Humpy Flies

Merle

Don’t have a pic handy, but I always used a light pink over white craft fur Clouser with a little (very little) UV krystal flash. The relatively shorter length of the craft fur keeps you from tying the fly too big.

andy

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
If you like easy to tie patterns that just catch fish, this is the best I've ever come across. Former forum member and incredibly awesome individual Trapper turned me on to this.

This stupid thing put an absurd amount of pinks to my boat in 2019, as well as a surprising amount of coho and chinook. Doesnt get much more simple than this one.

Trapper with just a couple of the many, many fish he caught with this fly the first day he introduced me to it.

20190806_121627-01-01.jpeg 20190805_104640-01.jpeg

Last edited:

ffb

If you like easy to tie patterns that just catch fish, this is the best I've ever found.

This stupid thing put an absurd amount of pinks to my boat in 2019, as well as a surprising amount of coho and chinook. Doesnt get much more simple than this one.

I was just checking this out last night. Definitely adding some of these to my box!

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
If you like easy to tie patterns that just catch fish, this is the best I've ever come across. Former forum member and incredibly awesome individual Trapper turned me on to this.

Trapper with just a couple of the many, many fish he caught with this fly the first day he introduced me to it.

View attachment 287148 View attachment 287149

Well shit, now you made me go and order some more fly tying stuff....plus some additional stuff for muskies.

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
Also check out Friday Night Fly’s on YouTube. Those crazy Pemberton guys have some pretty interesting bugs they come up with.
no reports yet of early fish. Expect to hear something in a week or so ?

Tom Bowden

I've been using Nick and Trapper's fly for Pinks since August 2009, when a group of us from NW Kayak Fishers went out in the South Sound. A fellow named Rudy had tied some for one of my fellow kayakers, and he also posted the pattern on their forum. I carry other patterns for Pinks, but always tie on this one, because I have confidence in it.

I tie it with an old-school product called "FisHair" in florescent light pink, though any bright pink material would work for the wing. I've forgotten to tie in the flash a few times, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Tom

DrHare

The Coho King
Hot pink thread rapped around lead with a full beard of flash...lead eyes on size 6. It's all about depth as tide comes and refuse sink tip of any sort to take away from fight. It also jigs well on strip and small enough to cast well

DrHare

The Coho King
I think the story is just use pink with flash and weighted with lead eyes. It is more about techniques? Always cast to the lead in school going in same direction as fly...and strip as fast has you want. Best thing about Pinks is they draw in the Kings earlier.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'

View attachment 287148 View attachment 287149
You've got me excited now Nick.
If a blind monkey can tie one I might be able to also. :D

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts