Hawaii flats and surf fishing - Oahu - footwear adequate for coral/reefs ?

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
Thank you for that very useful info!

I contacted Nervous Waters fly shop which is close by my hotel in Waikiki and will be stopping by to pick up some wading socks and flies.

As for casting, my guide says his rods are overlined and front heavy to make it easy to cast. I just don't have the coordination to haul or double haul so I am going to rely on spey casts with a SH rod.

BTW: Instead of carrying the spey rods as checked luggage, it was cheaper to send them via US Postal Priority which I just mailed out to my hotel. After the trip, I have a return label for them to ship back to me.

Will hopefully report back with a trip report.

Spey casts are unlikely to be very effective for sight fishing. Not fast enough to get the fly in front of the fish, and the noise of your D loop ripping out of the water is probably going to spook any fish you are close enough to cast to. Having said that, I have never tried it, so maybe you can find a way to make it work.

There are spots on Oahu that you can blind cast for bonefish. Spey rods might be more effective for that.

Chason

Once i learned how to cast a 2 handed rod in a river, i wondered why i had never seen it used in still water. Then i made a trip with a spey rod for lake trout and learned why... as Chucker said above, the noise of the D loop, and the lack of precision for sight casting just lacked compared to learning a good double haul. So i went to the park, found a large open corner and started working the double haul. I hope the OP has a great trip and knows how to spey cast better than I. Please give us a trip report when you return, and if you ever would like help learning the double haul, let me know and i could meet up and help out sometime. My wife is a novice caster and learned the double pretty quick for a trip to fiji

Mems

Longer rods are no good in Hawaii. Even the 10 foot rods guys bring over are a liability. You can cover water with a Spey or

Mems

Switch rods but not good for accuracy and terrible to fight and land bonefish. Double haul pull before 12 on back stroke pull before 12 on fore stroke. Just practice. Muscle memory takes 1,000 practices. To catch bones let the fly sink to the bottom and do small tugs. Don’t pull the fly towards the fish. If the fish stops around your fly small set and let them go. Had a client lose one last week by not letting the fish go. You can’t stop a big bone. Good luck.

4sallypat

Spey casts are unlikely to be very effective for sight fishing. Not fast enough to get the fly in front of the fish, and the noise of your D loop ripping out of the water is probably going to spook any fish you are close enough to cast to. Having said that, I have never tried it, so maybe you can find a way to make it work.

There are spots on Oahu that you can blind cast for bonefish. Spey rods might be more effective for that.
We'll see if the guide's hard on for bonefish will come to fruition - he said the tide is perfect at negative tide.

Like I said previously, I'd rather target other species (trevally, papio, goatfish, etc) instead of sight targeted species.

Have had nothing but bad experiences SH casting, my spey casts have become very accurate and the lines I use cuts thru the wind.
And to make the spey casts work, I would use an aerial touch & go cast like a snake roll, single spey or spiral spey.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info