Somebody Had a Bad Weekend

Old Man

A very Old Man
I have never felt comfortable sitting is a drift boat going down river I floated down the Yakima in a Water Master and was still unhappy with it. I could float all day in a pontoon boat and be happy. I guess what ever your happy with, just do it.

PhilR

WFF Supporter
Dang, that sucks.

This is why I get weird about people rowing my boat. I've been in too many sketchy situations and unless I know you are dialed, I have just learned to say no thanks. Shit freaks me out.

This was shared today. Guess they recovered the body of the mom. So sad.

View attachment 286875
Hard agree. Was on the ronde last week, grousing about not being able to fish while rowing my db. One of the other guys said he could row me. Within half an hour he had put my buddy’s 15 foot cat on the only rock in that stretch of river, and that was the end of that discussion.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Hard agree. Was on the ronde last week, grousing about not being able to fish while rowing my db. One of the other guys said he could row me. Within half an hour he had put my buddy’s 15 foot cat on the only rock in that stretch of river, and that was the end of that discussion.
Had a similar experience on the hoh. Never again. Not worth it.

Plus, you know if you let your friends borrow your boat, this is what they are going to do with it :D

PhilR

WFF Supporter

Plus, you know if you let your friends borrow your boat, this is what they are going to do with it :D
Oh, yeah, hell no. He wants to do that, he sits up on the front like a human fender, or an aztec sacrifice.

Back to my story, it wasn't even a rapid. It was a rock at the bottom of a riffle. totally missable.

HauntedByWaters

Any boat not on anchor pretty much needs someone watching the water constantly to be safe either on river, lake or sea. And any boat can be overloaded to the point of being sluggish and dangerous. Plus good vision is a must.

I have a load of experience with boats throughout my life, even commercial crabbing for a time, and I gotta say its always an adventure for me and rarely relaxing. The more time you are out the more shit you see that makes you go hmmmm and realize at any time a rather simple chain of events can lead to scary situations.

I lazily floated around a bend one time and into a fast shoot just as a new sweeper came into view. I pretty much stopped my boat digging into rocks and broke an oar blade in the process. I somehow pulled my pontoon and myself off and around it. That was a spot my buddy had floated day before and no sweeper there. I was high and up all night from the adrenaline. That was the last time I let my guard down.

Stay safe!

duggiefresh

My wife and I saw a family floating the upper Cedar last weekend, in the sort of float tubes that you use in a pool. The Cedar is currently low enough that a lot of rocks are exposed, but high enough that the water is still moving very fast in some sections. I'm certain those float tubes didn't survive long.

I'll stick to wading in shallow water. I have a hard enough time wading in knee deep water, with felt boots and a wading staff, without slipping and nearly cracking my kneecaps.
I'm with ya, that river has to be one of the slipperiest rivers to wade in

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
Things can go south even when you are equipped with the finest flotation as evidenced by this rescue two weeks ago on Oregon's lower Santiam River. The stranded couple had to walk past signs warning that the river is blocked in order to launch. It is my understanding these two were rescues 8 and 9 from this location this year.

733939B7-CCFE-4F79-B7FC-AA2C431E4850.png

Swimmy

That's my friend Brooks. He built my fence.

I haven't seen him in a while but I used to give him shit. Before I sold my raft, I'd run this rapid all the time. While taking a hard boat down that was bold, the rowing was bad and the line was even worse.

I need to man up and take the Striker down it. #sendit

DSCN1831_zpswgysebnk.jpg

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
That's my friend Brooks. He built my fence.

I haven't seen him in a while but I used to give him shit. Before I sold my raft, I'd run this rapid all the time. While taking a hard boat down that was bold, the rowing was bad and the line was even worse.

I need to man up and take the Striker down it. #sendit

DSCN1831_zpswgysebnk.jpg

Hopefully he builds fences better than he rows. :D

200 (1).gif

Greg Price

Love da little fishies

Looks like guy on oars not much help. Guy in bow did all the work. Unique way to do it but sketchy

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts