buy several kites from various kite shops in Raymond or Westport and fly them on the beach.

Walk around in Westport, lots of shops, the kids will love it.

Like others have said, might want to forget about the flyfishing lots of other fun stuff, besides the kites on the beach, and you can drive that whole beach [unlike Oregon] and crabbing, go to the Carriage Museum in Raymond. Make sure you go to Brady's Oysters---THE BEST OYSTERS IN THE WORLD.

Also the Cranberry bogs around Grayland and the Cranberry Museum, a MUST.

Hope that helps................>))))))*>..........

So, unless you bring some conventional gear for the surf perch, do all the other fun things with your family.

Ragtimewilly

I’ve tried fly fishing for surfperch around Westport when thanking a break from surfing. There’s some good threads on here from people who seem to be pretty successful...me not so much. I think there’s a learning curve, but that’s what makes this all worth while.

Flies that are orange and red seem to be popular choices. Here’s a good site if you really want to dive in: https://zenflyfishing.com/

HackleHound0091

Some good advice above.

The beaches between Westport south through Grayland and North Cove don't have undertows and you wouldn't be wading out further than your waist, and there won't be big waves so that isn't a problem, the problem is trying to cast a flyrod in the wind far enough to where the fish are. You might get lucky tho. Definitely do it during a tidal change or high tide. Try Polychete worm imitations, and simple weighted red/yellow marabou works.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts