The Thread Built from Stoke

Swimmy

@creekx that's what I'm talking about! Awesome photos and fish
MsmNiWk4_o.gif

dustinchromers

I've decided that I'm going to spend the next 6 weeks or so hunting Golden Trout in the high country. With a few exceptions, most live in alpine lakes above 9,000' and can be challenging to get to. But I'm in decent shape right now and feel like it is a worthy goal.

This has become my current stoke.
Went after my first Goldens just last week. After much research I found a few destinations reachable on long (grueling) day hikes, rather than overnighters. This one starts at a trailhead at about 9,000', passing a few other lakes on the way to the destination lake, which sits at about 11,000'.

Left the trail head at 6:45am. First lake on the route. Beautiful, and the Brookies rising everywhere would have been fun, but we had other plans.

View attachment 290007

Approaching tree line.

View attachment 290008

The destination. Jaw-dropping and we have it to ourselves?!

View attachment 290009

My first Golden Trout. A pretty little feller. Only landed 3 and none of significant size, but ask me if I care.

View attachment 290010

Just over 13 miles round trip with 4,085 ft. of elevation gain. Really pushed my boundaries for a day hike, but overall I rate this day as an 11. Can't wait to do another. The stoke is high.

View attachment 290012

Great photos. I'm also interested in scratching my golden trout itch. I mainly want to see one up close and personal. Trout are one of the most beautiful creatures ever made.

creekx

Director of Stoke
Great photos. I'm also interested in scratching my golden trout itch. I mainly want to see one up close and personal. Trout are one of the most beautiful creatures ever made.
A local fly shop employee told us he saw a study that concluded that goldens were the dumbest of trout. Not sure I agree. Over the years I have proven to be highly capable of catching dumb trout everywhere, but those things were not a pushover. I mean, if they were cutties we'd have raked 'em.

I also asked him, "If the temps are 95 in the valley, what can we expect at 11,000 feet?"

He replied, "It is not so much the temperature, it's that you are only 18 feet from the sun."

:)

Shad

Grabbed the camper and headed out for a few days. No agenda, just cruising around and exploring new camp sites. Will end up making a big loop. Low stoke.

DSC_4283(1).jpg
Low stoke got you hooked on gulpers last time around... be prepared to get surprise stoked!

ianpadron

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts