Gear Geekiness

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Over the years I have been amused by how guys with various interest use the amount of gear they have as their signature. For instance, the gearheads list all of the modifications to their trucks or cars as if it somehow defines them and gives them status in the pecking order. Lance owners go to great lengths to enumerate all of the solar and electrical upgrades they have made on their trailers and seem to try to one-up each other on the amount of money they spend. Fly fishermen aren't immune to this disease either nor gun owners, amateur astronomers and a host of other recreation based endeavors. I have always viewed it as kind of silly and probably a case of TMI but now I realize I are one of them!

Living alone on the tundra, cooking is often the only recreation I get and if it isn't fun-especially in winter-it can be a real drag. So to keep it interesting I am always on the lookout for things that break the monotony of everyday cooking. Today I ordered my second Blackstone griddle within the last few months and realized I have become a cooking gear whore. On the back deck I have a Weber Performer charcoal grill and a Weber Genesis gas grill, a small Smokey Joe charcoal grill and a Weber Go Anywhere gas grill so my grilling needs are covered.

In the kitchen I have an infra-red toaster oven, a big convection toaster oven, an inverter microwave, an induction plate, an Instapot, a sous vide immersion cooker, an Iwatani butane stove, an Airfryer, a KitchenAid pro model stand mixer, KitchenAid food processor, Zojirushi rice maker, Nutra Bullet and juice maker. The stove is a standard glass top with a convection oven. The stovetop is seldom used with induction or the Iwatani doing about 95% of the cooking but the oven is very good since I bake bread every few days.

Now with a second Blackstone arriving soon I can put the gas model back in the Casa to use for camping and use the new electric for the standard fare of smashburgers, stir fry, bacon, eggs and hashbrowns, etc. Getting the propane out of the house will be a plus. Devices like the immersion cooker, Instapot and Airfryer are great for hands off cooking-just put the food in and wait for the results but the griddle is so much more fun since you have to be actively engaged to do it right.

My parents always told me as a child: "Don't play with your food-eat it!" They were wrong-have fun.

Freestone

WFF Supporter
Ive, those of us who are lucky enough to occasionally sample the culinary delights produced on your various kitchen appliances are very happy that you are a cooking gear whore! You have whipped up some mighty fine meals and stupendous bread!

Gary Knowels

Ive, I hope to reach your status someday! I'm limited by space, but more importantly by a wife with much more sense than I do. We'll see how far she'll let me go when we do a big kitchen remodel some years down the road.

Sagebrush

Its a good thing we don't list our gear and mods in our signatures like they do in some forums, I'm afraid your kitchen signature could take half this page.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
I appreciate your reviews of all this stuff. You could probably get paid to do it. You do it well. It allows me to pick and choose which gadgets I might actually “need” since in reality I’m not going to be rocking 4 grills.

I am butane stove curious.

Sagebrush

Same here, I find your product reviews and how to's intormative and helpful. I dont plan on getting one of these but I enjoyed the review none the less.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
To Matt B: Matt, here is what little I know about butane stoves. They have been around for about 90 years and are heavily used in Asia-often right on a dining table. They are apparently more safe than propane and much easier to use due to the snap in nature of the canister. And they are lightweight and compact but put out enormous heat for their size with some producing up to 15,000btu's.

Price range runs from the $30 Coleman at about 6,000btu up to around $80-$90 for the ultra powerful models. Even the cheapest ones seem to perform well but I bought the Iwatani stove made in Japan and generally regarded as the highest quality. Mine is 12,000btu but is rarely ever used at that power. Canisters last a long time and are best bought by the case of 12 on line for around $25.

The weakness of butane is that it doesn't perform well in freezing weather but to that end Iwatani has devised a metal heat transfer shield that helps to keep the canister warm in cold weather. I don't camp in freezing weather anyway so it isn't a big deal to me. It is a simple matter to simply remove the canister and keep it in a warm place until needed.

I watch many cooking shows on TV and YouTube and quite often they are cooking with an Iwatani or comparable stove as the only heat source. The reasons seem obvious-instant ignition, high heat, precise flame control and portability. It is much easier to film with the stove on a table, the chef behind the table and the camera in front to get all the action-not easy with a conventional stove top.

I still have my original white gas Coleman stove bought back in the 60's and the Optimus 111B that we used on Mt McKinley in 1967. And then after some low output propane stoves that I eventually gave away I bought the enormously powerful Stansport 50,000btu dual burner stove to speed up the process. I may have use for it someday but the reality is that the butane stove has more than met all my needs for the past few years. It is the perfect size for Ive's Cruzin' Casa with no set-up time and one handed operation.

That's all I got

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts