Boating Safety Story

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
This popped up in my feed. Interesting story and some lessons to be learned.
The guy was in the water for 2.5 hours and trying to swim to where he knew other boats were, which was 2-3 miles away.
The folks who found his boat where able to board it and use his gps to backtrack to where they finally found him.
He is very lucky to be alive.
SF

If you could please take the time to read this I feel like everybody can learn from my mistake. I was the guy that was lost 40 miles off shore yesterday in the water as my boat drove off without me. I have all the safety equipment from off shore life jacket with whistle strobe light hand Held waterproof VHF and eprib. I got too comfortable and decided with the conditions of the ocean yesterday being as good as it gets decided to take my life jacket off for a bit which I never do when I'm by myself. While taking a moment to relieve myself off the side of the boat I somehow lost my footing and in less than a split second I was in the water in my boat is driving off without me. Due to a couple unique circumstances my boat made its way Eventually to another boat. Luckily on the other boat was a father and son who are In my opinion Are true heroes for how they reacted and acted in the situation leaning on knowledge and experience. To them, I and my family, will be forever grateful and indebted!

So what I want everybody to learn is

NEVER GET TO COMFORTABLE...ALWAYS KEEP SAFY EQUIPMENT ON YOU.

Jockurr

WFF Supporter
Lucky man……very very lucky.
Even if the motor(s) in neutral 1.5 - 2 knots of current can be a bitch considering the difference between the mass of the hull vs the mass of the human body.
The for sharing SF

PhilR

WFF Supporter
Dress to egress
And to add to that, keep an empty gatorade bottle for relief, instead of leaning over the side.
Scary story

PhilR

WFF Supporter
Nalgene bottle
They don’t blow out of the boat
Axe Ira

when we all used white gas stoves, we had some guys who insisted on using the msr fuel bottles as water bottles. I then, as I do now, don't want to mix up the bottles I use for drinking with the bottles I don't ever want to use for drinking.

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
I don’t think we’re supposed to drink from the nalgene any longer
Not good for you I hear
I'm pretty environmentally cautious and I drink from a nalgene all the time. They used to, but no longer as of 2020 or so, use Bisphenol A (BPA) in their water bottles. So if you have an old Nalgene, maybe replace it. That said, there are tons of unregulated chemicals used in plastics, so do you you think is best. I'm pretty sure fly lines are full of PFAS.

Dr. Magill

I'm pretty environmentally cautious and I drink from a nalgene all the time. They used to, but no longer as of 2020 or so, use Bisphenol A (BPA) in their water bottles. So if you have an old Nalgene, maybe replace it. That said, there are tons of unregulated chemicals used in plastics, so do you you think is best. I'm pretty sure fly lines are full of PFAS.
I do have an old one
I piss in it

PhilR

WFF Supporter
Oh. Huh. I’m drinking from a ca 2010 nalgene right now. Guess I have a new relief bottle.

edit: REI went bpa free in 08, so all good

Last edited:

Cougar Zeke

This popped up in my feed. Interesting story and some lessons to be learned.
The guy was in the water for 2.5 hours and trying to swim to where he knew other boats were, which was 2-3 miles away.
The folks who found his boat where able to board it and use his gps to backtrack to where they finally found him.
He is very lucky to be alive.
SF

If you could please take the time to read this I feel like everybody can learn from my mistake. I was the guy that was lost 40 miles off shore yesterday in the water as my boat drove off without me. I have all the safety equipment from off shore life jacket with whistle strobe light hand Held waterproof VHF and eprib. I got too comfortable and decided with the conditions of the ocean yesterday being as good as it gets decided to take my life jacket off for a bit which I never do when I'm by myself. While taking a moment to relieve myself off the side of the boat I somehow lost my footing and in less than a split second I was in the water in my boat is driving off without me. Due to a couple unique circumstances my boat made its way Eventually to another boat. Luckily on the other boat was a father and son who are In my opinion Are true heroes for how they reacted and acted in the situation leaning on knowledge and experience. To them, I and my family, will be forever grateful and indebted!

So what I want everybody to learn is

NEVER GET TO COMFORTABLE...ALWAYS KEEP SAFY EQUIPMENT ON YOU.
I hope this cat bought a lottery ticket on the way home........

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts