Can floatant detract some fish?

jwg

Fish on PMDs can be super selective about stage of emergence, according to flynshops seeking to,sell you a pattern for each stage. They may be correct.

So remember you were fishing the hatch after the other person

I have also seen fish mysteriously turn off to one species like PMD to start taking another . Caddis.

J

Gfisher2003

Just my two cents like @Clarkman said if you get frustrated with the small fiddly stuff, the fish in fall river will get real aggressive towards streamers, you might not look as dignified as the people with long leaders delicately tossing a dry fly but you will catch fish.

Yardus Maximus

WFF Supporter
If you don't mind getting dirty, tight line nymphing has crushed it for me here. Small water, easy to read the seams and holding water. Dry fly purist please disregard :rolleyes:

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
7.5ft sounds far too short, for very clear water. My standard dry fly leader is about 15ft long.

Commercial leaders aren't very good for dries. I suggest tying your own George Harvey style leaders or buying them below.

Brian in OR.

7.5ft sounds far too short, for very clear water. My standard dry fly leader is about 15ft long.

Commercial leaders aren't very good for dries. I suggest tying your own George Harvey style leaders or buying them below.

His leader is 7.5' and 3' of 6x tippet = 10.5' which is a bit short in my opinion on where he is fishing

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Just my two cents like @Clarkman said if you get frustrated with the small fiddly stuff, the fish in fall river will get real aggressive towards streamers, you might not look as dignified as the people with long leaders delicately tossing a dry fly but you will catch fish.

I rarely care about looking dignified...lol. It's pretty damn cool up on the flats when you rip a sculpzilla past them to see one (often one of the larger ones) peel off it's sipping lie and slam the streamer at your feet....no 6x needed (or long leaders).

Norman908

Every time I use floatant I get refusals. My pal that I go out on the river with quite a bit uses it religiously and doesn’t….

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I agree. Early one year I fished Fall river, no luck on the recommended tiny black nymphs or dries. I found a #10 Micky Finn and caught 5 trout on 7 casts.

Smalma

It is not uncommon on pressured/selective fish that fishing a fly in the surface film (awash) can be much more effective than a high floating dry.

If I'm getting refusals on my dries I typically try a smaller fly or switch to emergers in the surface film.

In your case the fish were clearly telling you something and I doubt it was the floatant used.

Curt

Buzzy

I would be more concerned about "scent" on submerged offerings rather than floatant on a dry fly or portion of an emerger.

longputt

You've gotten great advice on small fly size, long leaders and something completely different. One comment I'll add is: try to land the fly first (before the leader rolls out) it's tough with long small leaders but touching the fly down first helps.

Back when my eye sight was a lot better I've seen fish on Fall R and Hat Creek take my blood knots...they like small things! I've also seen my some of my flies twist the leader while casting and spin on the water or leave loops of leader on the water near the fly. Not sure I can still see those things today! Try to avoid that, some flies just spin during casting...

Fun river to challenge your fishing, glassy streams are a different game.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts