Humpy Flies

mcswny

Your timing might be good. The escapement report went from 3 to 1,400 fish in a week.
SF

View attachment 289466
excellent!
Thanks for the heads up.

Been reading up all on tides, and how to read them from a fishing perspective (more in relation to SRCs). It's pretty interesting stuff compared to my usual walk and wade stream fishing.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
excellent!
Thanks for the heads up.

Been reading up all on tides, and how to read them from a fishing perspective (more in relation to SRCs). It's pretty interesting stuff compared to my usual walk and wade stream fishing.

You’ve got some good early morning highs into the outgoing during the early part of next week (Mon-Wed.
Have fun and good luck.
SF

Matt B

WFF Supporter
all the things that don't catch pinks (flash, hackle...) removed.
Provocative statement perhaps? I’m no expert but I have fished our WA runs a decent bit and have gravitated toward just a little bit of flash. But no hackle? I’ve caught an awful lot of pinks on small, sparse flashabou and marabou comets with a couple turns of hackle behind the eyes. So yeah, I’d like to hear more about this if you don’t mind.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I fished for pink salmon in the Skagit in 1995. I tied about an inch of pink yarn, the kind that one would use to tie glow balls, on a size 6 hook. They work. Maybe another pattern would work better. But, who cares?

g_smolt

Recreational User
Provocative statement perhaps? I’m no expert but I have fished our WA runs a decent bit and have gravitated toward just a little bit of flash. But no hackle? I’ve caught an awful lot of pinks on small, sparse flashabou and marabou comets with a couple turns of hackle behind the eyes. So yeah, I’d like to hear more about this if you don’t mind.
You can catch pinks on a fly made entirely of flash in the salt, and even in the fresh for awhile. You can spend 23.2 seconds tying a single fly that catches 99.9% of the fish that would have eaten a fly, or you can spend 5-10 minutes tying a single fly that catches 99.9% of the fish that would have eaten a fly.

The single best fly EVER for pink salmon is the humpy hooker. I used to tie mine with the requisite 6-8 ends of flash. Over a period of several years and tens of thousands of pinks, I noticed fish showing some hesitance or reluctance towards the fly under certain conditions (includes relative date of run, tides, light, fishing pressure, water flavor...), but oddly enough, on *most days*, I could bring the fly back into the good graces of the fish by ripping the flash out.

Sample size approx 40-50K pinks over the last 11 years for my guests.

YMMV.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
I fished for pink salmon in the Skagit in 1995. I tied about an inch of pink yarn, the kind that one would use to tie glow balls, on a size 6 hook. They work. Maybe another pattern would work better. But, who cares?

Those of us who want to catch more pink salmon care. Yeah, I said it. I own it. And what?

You can catch pinks on a fly made entirely of flash in the salt, and even in the fresh for awhile. You can spend 23.2 seconds tying a single fly that catches 99.9% of the fish that would have eaten a fly, or you can spend 5-10 minutes tying a single fly that catches 99.9% of the fish that would have eaten a fly.

The single best fly EVER for pink salmon is the humpy hooker. I used to tie mine with the requisite 6-8 ends of flash. Over a period of several years and tens of thousands of pinks, I noticed fish showing some hesitance or reluctance towards the fly under certain conditions (includes relative date of run, tides, light, fishing pressure, water flavor...), but oddly enough, on *most days*, I could bring the fly back into the good graces of the fish by ripping the flash out.

Sample size approx 40-50K pinks over the last 11 years for my guests.

YMMV.

Well shit, I'm convinced. I have some hot pink fishhair and don't have to put flash in. I'll even taper the paint brush a bit, why not?

adamcu280

All I've got in my travel kit is pink bucktail and red Super Hair so I made a couple of each and a couple half-and-halfs.

Attachments

• PXL_20210723_201652046.jpg
    PXL_20210723_201652046.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 48

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts