Switch rod casting single handed

Porter

Can’t cover everything in a thread title, It had nothing to do with spey casting single handed or casting a switch rod single handed full time. No need for icy hot or pain relievers. Not offended one bit, just didn’t understand your little diatribe about one handed spey casting and the pain and ache of doing it all day.

FlyFinaticLou

FlyFinaticLou
Can’t cover everything in a thread title, It had nothing to do with spey casting single handed or casting a switch rod single handed full time. No need for icy hot or pain relievers. Not offended one bit, just didn’t understand your little diatribe about one handed spey casting and the pain and ache of doing it all day.
Well, I won't climb out on YOUR limb to defend against your INSULTING me with the "diatribe b.s." -- how dare you. YOU have NO sense of humor apparently. You READ my comment with some sort of chip on your shoulder, apparently. I would never deliberately INSULT ANYONE, especially HERE not knowing who or what anyone truly believes or what their Moral Compass may be. MOST of my "writing style," if you will, comes with good old fashioned Humorous sarcasm (as apposed to rude sarcasm) and YOU apparently did not see that?. The "icy hot `& pain relievers" was mocking ME in a sense as the Suggestion came from MY own personal experience - as I noted in my, what I thought was a humorous & thoughtful way. You should try reading it again with a Smile on your face and "pretend" it's a Comedy skit your reviewing for SNL ! Of course, or maybe not, that was some "dry wit" ! But of course if you're not into that sort of thing . . . ??? Might I suggest You "IGNORE" ME - BLOCK from seeing my posts it they upset you so much !?. I've only been a member a few short weeks, sure hope it gets "better". I joined at the suggestion of a few friends over in Oregon who are active on the Caddis Fly Shop's Fly fishing Blog. Now THEY would get a kick out of all this crap, I'm sure . . . perhaps they're tuning in . . . probably having a good laugh . . . I should call . . . hope your feeling better by tomorrow, ps, pleas feel free to "IGNORE" me .

Porter

Oh no, no ignore list for you from me, No harm no foul. … Just did not get your kinda humor I guess. No icy hot will ever be required tho, pretty easy to double haul an 11 footer a few time per day on the river. …..keep the casting elbow in and low below the nipple line, very little stress on the shoulder., cast out 70-80 feet easily then resume to two handed casting techniques. All I was asking was for hand position on the cork when single hand casting…..up or lower on the handle.
Any thoughts on that? ;):D

Buzzy

This thread is timely - at least for my "research". I'm planning a trip to Alaska next year - my friend and I are thinking "silvers". A local tells me "Buzzy, unless you want to be severely handicapped up there, you need a switch rod, an 8 weight for silvers" (something to do with river bank alders, limited to no back cast room and the importance of avoiding tangles in those alders because of what lurks back there....).

I don't know anything about two handed/one handed (isn't this part of the definition of a switch rod?) rods. My spey skills are lacking - while not neophyte, severely out of practice.

Porter

So my research concluded that there is a lot of information out there, lots of gear, lots of different line combos, lots of self discovering to do. For example right off the the bat some might use a 360 grain head and others might use a 510 head and then there all those in between and this is for the same rod. But it is fun.

Where about a are you going in AK?

so much info. Hopefully your local fly shop will have some demo lines to test out. I went with airflo compact rage 360 and poly sink tip for a 7 weight 11’. Probably should have done a 390 or 420 after having more time with rod on water now. If ever in Seattle area and you want to try out my set up, take it out on some water or on a trip give me a PM.

doublespey

Steelhead-a-holic
Single hand casting both spey and overhead s easy on lighter switch rods up to about a 5wt. Maybe even easier as ypu dont overpower the blank.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
This thread is timely - at least for my "research". I'm planning a trip to Alaska next year - my friend and I are thinking "silvers". A local tells me "Buzzy, unless you want to be severely handicapped up there, you need a switch rod, an 8 weight for silvers" (something to do with river bank alders, limited to no back cast room and the importance of avoiding tangles in those alders because of what lurks back there....).

I don't know anything about two handed/one handed (isn't this part of the definition of a switch rod?) rods. My spey skills are lacking - while not neophyte, severely out of practice.
Buzzy - might be worth checking out the Echo OHS thread. @dustinchromers shared some pretty good info.

FlyFinaticLou

FlyFinaticLou
Oh no, no ignore list for you from me, No harm no foul. … Just did not get your kinda humor I guess. No icy hot will ever be required tho, pretty easy to double haul an 11 footer a few time per day on the river. …..keep the casting elbow in and low below the nipple line, very little stress on the shoulder., cast out 70-80 feet easily then resume to two handed casting techniques. All I was asking was for hand position on the cork when single hand casting…..up or lower on the handle.
Any thoughts on that? ;):D
Interesting change of attitude . . . however considering Your chosen words, Have Meaning, "ho harm no foul" is a bit strange to try and understand, Coming from You?!. Understand MY perspective here? Hmmm, where are these emoji's found? They may have been useful to me in thwarting off any "Defensive Linemen" !
. . . "All I was asking . . . ," don't most folks feel like adding a "little extra spice" to the sauce once in awhile ? I do, I'm addicted to the "pun" and enjoy writing (one of my Navy schools was the Journalist School, though a (was) Sonar Tech. by trade. < See, I did it again, adding a little "tidbit" to the comment.
Your restating Your Original "Q" of hand position is a thoughtful one. Beginners /Novices would find it helpful . . . but not knowing you, may I presume you're more Intermediate/advanced (such as I) in the FLY GAME. For Me, having an abundance of innate common sense and strong desire to always ask "that next question" most pass over, Hand Position is ALWAYS "An experiment in Progress"! Meaning there is no One Correct answer - we each have different dynamics, different skills, different body types, different equipment. Whew, that was a mouthful . . . hope you saw some humor in it all ! I DO TEND TO DIGRESS . . . part of my gnome, can't help it.
Looks like, from reading further on about the OHS rods (6>8), that may be one of your considerations ? . . . Back to Hand Position, no getting around it, Ya Gotta EXPERIMENT . . . that's what Practice Time is for! Hit up a river for an hour or two a few times WITHOUT the intent to "FISH" -- NO HOOK, or at least No Hook with the BEND - I pick a few flies old ones I rarely if ever use and destroy them by clipping off the bend - just a strait shaft remains. More realistic practicing this way vs. some fuzz or ???. A few times while practicing I've had fish grab the fly for a second or two - fun stuff.
IF anyone wants my take on the Echo OHS . . . well I have some, almost bought the 6wt OHS till I had a conversation with the folks at Caddis Fly AND the folks at Gorge Fly Shop (both happen to be in Oregon . . . no I'm not originally from their).
Well, seems I've Done It Again, wrote a 1000 word essay, haha . . . :) . . . hey look I FOUND the Smiley Emoji's . . . .

Last edited:

bconrad

my 2 cents is that casting a switch rod one handed hurts all my old guy parts. I view them as small double handers, if you want to cast single handed do yourself a favor and use the tool that's appropriate. One handing an 11 footer sucks no matter where you hold the cork.

Porter

my 2 cents is that casting a switch rod one handed hurts all my old guy parts. I view them as small double handers, if you want to cast single handed do yourself a favor and use the tool that's appropriate. One handing an 11 footer sucks no matter where you hold the cork.

Actually it is not that bad at all. I’m talking about just a few single handed casts per session. 97.5% is done two handed. Definitely something I would not want to do all the time. I was just curious for those of you who do… where is your casting hand placement on the cork. That was all…

FlyFinaticLou

FlyFinaticLou
Actually it is not that bad at all. I’m talking about just a few single handed casts per session. 97.5% is done two handed. Definitely something I would not want to do all the time. I was just curious for those of you who do… where is your casting hand placement on the cork. That was all…
My 2-cents is on bconrad, but if you feel a strong desire to "Occasionally" do a Single hand cast, "Experiment" 1st (as I've beaten to death the idea, ha). I've recently developed some long lasting pain in my right (dominant arm) elbow. Not sure what - a touch of arthritis ? So I'm staying clear of what you wish to do.
As a side, if anyone may be interested, because of ITs Length ( 10 ft. ) I've decided to SELL my last 10ft Rod - it's on the 'C-List', but I may soon put it HERE in the Classifieds; it IS Brand NEW (bought in May from Red's) and Never fished -- a SAGE X. 6101-4 . IF anyone is strongly interested PM me . . . but again, I'll probably put a couple photos in the Classifieds. Previous 10 ft rods have proven very worthy of the single hand spey with a haul technique in the past. I see we have a new ad selling a Sage Trout Spey OUTFIT at near full price. I also may be offering My Sage 3110-4 T.S. HD . . . but only because I now have the same rod in the 4wt. I may also offer it as a package - new reel/line/backing . . . the price will be "Consumer Friendly" whether just the Rod or as a package. Again until I finalize my thoughts on that one, serious inquiries via a PM, thanks Lou. Sorry Porter, I didn't intentionally try to derail . . . IF you want AIRFLO Line options advice I may be able to suggest some - been an "AirFlo-Guy" for over 10 yrs. Won't fish any other line, and prefer the Fully Integrated Switch/trout spey versions. Unfortunately since the Ownership takeover in Nov. 2018 they have discontinued them. Rumor Mill has it by years end they should be back in the offering. I hope so, I personally Hate the Heads Only approach.

Buzzy

I've seen silvers swim up to my feet and plow up on the beach waiting to be released or killed. It's like they are giving themselves to the OHS. All I had to do was show it to them.
Chromers et al -
While you're arguments and description (man, the above is classic Chromers!) on the OHS is something I'm saving and keeping in mind, a buddy of mine is suggesting the Echo SR 81010. I watched the Rajeff videos that go with both the OHS an SR. One consistent theme: choices!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts