Gear Do all rods break during normal use?

Questions about flyfishing gear, camping gear, whatever.

p.t.

Most of my rods are budget rods, only a few are those more expensive name brand rods. Among these, I broke two of them during normal use. More accurately, they broke during a backward cast and forward cast, respectively. Not too big flies, no over line, all within reasonable range of use. One of them is a $400 single-handed rod, the other is a $800 double-handed rod, they are at the lower end of the product line from a famous and reputable company. (With great warranty, I must add.)

So, my question is, has anybody experienced the same thing? I mean, big-name, expensive rods break during normal casting? If I spend more money to go for thousand-dollar rods, will they be worth the money? (Not considering the lifetime warranty.)

Love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Old Man

A very Old Man
I watched or heard Matt Burke take a Loop yellow Spey rod 4 piece and make it a seven piece rod. We were by the Cement Plant in Silvana, fishing for Pinks or Silvers. It was a long time ago. He would really put his arm and back into it. He was a monster when casting any fly rod.

Rob Allen

Most of my rods are budget rods, only a few are those more expensive name brand rods. Among these, I broke two of them during normal use. More accurately, they broke during a backward cast and forward cast, respectively. Not too big flies, no over line, all within reasonable range of use. One of them is a $400 single-handed rod, the other is a $800 double-handed rod, they are at the lower end of the product line from a famous and reputable company. (With great warranty, I must add.)

So, my question is, has anybody experienced the same thing? I mean, big-name, expensive rods break during normal casting? If I spend more money to go for thousand-dollar rods, will they be worth the money? (Not considering the lifetime warranty.)

If a rod is defective you'll break it within the first couple outings.. other than that there is some kind of damage or error that caused the breakage.

What I find common is that people misunderstand what normal use is..
Here is an example.
I worked at the Madison River Fishing Company for 3 years in the late 90s. It was common for the guides to have their clients fishing a double bunny and a beadhead and a twist on or two. All of this on whatever rod the customer brought, usually a 9 ft 5 wt. This was considered by the customer as normal use, after all the guide knows what he is doing. Right?
This is severe abuse of a 9ft 5 wt this is territory of heavy 6s 7s or 8s. But it's done so often people don't think of it as abuse but it is regardless of how common it is.

Reactions: Hem

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon

If the rods were more than a few trips old, almost certainly caused by some type of "injury" whether you noticed it or not. Something as unnoticeable as wrapping it up in the rod sock wrong and putting it in the case. I've seen it where a stripping guide can put immense pressure on another section through a rod sock. Or it got hit with a fly without you noticing, got a bigger dent than you realized when you set it on that rock on the river bank, etc.

Graphite doesn't suddenly become defective. So for it to hold a load during a cast just fine for multiple trips, then suddenly break; something happened along the way to cause it. Graphite can either hold the load or it can't. So if it held that load just fine, and not break, nothing was wrong with it. If the same load caused it to fail later on, then something happened.

Rob Allen

If the rods were more than a few trips old, almost certainly caused by some type of "injury" whether you noticed it or not. Something as unnoticeable as wrapping it up in the rod sock wrong and putting it in the case. I've seen it where a stripping guide can put immense pressure on another section through a rod sock. Or it got hit with a fly without you noticing, got a bigger dent than you realized when you set it on that rock on the river bank, etc.

Graphite doesn't suddenly become defective. So for it to hold a load during a cast just fine for multiple trips, then suddenly break; something happened along the way to cause it. Graphite can either hold the load or it can't. So if it held that load just fine, and not break, nothing was wrong with it. If the same load caused it to fail later on, then something happened.
Exactly.

Jack MeHoff

i broke a 9140 sage in a ceiling fan, called them up & after the representative heard my tale of woe. She laughs and told me I was the only person that didn't break a rod playing a giant fish .

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
From Winston web site:

"
WHY DO MY FERRULES KEEP COMING APART?
Generally, the culprit for loose ferrules comes down to 3 different problems, usually #1 or #2 below.

1. The section is not being tightened down effectively.
  2. The ferrules have accumulated excess dirt and grime and are preventing proper ferrule fit.
  3. The female ferrule has cracked preventing proper ferrule fit.
Regularly cleaning the ferrules with a soft cotton swab and denatured alcohol will help maintain ferrule fit for the life of your Winston rod. If you suspect the female ferrule has cracked, please return the rod to our Repair Department so we can adjust the ferrule fit."

Old Man

A very Old Man
I had my rod in the back seat of my Subaru. Of course it was fully rigged. I had one of our dogs with me just going for a ride. The dog got tangled in the leader and got wound up and he broke my TFO finesse rod. It was a 7'9" 3wt. New rod, no questions asked. This was about 13 years ago. My last rod that I ever broke.

Had a GL3 2 piece 9' 5wt. Put it away in it's case. When I went to use it the top guide fell off.

Hem

If a rod is defective you'll break it within the first couple outings.. other than that there is some kind of damage or error that caused the breakage.

What I find common is that people misunderstand what normal use is..
Here is an example.
I worked at the Madison River Fishing Company for 3 years in the late 90s. It was common for the guides to have their clients fishing a double bunny and a beadhead and a twist on or two. All of this on whatever rod the customer brought, usually a 9 ft 5 wt. This was considered by the customer as normal use, after all the guide knows what he is doing. Right?
This is severe abuse of a 9ft 5 wt this is territory of heavy 6s 7s or 8s. But it's done so often people don't think of it as abuse but it is regardless of how common it is.
This explains alot.
I would bet a high percentage of average/vacation fishermen don't understand what the limitations of their rods are...but heck everyone says a 5 wght is all you need in Montana.

Rob Allen

This explains alot.
I would bet a high percentage of average/vacation fishermen don't understand what the limitations of their rods are...but heck everyone says a 5 wght is all you need in Montana.

It's all you need for dries and bedhead
Better choices exist for streamers and stone nymphs. I know washington fly fishing isn't representative of "most fly fishermen " because most have one rod and fish less that two weeks per year. They have been fly fishing for "20 years" but really that's less than 1 years experience.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
There is a lot of pressure to bring a fish to hand ASAP. That may lead to exceeding rod capabilities. Rod Tip Up! can result in high sticking and breakage. People do not understand what an open loop means when using weighted flies/beadhead and the damage it does to a rod leading to breakage if you do not.

dragless

There are also some ”Types” of people that break almost anything you put in their hands.
Just their nature.I think some are born that way.I have seen it so often, I know it’s a fact of life.
Graphite fly rods are one of those things that people that break shit all the time should not even touch…don’t even walk by ‘em.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts