PNW Offshore 2021

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
IIRC from the pics, it was a bit sporty that day as well. Not sure how you guys did it. I could barely haul my carcass out of bed.

My grief is/was with the conditions, all that rockin in n rollin gets to you. But if you you do it every day it would get to be the normal!
I didn't find the Albies to be but kickers, but fun as hell! Just the right size, I wouldn't want to tangle with any tuna over 50lbs that's for sure!

wanderingrichard

I was responding to SilverFly saying he should probably work out more. And, yeah, from my experience, being in some semblence of fitness is a definte plus , far better than the "I'm in shape, after all, round is a shape" pretense some of us have heard or even uttered ourselves . I doubt if I had been in better condition that I would have gone through what i did

Bagman

Guessing he's out there right now. I don't know how he does it day after day. Guess I'll find out. We were rescheduled to Mon 9/6. That'll be my first time doing tuna 3-days in a row. I could be in serious trouble with the fish running 30+. I should start working out right now!
If I remember correctly Nick worked for a few years on boats out of Dutch Harbour. Hard work and long hours is what he cut his teeth on. It also helps that he is doing something he loves and is having a lot of fun doing it.

SilverFly

My grief is/was with the conditions, all that rockin in n rollin gets to you. But if you you do it every day it would get to be the normal!
I didn't find the Albies to be but kickers, but fun as hell! Just the right size, I wouldn't want to tangle with any tuna over 50lbs that's for sure!
Knock on wood but I have yet to get queasy out there. We got into some butt kickers on the last trip last year. High 20's and at least one over 30. Yeah, I'd probably regret hooking a 50+ bluefin after a half hour or so of torture.

I was responding to SilverFly saying he should probably work out more. And, yeah, from my experience, being in some semblence of fitness is a definte plus , far better than the "I'm in shape, after all, round is a shape" pretense some of us have heard or even uttered ourselves . I doubt if I had been in better condition that I would have gone through what i did

I'll be taking workout clothes the salt mine the next couple weeks. Hopefully stuff will stop breaking long enough for me to actually use the gym (just jinxed myself).

Nick Clayton

WFF Premium
This job is a grind for sure. I couldn't possibly explain to anyone just how worn out I already am. But Al nailed it. I love my job. Plain and simple, I absolutely love doing this. That alone makes the grind possible, and tolerable. I've had physical jobs my whole life, and endless work days without a break is nothing new. The difference is that I don't wake up now just dreading work. I left a great job at the shipyard to work towards this job I have now. I made way more money then, benefits, tons of paid leave, long term security etc etc etc. But the stress and misery of that job affected my mental health to the point that if I had not done something about it, I would not be here today. Most do not know how close to the edge I came during that time of my life.

Now days I go to bed tired, sore, and missing my family. I wake up even more tired, more sore, and missing them even more. But I get to go fishing every day. I get to be on the ocean. I get paid to see and do stuff 7 days a week that many people never get to see and experience in a lifetime. I meet and work with amazing people. I've become a member of an amazing, tight knit community of incredible people. Every day I think about where I was 10 years ago. Where I would be now if I didn't make the changes I did. I think about how close I came to making the biggest mistake a human being could make. I think about all that, and then I think "Today I get to go fishing" and I forget all about how tired I am.

My life isn't for everyone, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Looking back on it, I COULDN'T have it any other way, because if I didn't make a change I doubt I would be here at all.

I love my job. I cannot possibly express how lucky I feel to be where I am.

Ok, enough of that lol

We did do very well yesterday. And most of the fish were enormous. I didn't take many pics because it rained off and on all day, and was a sloppy ocean to boot, so pulling out a camera wasn't a great idea most of the time. Today we went back, and it wasn't as good. Still caught fish, but not as good. We'll see what tomorrow brings. This is the time of year where things change daily.

_DSC5021-01.jpeg DSC01263.JPG

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Still waiting for my opportunity for small boat action. Conditions have just been ass so far. Forecasts tease small boat-friendly conditions, then pull the rug the day before. Been fine for guys with the 30'+ boats, but us 22' range boats are still sidelined.

Made it out for bottom fish and salmon on Saturday. I probably could have run all the way out, but at 15mph on a choppy ocean, I'd have had all of 2-3hrs to tuna fish if that.

Managed to get my first ever jack mackerel while fishing salmon, though. A fish most guys poo-poo and turn in to crab bait or toss back. I, being me, grilled it up. Hot damn if it wasn't one of the tastier fish I've harvested off our shores yet. I'd eat it over salmon any day.

1628520776425.png

tallguy

Nick, any specific color/s that they liked on the troll this week? I do have to spend some time tying, we are close to go time. I know that switches around too, but I would trend more in a certain direction if one certain color was getting it done more than others.

Nick Clayton

WFF Premium
Nick, any specific color/s that they liked on the troll this week? I do have to spend some time tying, we are close to go time. I know that switches around too, but I would trend more in a certain direction if one certain color was getting it done more than others.

No trend. I'm trolling the same mix of 5 troll lures that I always run. Everything gets bit.

I know fly anglers and tyers don't like to hear this, and Silverfly and Cabezon don't like to believe it ;), but color just doesn't matter trolling. Nobody will ever convince me it does. Size, movement, profile matter to some degree, but color not one bit.

I literally troll the same mix of 5 troll lures ever single day. I never, ever change it up. I've seen one "lure" get more bites than others on any particular day, but I 100% believe that is positioning and nothing more.

Go ahead and flame away fly tyers lol.

I should edit and clarify that I was just ribbing Steve and Guy here, and state that I totally understand the question and how we as fly anglers often love to focus on small details like that. Especially those of us that tie flies! I have just become too convinced in my time albacore fishing that it flat out doesn't matter, even if the fly tyer in me wants to believe it does

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts