Heat aftermath destroys town!

Squamishpoacher

Tell the people in Lytton how their homes could have survived. Or all those in California. Lytton had 10 minutes warning and some didn't make it. The wind was blowing at 40 miles an hour. You can't run away from a fire moving that fast let alone make a stand and save your property. Steps can be taken to limit the potential of fire but they're basically worthless if your neighbours and your local government isn't all doing the same. Most fires in BC now burning have been caused by lightening which can't be controlled. Most start in undeveloped areas so you just can't drive up there with a crew and spray water on it like it was a house fire.

Riffling Hitch

Tell the people in Lytton how their homes could have survived. Or all those in California. Lytton had 10 minutes warning and some didn't make it. The wind was blowing at 40 miles an hour. You can't run away from a fire moving that fast let alone make a stand and save your property. Steps can be taken to limit the potential of fire but they're basically worthless if your neighbours and your local government isn't all doing the same. Most fires in BC now burning have been caused by lightening which can't be controlled. Most start in undeveloped areas so you just can't drive up there with a crew and spray water on it like it was a house fire.
I am down in CA and work in the areas that these fires are occurring. many friends and co workers and their families lost everything and some even their lives. The link I posted is what is trying to be taught to people who live in these areas and have to live with the threat of wildfire.
I would definately suggest not depending upon your government, local or other, to save you or your property.

Chromer J

Even CA politicians are beginning to realize they can ignore science to promote agendas born from political science for only so long. I applaud the recent steps they are taking.

"While Native Americans used prescribed burns to clear cluttered forests and promote plant growth for centuries, over the past 100 years the United States has focused on fire suppression. That allowed for the buildup of vegetation that dries up into kindling in the summer, fueling increasingly destructive and deadly wildfires."

Buzzy

I've driven down the highway from Spences Bridge to Lytton a few times, how frightening to have a wind driven fire roar down the canyon or burst over the mountains. So sad.

surfnfish

Scientists have been raising the alarm about the link between increased CO2 generation and global warming for over a hundred years, to little avail, as short term profits over future stability has been the core driver of politics and economy since the industrial age began|

Squamishpoacher

I do agree that property owners can take steps to protect their homes. I believe it's easier to do so in a more rural area especially if you can limit the amount of fuel nearby. However in the case of Lytton, this was a small village with small lots and buildings fairly close to each other. Here there was little hope of saving anyone's homes especially with the wind and three days of record breaking heat which further dried out an already very dry area.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Even CA politicians are beginning to realize they can ignore science to promote agendas born from political science for only so long. I applaud the recent steps they are taking.

"While Native Americans used prescribed burns to clear cluttered forests and promote plant growth for centuries, over the past 100 years the United States has focused on fire suppression. That allowed for the buildup of vegetation that dries up into kindling in the summer, fueling increasingly destructive and deadly wildfires."
Over the past 100 years the US has focused on logging and fire suppression. The forests of today are not the forests of yesteryear, largely due to extraction. I agree that “mechanical“ treatments, namely thinning with an eye toward developing a long-term resilient forest structure which includes older trees, along with prescribed burns, seem to be the best path forward, and hopefully we get started on a major scale none too soon.

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
Over the past 100 years the US has focused on logging and fire suppression. The forests of today are not the forests of yesteryear, largely due to extraction. I agree that “mechanical“ treatments, namely thinning with an eye toward developing a long-term resilient forest structure which includes older trees, along with prescribed burns, seem to be the best path forward, and hopefully we get started on a major scale none too soon.
There's still plenty of crappy, fish-killing, below-cost timber sales on public land, often gussied up and green washed as forest health measures. The Forest Service has a long way to go before I believe that long-term resilient forest structure is the goal of a given "restoration" timber project.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I've driven through Lytton many times and eaten in the cafe there while fishing the Thompson River. There was a small hotel there also that I intended to check out but never did.

Most of the people in Lytton are members of a small Indian tribe. Indians tend to be very place oriented and often don't do well with moving. So I feel especially bad for these people and hope they are able to rebuild their town. The railroad has a significant presence in Lytton; maybe that will help.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts