Gear Do all rods break during normal use?

Questions about flyfishing gear, camping gear, whatever.

p.t.

Most of my rods are budget rods, only a few are those more expensive name brand rods. Among these, I broke two of them during normal use. More accurately, they broke during a backward cast and forward cast, respectively. Not too big flies, no over line, all within reasonable range of use. One of them is a $400 single-handed rod, the other is a $800 double-handed rod, they are at the lower end of the product line from a famous and reputable company. (With great warranty, I must add.)

So, my question is, has anybody experienced the same thing? I mean, big-name, expensive rods break during normal casting? If I spend more money to go for thousand-dollar rods, will they be worth the money? (Not considering the lifetime warranty.)

Love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Gyrfalcon21

I still have my little late 80's/early 90's Fenwick boron 4 1/2 footer spin rod I caught many trout, jacks and a few adult salmon on. Boron rage was short lived because of perceived brittleness.

longputt

Should be required reading for everyone:

Rod Failure by Tom Kirkman
The one failure mode that is left out of this article is: the bad design. Many years ago I got a rod I can't recall much other than it was 9' for 7wt. First trip it broke, got it replaced and that rod broke immediately, I went back to get it replaced and the rod had been discontinued and my money was reimbursed. Sometimes these high end high modulus rods are too fragile.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Glass rods are almost unbreakable, graphite rods are another story.

Once IMX graphite rods were introduced, breakage became more common place even during normal usage. As rods became more breakable, warranties came with less and less coverage and cost more and more to be repaired/replaced.

Faster action rods = faster to break.
Lighter weight rods = lightens your wallet quicker.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Once IMX graphite rods were introduced, breakage became more common place even during normal usage. As rods became more breakable, warranties came with less and less coverage and cost more and more to be repaired/replaced.

Faster action rods = faster to break.
Lighter weight rods = lightens your wallet quicker.

The problem is that people are under the mistaken idea that fast rods create high line speed and fly rod manufacturers sell their products accordingly.

Moderate action rods can be designed for high libe speed if the designer knows what they are doing. Most rods nowadays are too light and too stiff.

Jack MeHoff

The problem is that people are under the mistaken idea that fast rods create high line speed and fly rod manufacturers sell their products accordingly.

Moderate action rods can be designed for high libe speed if the designer knows what they are doing. Most rods nowadays are too light and too stiff.
I hope the rod makers read this & start making heavier & slower rods,

Rob Allen

I hope the rod makers read this & start making heavier & slower rods,

Well heavier is a relative term most rods within a given line weight are within fractions of an ounce. It's more a matter of where in the rod blank the weight and stiffness is and what that weight and stiffness accomplishes.

Reactions: dfl

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts