PNW Offshore 2021

NRC

WFF Premium
Yeah, drat--maybe I will book an earlier date for 2022. Or actually get out more than once/year. It sounds like you a had at least one good tuna run though.
So tough to time it. I went the summer before this past one on Aug 1 and it was too early that year. Bit of a crapshoot! Seems like more than once a year is the ticket if you’ve got the time and dough.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Yeah, drat--maybe I will book an earlier date for 2022. Or actually get out more than once/year. It sounds like you a had at least one good tuna run though.
My best trips the last two years have been in early October. So don't get the idea you can predict the prime time. It's very unpredictable.

Bagman

I've got way too much shit going on for you guys to be talking about this! ;)

Gotta have the house ready to sell within a week. Just made an offer on a couple acres .... on water that still has a few steelhead and salmon. Signing papers on a rental house today. Staining deck rails this afternoon.... boxing shit....dump runs, ..... moving..... arrgh!

With my luck somebody will get out there and land a 100# bluefin on a popper!
I just got a text from a friend telling me the 35 to 100lb blue fins are showing up in Monetary Bay.

Nick Clayton

WFF Premium
This has been an odd year, for everyone. From start till now it hasn't really changed. It's stayed consistently inconsistent.

The biggest challenge this year has been adapting to fish the green water. That's been one consistent thing this whole year, 90% of the fish I've caught were caught in dirty green to clean green water, sometimes that kinda dirty blue stuff. Very little time was spent in that great, warm, crystal clear blue water. It wasn't due to a lack of that water available, but rather the lack of fish in it. I spent so much time in 58-59 degree green water, and caught plenty of fish in it. It took a bit for me to adapt to that. It's a scenario where you really have to pay attention to the other signs available, and trust your eyes. The comforting thing is that this was the same for everyone. The six pack boats, over night charters, sport boats, and even commercial boats. I couldn't believe the number of days I fished in the same green water as commercial and overnight charter boats. .

There's always fish in this type of water, and I've fished it before and caught in it, but most of the time we would run right by those fish to the fish in the better water. The problem with green water fish is they tend to be pretty fickle. It can be really tough to really get those fish up and going consistently. They'll eat troll stuff no problem, but getting them to go on bait, or flies for that matter, while stopped is often tough.

I've been reading a lot about this oxygenation dead zone. Apparently it happens every year, but I read this year it started earlier than ever before. It's hard not to believe that this had an impact, not only on the albacore but also on the other strange stuff I experienced this year. But I'm no scientist, I dunno

As far as timing goes, that's definitely the toughest thing with planning a trip. There is just no way to know from year to year. Some of the best Tuna fishing I've seen was my first charter season when we started catching them mid June. Also some of the best I've seen was up till mid October in 2019. Absolutely no way to predict when it will start or end. It's frustrating but adds to the allure of this fishery to me.

It's not officially over for us. We have boats going tomorrow and depending on what they find we will make a decision after that.

Last edited:

SilverFly

This has been an odd year, for everyone. From start till now it hasn't really changed. It's stayed consistently inconsistent.

The biggest challenge this year has been adapting to fish the green water. That's been one consistent thing this whole year, 90% of the fish I've caught were caught in dirty green to clean green water, sometimes that kinda dirty blue stuff. Very little time was spent in that great, warm, crystal clear blue water. It wasn't due to a lack of that water available, but rather the lack of fish in it. I spent so much time in 58-59 degree green water, and caught plenty of fish in it. It took a bit for me to adapt to that. It's a scenario where you really have to pay attention to the other signs available, and trust your eyes. The comforting thing is that this was the same for everyone. The six pack boats, over night charters, sport boats, and even commercial boats. I couldn't believe the number of days I fished in the same green water as commercial and overnight charter boats. .

There's always fish in this type of water, and I've fished it before and caught in it, but most of the time we would run right by those fish to the fish in the better water. The problem with green water fish is they tend to be pretty fickle. It can be really tough to really get those fish up and going consistently. They'll eat troll stuff no problem, but getting them to go on bait, or flies for that matter, while stopped is often tough.

I've been reading a lot about this oxygenation dead zone. Apparently it happens every year, but I read this year it started earlier than ever before. It's hard not to believe that this had an impact, not only on the albacore but also on the other strange stuff I experienced this year. But I'm no scientist, I dunno

As far as timing goes, that's definitely the toughest thing with planning a trip. There is just no way to know from year to year. Some of the best Tuna fishing I've seen was my first charter season when we started catching them mid June. Also some of the best I've seen was up till mid October in 2019. Absolutely no way to predict when it will start or end. It's frustrating but adds to the allure of this fishery to me.

It's not officially over for us. We have boats going tomorrow and depending on what they find we will make a decision after that.

Figures the first year fly crews were representing in force, that we ended up having the strangest offshore conditions in recent memory. The takeaway I'm holding onto was that those fly crews performed on the same (relatively shitty) level, if not better on average, than standard bait and gear crews .... with 50% more lines in the water.

I can only imagine the stuff you'll hearing on the radio if we get the same crews out next year, in average to good fishing.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts