PNW Offshore 2021

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Eh, maybe a bit, but I wasn't upset. I almost called you both on 68 to let you know I wasn't working with any intel, just checking out some new water, and to suggest we spread out more just to aid in searching. I worked that break up and out, way out, and found everything I'd want to see, except tuna.
no bueno. if next week pans out, weather-wise, I'm thinking heading SW of the Canyon out of CR. But I'd like to hear something positive between now and then. I'll probably go either way and switch to long leader bottom fish grocery shopping if tuna aren't home.

SilverFly

Finally a good (great actually) report from an overnight trip out of Newport. 92 albacore and a non-peanut (34#) bluefin.

Ended up with 92 with one a true 34 pound bluefin
First fish on top of the pig. Most came from 45.11
/-125 12 -20
Overnight Wed and Thursday.
Kinda sloppy but not horrible
Sorry about the belated post

edit: Added SST/Current/Chlorophyll shots of the area for reference.

Overnight-92+34lbBFT-Coords.jpg

Overnight-92+34lbBFT-3day-Chloro.jpg

Last edited:

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
predictably, the weather window I was drooling over seems to be closing up. My first tuna trip of the season gets pushed back yet again

SilverFly

predictably, the weather window I was drooling over seems to be closing up. My first tuna trip of the season gets pushed back yet again

Join the club. Tues was sketchy but now is looking no-go. I've almost gotten to the point I want to see a shitty forecast a few days before because it always changes.

Bob Smith

WFF Premium
The marlin was examined by biologists and then consumed (at least sampled ha ha). You'll have to register to view but here's the link to the thread from Humboldt Tuna Club:

To save some hassle, I copied and pasted the postmortem discussion (photos not included):

The dissection yesterday revealed a crack in the gill cover, not healed, with a fresh hematoma bloody bruise inside. All four biologists present (expertise in birds, marine mammals and primates) agreed that he had recently bled to death from some impact trauma, the injury not from post mortem impact with rocks on the way to the beach. This lessened the concern of toxins from infection, all the flesh was very fresh, and some helminth parasites in the mouth were still alive. So... it tasted like swordfish. Everyone doing fine, though if any gastric discomfort had occurred it would have been difficult to diagnose a clear cause due to the quantities of fresh oysters and frozen rock cod plus condiments that also were consumed. We had small portions of the marlin, just to taste, confirmed by far preference for albacore.
Here are a few more pix. The long black parasitic copepods are Pennella, also attach/embed into whales and dolphins. The males stay small, those are females, gills at the end, and the long skinny tubes coming from them contain eggs. The long tapering aft part of the anal fin another indicator of striped marlin. The cut away photo of one of their three anchors in the flesh also shows the long narrow scales just under the skin, a couple on top.
All votes are for Kajikia audax, stripped marlin. If anyone has other insights, story, references etc please post, getting to examine a marlin in these waters is very rare!

SilverFly

Weird/tough year so far. Weather so far has been shit. Few boats getting out has limited fresh intel on tuna whereabouts and effective tactics. Following the few reports there are, it sounds like most of the albacore are between Newport and Garibaldi.

Per Mike C. of Shake N Bake
It was slow yesterday. (8/4)

We ran south to 45.50/125.15 and marked a lot of fish, but they would not bite.

We got 2 on the troll and that was it.

Do not go north as the boats that were north got zero.

Mike C

Unfortunately not much happening out of Westport now where most of our (and all 3 of my) fly trips are booked. However, there are reasons for hope:

(1) the offshore waters of the Columbia River are, by far, the most consistent albacore area in the PNW - and are within range of WP.

(2) Westport also seems to be better late season. IIRC, there have been seasons when WP and Ilwaco were the only ports catching tuna in late Aug through early Oct.

(3) And regardless of port choice, later season always seems better for fly fishing anyway. Mike's comment about marking a lot of non-biting fish sounds familiar with fish keyed on squid or krill (deep vs feeding on baitfish at/near the surface).

But I don't fish tuna for a living so take the above with several grains of salt. Hopefully Nick will chime in with a professional opinion.

Bagman

Weird/tough year so far. Weather so far has been shit. Few boats getting out has limited fresh intel on tuna whereabouts and effective tactics. Following the few reports there are, it sounds like most of the albacore are between Newport and Garibaldi.

Per Mike C. of Shake N Bake

Unfortunately not much happening out of Westport now where most of our (and all 3 of my) fly trips are booked. However, there are reasons for hope:

(1) the offshore waters of the Columbia River are, by far, the most consistent albacore area in the PNW - and are within range of WP.

(2) Westport also seems to be better late season. IIRC, there have been seasons when WP and Ilwaco were the only ports catching tuna in late Aug through early Oct.

(3) And regardless of port choice, later season always seems better for fly fishing anyway. Mike's comment about marking a lot of non-biting fish sounds familiar with fish keyed on squid or krill (deep vs feeding on baitfish at/near the surface).

But I don't fish tuna for a living so take the above with several grains of salt. Hopefully Nick will chime in with a professional opinion.
Well if it’s krill they want we can do that with a big ass krill fly with some weight, and heavy grain sinking line and jig the little buggers into biting

SilverFly

Well if it’s krill they want we can do that with a big ass krill fly with some weight, and heavy grain sinking line and jig the little buggers into biting
I always have krill patterns in my boxes. Haven't had the stones to gamble charter time trying them for tuna just yet. That will change if they're being picky and puking krill. I've been kicking the idea of a krill "mini swarm". Basically a half-dozen or so decoy strips of reddish yarn leading the actual krill fly. With the decoys hanging off tags of heavy mono. Something along the lines of blood-knot tags or the like. Would probably have to wrap the whole thing up like a sabiki rig though.

Last edited:

Jake

Co-ho, Silver! Away!
Just watched a French film on Fishing TV (Apple TV App) about fly fishing for bluefin. Holy crap I can hardly wait!

SilverFly

Finger and toes crossed this is a sign things are shaping up.

A "Good not great" report from Shake N Bake (Ilwaco) yesterday (8/5):
Dogs,

My guys are running in with around 20 fish.

They were 46.00/125.30, which is not as far as it sounds.

The good news is that they saw HUGE bait balls out there.

Also a decent report from the 125.00 a little farther south.

Mike C

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts