Seattle in October

mjkirshner

I'm going to be in Seattle for three or four days in early October and would like to get in some fly fishing. I will have a car, but would prefer not to drive more than an hour from town. I will be staying within walking distance of Lake Washington (west shore), if there is any fishing there. I was out there a few summers ago and drove out to the Snoqualmie River, so I could do that again, but if there are better options, I would love to get some suggestions. The guys in the Orvis store in Bellevue recommended Puget Sound last time, but I never got a chance to get there. Is that something I should consider?

Salmo_g

Premium
There should be several options, but your biggest obstacle appears to be your preference to drive not more than one hour from town. I get it; we'd all like to walk out the door and have quality fishing in the back yard. But that ain't reality most places. If you're going to be in Seattle, the first piece of fishing gear you need is a full tank of gas, IMO.

East Coaster

I would definitely recommend hitting the Sound for searun cutthroat trout. It's fairly unique to the area - something you can't do in very many places. And as posted above, it will keep you in the ballpark in terms of your location preference. I tried it on one of my first visits to the area, and look forward to it each time I get back (about once every one or two years). Do a search for posts about it (the saltwater forum has a wealth of info).

mjkirshner

An hour is a preference, not a hard and fast limit. The park where I fished the Snoqualmie was about an hour from my stepson's house in Seattle, so that's just the benchmark I've chosen. If there is somewhere nicer to fish that is a little farther, I'm certainly will to consider it. Are there any specific locations that I should look for on a map? I have a preference for rivers, as I am in Florida and have the chance to fish saltwater all the time (although not PNW, of course). Freshwater rivers are not so common in my area. This will be only my second time in Seattle, so I have almost zero knowledge of the area.

mjkirshner

I would definitely recommend hitting the Sound for searun cutthroat trout. It's fairly unique to the area - something you can't do in very many places. And as posted above, it will keep you in the ballpark in terms of your location preference. I tried it on one of my first visits to the area, and look forward to it each time I get back (about once every one or two years). Do a search for posts about it (the saltwater forum has a wealth of info).
Thank you. I will check that forum. Sea run cutthroat is what the Orvis guys recommended, but I had only one day to fish that time, so I had to decide east or west. This time, I will be in town for a couple days more, so I should have the chance to fish at least twice.

dustinchromers

October is prime coho month freshwater. I think it's still happening in the salt too but I defer salt knowledge to others on this forum. I am relatively and embarrassingly uneducated in this underutilized resource.

JesseC

An hour is a preference, not a hard and fast limit. The park where I fished the Snoqualmie was about an hour from my stepson's house in Seattle, so that's just the benchmark I've chosen. If there is somewhere nicer to fish that is a little farther, I'm certainly will to consider it. Are there any specific locations that I should look for on a map? I have a preference for rivers, as I am in Florida and have the chance to fish saltwater all the time (although not PNW, of course). Freshwater rivers are not so common in my area. This will be only my second time in Seattle, so I have almost zero knowledge of the area.

Here’s what you do. Pretend you want to bond with your stepson and book a trip to float the Yakima river canyon with Red’s. Male bonding might get you a day long ticket

it’s about a 1.5-2hr drive. The scenery is fantastic. The drive is gorgeous going through the pass. You can get an audiobook and feign serious interest, that way you won’t have to talk to your stepson for the drive.

I’m guessing he doesn’t know how to fly fish? So, you can stick him in the front of the drift boat and be entertained by the guide’s frustration at his unending flailing and tangles, all while you rope heavies in the back.

Give your stepson a couple IPAs towards the end of the trip so he gets super tired and passes out on the way home.

I think that’s about the best day trip you can orchestrate from Seattle - all while exerting your male dominance on your stepson, win win!

I’d skip the beach thing if you have a hankering for rivers. SRC are fun, the salmon will probably be around too - but let me be honest with you - the beaches around Seattle are subpar and not worth a full day ticket.

Last edited:

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Another option is lakes....lots of lakes within an hour drive. Cooler temps put the trout in winter feeding mode (usually) If you are set up for SRC’s, that 5/6 wt is perfect for lakes.
But.....most lakes around here require something to float in.....do you have waders? Does your stepson have a boat? Ask on this site for an open seat.....I too have several pontoons and fish year round!

JesseC

Oo oOctober is prime coho month freshwater. I think it's still happening in the salt too but I defer salt knowledge to others on this forum. I am relatively and embarrassingly uneducated in this underutilized resource.
Did you see the latest regs for the coast? No wild coho retention on the hoh this year. The sol duc is going to be packed tighter than “free beer for single moms” night at Chuck E. Cheese.

mjkirshner

Here’s what you do. Pretend you want to bond with your stepson and book a trip to float the Yakima river canyon with Red’s. Male bonding might get you a day long ticket

it’s about a 1.5-2hr drive. The scenery is fantastic. The drive is gorgeous going through the pass. You can get an audiobook and feign serious interest, that way you won’t have to talk to your stepson for the drive.

I’m guessing he doesn’t know how to fly fish? So, you can stick him in the front of the drift boat and be entertained by the guide’s frustration at his unending flailing and tangles, all while you rope heavies in the back.

Give your stepson a couple IPAs towards the end of the trip so he gets super tired and passes out on the way home.

I think that’s about the best day trip you can orchestrate from Seattle - all while exerting your male dominance on your stepson, win win!

I’d skip the beach thing if you have a hankering for rivers. SRC are fun, the salmon will probably be around too - but let me be honest with you - the beaches around Seattle are subpar and not worth a full day ticket.
LOL... a lot to unpack there, but I'm going to sidestep the amateur psychoanalysis of your interpretation of stepfather-stepson relationships.:) We have a good relationship, and he just bought a "fixer-upper" in Seattle, and I've had some experience in home renovation, so we will bond over home repairs. The fly fishing is my thing, and I don't try to impose that on anyone else. One addict in the family is enough! As for beaches, I get what you are saying. I can fish the beach here any time, get to Biscayne Bay within an hour, or drive south to the Upper Keys, north to the Indian River Lagoon, or west to the Gulf Coast within two hours. I have no real need to fish the salt unless there is some very good reason for it. Mountains and rivers are what we lack here, so that would be my preference. A float trip sounds fun, but isn't practical for a one person, so I will probably have to stick with a DIY day trip.

Last edited:

mjkirshner

Another option is lakes....lots of lakes within an hour drive. Cooler temps put the trout in winter feeding mode (usually) If you are set up for SRC’s, that 5/6 wt is perfect for lakes.
But.....most lakes around here require something to float in.....do you have waders? Does your stepson have a boat? Ask on this site for an open seat.....I too have several pontoons and fish year round!
I have waders; no boat. I have an inflatable kayak but I don't think I want to shlep that to Seattle...LOL.

dustinchromers

Did you see the latest regs for the coast? No wild coho retention on the hoh this year. The sol duc is going to be packed tighter than “free beer for single moms” night at Chuck E. Cheese.

I'm fine with zero wild coho retention coast wide. It might get the meat hunters to stay home.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts