Humpy Flies

tallguy

I just use a sparse single Marabou feather tie. It works, though not as well as some other humpy flies I tie and alternative methods I use to catch them. The spinning rod might have something to with it though?

Did I take down a humpy today with the pink buzz bomb for my 8 year old son to reel in? Damn right I did. He walked around calling himself the "salmon master" for the next two hours, even though the gillie did all the work.

Attachments

• PXL_20210727_010749539.jpg
    PXL_20210727_010749539.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 71

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I fished for pink salmon in the Skagit in 1995. I tied about an inch of pink yarn, the kind that one would use to tie glow balls, on a size 6 hook. They work. Maybe another pattern would work better. But, who cares?
Jungle Cock ?
Full dress Pacific Humpy Fly...
I used an estuary shrimp pattern for years, it was easy enough to tie, and so never changed.
The leftovers caught Cutts, so that was cool.
1990's I think

JonnyPeters

Also check out Friday Night Fly’s on YouTube. Those crazy Pemberton guys have some pretty interesting bugs they come up with.
no reports yet of early fish. Expect to hear something in a week or so ?
Just started watching those guys. Cheesy canucks but really dig the flies

g_smolt

Recreational User
I just use a sparse single Marabou feather tie. It works, though not as well as some other humpy flies I tie and alternative methods I use to catch them. The spinning rod might have something to with it though?

Did I take down a humpy today with the pink buzz bomb for my 8 year old son to reel in? Damn right I did. He walked around calling himself the "salmon master" for the next two hours, even though the gillie did all the work.
If you havent tried red/white crappie tubes or pink micro-hoochies on yer spinpole, you and yer 8 are missin out. So. Many. Eats.

vader

I fished for pink salmon in the Skagit in 1995. I tied about an inch of pink yarn, the kind that one would use to tie glow balls, on a size 6 hook. They work. Maybe another pattern would work better. But, who cares?
Oh the days fishing the Skagit. Lots of great memories.

speedbird49

If you havent tried red/white crappie tubes or pink micro-hoochies on yer spinpole, you and yer 8 are missin out. So. Many. Eats.
If c&r spinning for Sea Runs is not heresy, back in October I got more bites on a size 3 Blue Fox rigged with a pink mico hoochie than any other lure. Some days I had a fish every ten minutes at a beach known for not being the greatest place for Cutty. Obviously be sure to downsize hooks

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
going to tie up a couple sun ray shadow with pink wing & give them a go. Not that I need one more pink colored fly of any size.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts