Sage rod repair

Replicant

They will fix current rods but a fee applies to older rods for an upgrade or am I reading it wrong?
Of course. I'm just grateful that they will even consider repairing or creating a new section for a rod that's been out of production for over 10 years or more. I'm also comparing my experience to another 'regional' rod builder who states a lifetime warranty, but is infamously notorious on not honoring it.

Porter

“Any warranty issue (their fault) they will fix for free”.

But if they can’t fix it, and it’s a rod defect, not owners fault, do you pay for an upgrade? Or is an upgrade free? That seems unclear to me. Or maybe I’m trending down this am and had way to much Kale in my smoothie this morning.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
“Any warranty issue (their fault) they will fix for free”.

But if they can’t fix it, and it’s a rod defect, not owners fault, do you pay for an upgrade? Or is an upgrade free? That seems unclear to me. Or maybe I’m trending down this am and had way to much Kale in my smoothie this morning.
The warranty covers repair or replacement. Replace = build a new section to replace the broken section of your rod.

I haven't heard of them not being able to repair or replace a rod for one reason or another....

These are the rods they still build replacements for. I guess if your rod wasn't on this list and had a warranty issue they'd offer a similar comp for free.

I think this is unique to sage where they can essentially build you a new XP (for example) even though it's probably a ~20 year old rod.

Winston has a similar warranty process to what you're describing. Sent in an LTX, they couldn't fix so they sent me a Alpha+ as replacement for the LTX for free.

1625589328213.png
The list

MT_Flyfisher

I returned my XP to Sage in the spring for a broken tip section (my fault) and I got it back last week which was 12 weeks after they had received it. They charged me $175.00 for the repair about a month after they received my rod.

Originally, I purchased an XP that would have been under warranty, and it completely burned in a fire in MT 3 years ago. Sage was very nice and built me an entirely new XP to replace the burned rod and didn’t charge me anything. You can’t beat that for service, no way, no how!

In any case Sage says that this replacement XP is not covered under warranty. Fair enough, and that’s why they charged me $175.00 for this repair.

Okay, they say on their website that their repairs are taking 10-12 weeks, and that’s just what mine took, so I’m not complaining, but I don’t think they should charge for a repair weeks before it is completed and returned. I also wonder about how you guys got your repairs done in a few weeks while mine - a simple broken tip repair - took several months?

Also, looking at their repair cost schedule it looks like they charge $150.00 for a missing rod section, while the repair of a rod section in my case cost $175.00. Maybe I should have just told them I lost my tip section? I thought you had to return the broken section in order to get it repaired, under warranty or not?

In any case, I’m not complaining, just making observations. It seems that their repair costs in and out of warranty have become a rather complex and confusing situation to us guys who only buy them, fish them, and in my case break them.

Last edited:

PooterTooter

I've broken my Sage VXP twice. Both times, their service has been prompt and helpful. The first break was no charge, they agreed that it was a production issue. The second break was my fault--I paid for the repair, and they fixed another issue they found on a ferrule for no charge. Nothing but thumbs up from me. Love their rods, appreciate their service/warranty.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I’ve always had good service from them as well in the past, though I haven’t used them often or lately for that matter.
I do like some of the older Sage rod models, but likely won’t be buying anymore due to the repair costs.
Say someone is offering a RPL, XP or Z-Axis in the $400 range, that now becomes a $575.00 rod if you break it.
I bought a basically brand new Sage X for $100 less then that $575.00 mark. There is so much good used newer equipment out there then some of those classic models and for less or even money when you factor in repair costs.
SF

kmudgn

One can play the semantic game of "warranty vs repair" all day long, but the bottom line is that the consumer is the loser. Manufacturing defects as the base line for free repair is an insult. If that is the case, give me a 1 year warranty on defects and charge me 1/3-12 less for the rod. The only reason to spend the kind of money that Sage, or any of the other top end rod companies charge is to essentially buy a "lifetime" warranty on the rod. Their repair cost is kept high simply so that you will buy a new rod. Unless you believe all the marketing BS about the new rods not only making you the best caster in the world, but also making you more sexually desirable, there is no real reason spend the ridiculous amount of money on a high end rod. If you "have" to have that new rod, wait a year and buy one used at 2/3 of the cost.

Trust me, if you think that buying a 1000 rod will make you a better caster then I strongly suggest that you only spend $ 400 on a rod and use the money you saved for casting lessons.

moon1284

I paid the 175 to get an rpl fixed and I'd do it again. Same for my xps and sps.

I think an xp or original loomis glx is as good as any sage or loomis around today.

Honestly I prefer an rpl 690 to an x or one 690.

Timson

The thunder came out of nowhere, lightning struck so close I felt it through my waders. Diving out of the high lake I tweeked the mid joint on my 3 wt Rpl+ 2 piece. Split badly. Bought is from Gary (morning hatch) years ago. This was about 8 years ago. Drove to Bainbridge to get it repaired. The Lady at the desk told me no problem.She took it in back and told me she had 2 tip s that would fit well.The 1 was free and 50 dollars for the other. I thanked her and now have a 2 piece with an extra tip. Gotta love the SAGE ethics. JT

Mstark

I paid the 175 to get an rpl fixed and I'd do it again. Same for my xps and sps.

I think an xp or original loomis glx is as good as any sage or loomis around today.

Honestly I prefer an rpl 690 to an x or one 690.
True dat! I agree completely…my stable of rpl’s are worth 175 to fix every time!

So I’m not sure when /where / or how but I lost a section of my Sage Xi3 never fished rod. I sent a email asking if I needed a appointment to bring in my rod for repair/replace my missing section. Sage told me to mail it in as they were not doing any face to face. As a cheap old fart I bitched about the cost of mailing while I was only 15 minutes away. They told me there would be no cost and they would mail it back, but it was going to take a month or so before I could expect to see it. Well I just got it back and I couldn’t be happier. I have a backup 13wt. Sage comes through again.
good boy, must be a mystery huh, as to your lost section

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts