Portable backyard stillwater (pond soon)

Bob Newman

Interesting, I had the same visitors suddenly appear in a horse trough today after not being around for about three years.

These guys can fly between water bodies. Closest stillwater source for me is about 5 miles.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Evidently if a Stillwater bug has wings it can fly if absolutely necessary.

I found out just last week that Water Skeeters (Water Striders) have wings and will use them to fly if their water source begins to dry up. I had no idea they could fly.

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
Premium
How did they get in the pond? Is it connected to another pond or steam?
So it was two little kids pools set up in the field... I plan to build a pond in the future, this just excited me, more natural fish food

Attachments

• received_330124235245525.jpeg
    received_330124235245525.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 19

Buzzy

So it was two little kids pools set up in the field... I plan to build a pond in the future, this just excited me, more natural fish food
Thread drift: How's your shoulder coming along?

I remember quite clearly the first time I figured out the Boatman Hatch - I'd hiked south from Coulee City to a little lake (47 35 56.26N 119 18 30.02W)* and climbed down a rebar ladder anchored into columnar basalt, then slid down a scree slope. Kicking around I heard and saw a couple of rapid small splashes next to my float tube. I managed to spot a boatman hit the water and immediately take off for the deep. I had never fished a boatman before but I had two in my box. Both of which were lost to hard strikes. That is a fly I never leave home without. Nice pics Shawn.

* Hotspot - Nope. cut and past the coordinates into Google Earth and set your time line to the early 80's, click each successive satellite photo timeline and you'll see this lake disappear. Eutrification in pictures, no more Castle Lake.

bakerite

I remember quite clearly the first time I figured out the Boatman Hatch - I'd hiked south from Coulee City to a little lake (47 35 56.26N 119 18 30.02W)* and climbed down a rebar ladder anchored into columnar basalt, then slid down a scree slope. Kicking around I heard and saw a couple of rapid small splashes next to my float tube. I managed to spot a boatman hit the water and immediately take off for the deep. I had never fished a boatman before but I had two in my box. Both of which were lost to hard strikes. That is a fly I never leave home without. Nice pics Shawn.

* Hotspot - Nope. cut and past the coordinates into Google Earth and set your time line to the early 80's, click each successive satellite photo timeline and you'll see this lake disappear. Eutrification in pictures, no more Castle Lake.
One of my favorites way back in the day. Great dry fly fishing in the spring!

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
Premium

Thread drift... Thanks for asking, just got done with today's PT. It is coming along gritted teeth some days, but days when I think "you could probably cast from the elbow, add long as the fish doesn't fight to much"... But the wife says "Hell NO, You will wait"

I love when the water boatman hits my boat or lands in it with a "wack!" Then it is time to change tactics... Had a stellar afternoon once at Dry Falls when that happened!!!

Buzzy

Thread drift... Thanks for asking, just got done with today's PT. It is coming along gritted teeth some days, but days when I think "you could probably cast from the elbow, add long as the fish doesn't fight to much"... But the wife says "Hell NO, You will wait"

I love when the water boatman hits my boat or lands in it with a "wack!" Then it is time to change tactics... Had a stellar afternoon once at Dry Falls when that happened!!!
Hang in there and heal up!

My best ever stillwater trout ate a boatman. I landed the fish but didn't notice that the hook had partially straightened, consequently lost two other hard grabs before "check your hook" kicked in....

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts