Spey Switch rod casting single handed

dustinchromers

Chromers et al -
While you're arguments and description (man, the above is classic Chromers!) on the OHS is something I'm saving and keeping in mind, a buddy of mine is suggesting the Echo SR 81010. I watched the Rajeff videos that go with both the OHS an SR. One consistent theme: choices!

I own both rods above. They are very very different. The SR is a short spey and not an overhead rod really unless lined East coast surf style. The OHS is the lighter versatile performer. The SR is a very nice rod. I use mine allot but it is a much heavier stick for heavier work.

Buzzy

I own both rods above. They are very very different. The SR is a short spey and not an overhead rod really unless lined East coast surf style. The OHS is the lighter versatile performer. The SR is a very nice rod. I use mine allot but it is a much heavier stick for heavier work.
Thanks - this helps me understand the difference. Domo arigato gozaimasu!

Matt B

WFF Premium
Sorry if I missed in search but didn’t see anything. So I did the real Spey thing many moons ago. It wasn’t for me. Older now, so I thought let’s try switch rod. I think I’m gonna like it. But the question I have is when you want/do your single hand cast where is best to position your casting hand. The grip is 10-11” long. So treat it as a standard 7-7.5” FW grip or position your hand higher towards the top of grip. I have tried it both ways, but for a limited time. I think I almost like treating it as a standard FW grip and be down 3-4” inches, but not sure if that is best, and want to be more efficient and utilize the rods casting properties and not my arm/shoulder as much. Using a 7110 switch with an old school Lamson LS4. Any insights appreciated…Thanks.
I have an old Cabelas 6 wt 11’ switch. It’s actually pretty sweet. Right after I got it (used, kind of an impulse, from here) I took it to AK to catch many many silvers and it worked great. Man I should do that again. Anyway, when I single hand overhead cast it I find my hand down lower but, I have to ask, it hasn’t been mentioned I don’t think, have you 2-hand overhead cast it at all? Just put that lower hand on there and things balance a bit more, pull down slowly and boom.

bconrad

Actually it is not that bad at all. I’m talking about just a few single handed casts per session. 97.5% is done two handed. Definitely something I would not want to do all the time. I was just curious for those of you who do… where is your casting hand placement on the cork. That was all…
Fair enough, the times I have tried I found that the higher on the cork I went, the easier it was. Reducing the length of lever seemed to help somewhat. I think I was usually right up near the top taper.

FlyFinaticLou

FlyFinaticLou
Fair enough, the times I have tried I found that the higher on the cork I went, the easier it was. Reducing the length of lever seemed to help somewhat. I think I was usually right up near the top taper.
Yes Sir . . . that is what should be expected -- not only have you "shortened" the rod, but you've added weight to "the other end" making it Easier to pivot at the "pivot point"/ Your casting hand.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Chiming in late here. Been casting my 4114 burkie a bit as of late with a Rio 8 weight single hand spey (300 grain) FHI. Find my hand in the middle of the cork when single handing it, both spey an overhead. I really like the smoothness of the line, not clunky like a Skagit or a rage, but will throw a decent size fly.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts