Gear Do all rods break during normal use?

Questions about flyfishing gear, camping gear, whatever.

p.t.

Most of my rods are budget rods, only a few are those more expensive name brand rods. Among these, I broke two of them during normal use. More accurately, they broke during a backward cast and forward cast, respectively. Not too big flies, no over line, all within reasonable range of use. One of them is a $400 single-handed rod, the other is a $800 double-handed rod, they are at the lower end of the product line from a famous and reputable company. (With great warranty, I must add.)

So, my question is, has anybody experienced the same thing? I mean, big-name, expensive rods break during normal casting? If I spend more money to go for thousand-dollar rods, will they be worth the money? (Not considering the lifetime warranty.)

Love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Gyrfalcon21

I do not have experience with expensive rods much, but I would think any rod where the ferrules are not seated fully could break on aggressive casting.

I can break anything.

suckegg

Once I was rigging up, putting the tip section on the rod and as I was looking up the rod about an inch and a half of tip just fell off. I felt like I was on candid camera and it was a joke.

Some rods are tougher than others no question.

You could ding a rod and not even realize it easily.

How far from the corks did they break?

I've seen plenty of rods break in ways and places that didn't make sense.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Are you sure that you never ever hit your rod with a fly in the wind. When that happens it creates a nick that you just can't see with a naked eye. A few cast makes it get weaker to breaking when you least expect it.
What OMJ said. If these were breaks are in the middle of a section, this is very likely the cause; graphite is very susceptible to this sort of damage, a few dings with a fly, especially a heavier weighted nymph or streamer can lead to this sort of breakage, especially, I believe, in cold weather when the graphite is more brittle.

Fish cane, they don't break :rolleyes:.

cheers

Buzzy

Budget rods at $800? :rolleyes:

In general, rods don't break on a forward cast or back cast - I've broken rods on forward casts, on a back cast but then in each case I'd either hit the rod with a fly at some point or had Engee kneel on it. Only in one case, as Suckegg suggests, have I had a rod (in my case a tip) break that I believe was a factory issue.

For what its worth, I bought a rod this year, $69.95, got a spare tip for another $20.00. I consider that a budget rod.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Budget rods at $800? :rolleyes:

In general, rods don't break on a forward cast or back cast - I've broken rods on forward casts, on a back cast but then in each case I'd either hit the rod with a fly at some point or had Engee kneel on it. Only in one case, as Suckegg suggests, have I had a rod (in my case a tip) break that I believe was a factory issue.

For what its worth, I bought a rod this year, $69.95, got a spare tip for another $20.00. I consider that a budget rod.
I'd like to have that as a budget. Where do I sign up.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
One thing most people don't realize:

Higher priced rods are often priced higher because they use higher modulus graphite, which is more expensive. While higher modulus graphite is lighter and more responsive, it's not nearly as durable, and far more prone to breakage from minimal trauma.

Cheap rods tend to use that heavy duty cheaper graphite that will take a bit more abuse.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts