Trip Report Trip Report – Shady River

BZN11004.JPG
Headed out early this morning to a section of river I call “Shady River”. It is a new river, only 3 years old. This is the third season I’ve fished it. It was born out of the extremely high water runoff on the Giant Orifice river in 2018. Flows peaked in mid-June that year in excess of 10,000 CFS (3X long-term median). The high flows and a confluence of several seasons of large cottonwoods nestled in the center of the main channels caused a lot of havoc. As the river made a gradual left turn into a narrow channel, the high flows had dislodged the big cottonwoods and jammed them at the top of the old channel. This caused the main current to explode over the outside bend an into a thick stand of cottonwoods undergrown with high grass and shrub. A new river was born and as far I can tell, no water had ever flowed through this cottonwood grove. The flow cut a deep, narrow channel that made a sharp left then right turn through the cottonwood grove to emerge about ¼ mile downstream into a slough that flowed back to the main stem of the river. The new river now takes at least 2/3rd of the flow in this section. Unpassable by boat as the outflow is blocked by several downed trees lying across the channel. A new one fell this year as well.
BZN11003.JPG BZN11002.JPG BZN11000.JPG BZN10999.JPG BZN00996.JPG
Although flows in this section of river remain robust because of massive pools and deep holes that act as big instream reservoirs, water temperatures are problematic because of the recent heat wave. The nearest upstream gauge peaked at 75° yesterday and was headed that way today. Overnight the same gauge only got down to 66°. Fishing today was a bit slower than usual but still plenty of fish came to hand. Shady and shadowy spots on the river held the most fish, especially those with good, deep current.

Shady River is a bit challenging to fish because of the tight, steep banks, swift current and proximity of trees and brush streamside. Roll casting was about the only way to get a streamer through productive water. Yet, big fish still came to hand. This buck regurgitated a 6” partially digested sucker. I need a bigger streamer.
BZN11007.JPG
BZN11010.JPG
BZN11013.JPG

Attachments

• BZN10998.JPG
    BZN10998.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
View attachment 287099
Headed out early this morning to a section of river I call “Shady River”. It is a new river, only 3 years old. This is the third season I’ve fished it. It was born out of the extremely high water runoff on the Giant Orifice river in 2018. Flows peaked in mid-June that year in excess of 10,000 CFS (3X long-term median). The high flows and a confluence of several seasons of large cottonwoods nestled in the center of the main channels caused a lot of havoc. As the river made a gradual left turn into a narrow channel, the high flows had dislodged the big cottonwoods and jammed them at the top of the old channel. This caused the main current to explode over the outside bend an into a thick stand of cottonwoods undergrown with high grass and shrub. A new river was born and as far I can tell, no water had ever flowed through this cottonwood grove. The flow cut a deep, narrow channel that made a sharp left then right turn through the cottonwood grove to emerge about ¼ mile downstream into a slough that flowed back to the main stem of the river. The new river now takes at least 2/3rd of the flow in this section. Unpassable by boat as the outflow is blocked by several downed trees lying across the channel. A new one fell this year as well.
View attachment 287100 View attachment 287101 View attachment 287102 View attachment 287103 View attachment 287105
Although flows in this section of river remain robust because of massive pools and deep holes that act as big instream reservoirs, water temperatures are problematic because of the recent heat wave. The nearest upstream gauge peaked at 75° yesterday and was headed that way today. Overnight the same gauge only got down to 66°. Fishing today was a bit slower than usual but still plenty of fish came to hand. Shady and shadowy spots on the river held the most fish, especially those with good, deep current.

Shady River is a bit challenging to fish because of the tight, steep banks, swift current and proximity of trees and brush streamside. Roll casting was about the only way to get a streamer through productive water. Yet, big fish still came to hand. This buck regurgitated a 6” partially digested sucker. I need a bigger streamer.
View attachment 287098
View attachment 287097
View attachment 287096
Nice report and a nice Brown. You make me feel sad because I can't fish like this anymore. Getting around just sucks for me.

Mike.Cline

Bozeman, Montana
Nice report and a nice Brown. You make me feel sad because I can't fish like this anymore. Getting around just sucks for me.
Trust me, I know its coming. I am 73 half way to 74. Every year things get a little bit more wobbly, the steam runs out sooner, and the abort the day at wakeup more numerous.

Bowbonehead

Its always neat to see what floods bring good and bad ..... after a once in a century type flood on my local river in 2013 there were many new channels/new rivers to explore although it did take a couple of years for the fish and bugs to establish themselves in the new riparian zones.... Great report as always

Old Man

A very Old Man
Trust me, I know its coming. I am 73 half way to 74. Every year things get a little bit more wobbly, the steam runs out sooner, and the abort the day at wakeup more numerous.
I always thought that you were younger than that. Lesson learned.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts