Burkheimer 6-7-8 12'5" Spey rod - salt safe - how old is this ?

4sallypat

Picked up a great deal on a C F Burkheimer spey rod at my casting club auction.
Looking to take it to Hawaii to fish the flats & surf.
Have no experience with Burkheimer so that's why I am asking.

Is the rod able to handle salt water ?

My reels and other rods are all salt safe but worried that this rod is not....

Don't know how old this model is either.

Anyone shed some light on this Burkie ?
IMG_7445.jpg

Rob Allen

Picked up a great deal on a C F Burkheimer spey rod at my casting club auction.
Looking to take it to Hawaii to fish the flats & surf.
Have no experience with Burkheimer so that's why I am asking.

Is the rod able to handle salt water ?

My reels and other rods are all salt safe but worried that this rod is not....

Don't know how old this model is either.

Anyone shed some light on this Burkie ?
View attachment 286700
Here are the areas you may encounter problems with.. the winding check. And the guides. Dealt them after each and you should be ok.. I am just guessing that it has the black aluminum reel seat which should be fine.

cdnred

Your best bet is to go directly to the source CF Burkheimer, either email or give them a phone call. These guys will go out of their way to help you out. If you can give them the serial number, they can give you all the specs and what that specific rod was designed for..

CF Burkheimer, 2001 Main Street, Washougal, WA, 98671360-835-1420 [email protected]

4sallypat

Take what I am asking with a grain of salt, but why do you want to use that on the flats? Seems like the wrong tool for the job. I can't imagine trying to land an angry bone or gt with that long of a rod.
Thanks everyone!

I will call Burkheimer tomorrow.

As for the "wrong" rod in Hawaii, I am using this for surf fishing for perch, goatfish, trevally and other species.

I booked a Hawaii flats guide said he will provide a single hand rod for bonefish, but I am not good at casting SH rods.
I have a fear of a hook whizzing behind & forwards.....

Even offered to cast his spin/bait cast rods if I can't land the fly in front of bonefish...

He did say if I can do a roll cast, I should be good.

But if I can't hook into a bonefish, he said he has spots where I can blind cast with my spey rods for trevally, jackfish and other species.

I am happy catching any species on my spey rod - does not matter if the fish pulls 1 foot or 100 feet of line...

Somehow every guide thinks bonefish angling is the only species to target....

Must be a mainland / Christmas Island trend ?

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

I own this rod, and I can't even fathom using it in the salt. Perfect for fall browns or A-run steelhead. Anything will work in the salt provided you rinse it when you're done. That goes for gear intended for salt use. As for contacting Burkheimer, Rob replied to your inquiry, and he used to work there. I would suggest you learn to cast single handed for tropical salt.

MG SPEY

The 7125-3 is one of my favorite rods but traveling with a 3 piece rod can't be fun but that's just me. Leave it a home and use a single hand or a 4 piece switch rod. Excellent rod and have fun with it.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts