The Thread Built from Stoke

SilverFly

^^^ Oh hell yeah
MsmNiWk4_o.gif
Figured you might appreciate this. This is as close to something like extreme skiing and/or wrestling as my old carcass can handle.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
I'll let you know if I'm headed up there again. You should hit it on the next rain. Or any pocket water for that matter. Contrary to common salmon fisherman theory, the fish don't teleport from one popular hole to the next ;).

Maybe next month. Hopefully good #'s of bright, snappy coho.

yeah, hopefully it'll line up with MY schedule....lol

I just remember having my ass handed to me several years ago by a biiiiig chinook that ran straight upstream and broke 20lb like it was nothing (or rather, the rocks did).

SilverFly

yeah, hopefully it'll line up with MY schedule....lol

I just remember having my ass handed to me several years ago by a biiiiig chinook that ran straight upstream and broke 20lb like it was nothing (or rather, the rocks did).
Yup, the hook-up to landing ratio there is sketchy at best, but can be done - and is always interesting. Here's some motivation from waaay back in 2010...

Steel_Nook.JPG

I forgot I used the Spey rod here. What it lacks in 12wt backbone, it makes up for in rock avoidance steering. Although I still prefer the bare-knuckle, bar-room brawl aspect using a tuna rod.

SilverFly

Got some GREAT news yesterday that has my Stoke-O-Meter pegged at 11! We made an offer on a couple buildable acres with river frontage. The sellers made a very reasonable counter which we jumped on and we now have contract contingent on our house being on the market within 5 business days (yikes!). Looks like I will have steelhead - if even a very few - swimming in my back yard by this time next year!!! Never EVER thought I'd be living on waterfront - let alone be stoked about moving into a rental! Getting the keys today. WE'RE OUTTA HERE!!!

Here's a peek at the the "backyard".

20210814_140930.jpg 20210814_141803.jpg 20210814_141515.jpg

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
Got some GREAT news yesterday that has my Stoke-O-Meter pegged at 11! We made an offer on a couple buildable acres with river frontage. The sellers made a very reasonable counter which we jumped on and we now have contract contingent on our house being on the market within 5 business days. Looks like I will have steelhead - if even a very few - swimming in my back yard by this time next year!!! Never EVER thought I'd be living on waterfront - let alone be stoked about moving into a rental! Getting the keys today. WE'RE OUTTA HERE!!!

View attachment 297749 View attachment 297750 View attachment 297751
VERY stoke-worthy

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Got some GREAT news yesterday that has my Stoke-O-Meter pegged at 11! We made an offer on a couple buildable acres with river frontage. The sellers made a very reasonable counter which we jumped on and we now have contract contingent on our house being on the market within 5 business days. Looks like I will have steelhead - if even a very few - swimming in my back yard by this time next year!!! Never EVER thought I'd be living on waterfront - let alone be stoked about moving into a rental! Getting the keys today. WE'RE OUTTA HERE!!!

View attachment 297749 View attachment 297750 View attachment 297751

Welcome to the club Guy, and congrats!

Thomas Mitchell

corvus ossifragus
WFF Premium

CONGRATS!!!

Our's is a second place due to my work requirements but otherwise we did the same thing in late summer. I had been wanting a place in a certain section of a certain river for about 10 years but balked at the price. It sure didn't get any cheaper... Finally pulled the trigger and my only regret is not finding a way to do it earlier.

My biggest lesson of the pandemic and quickly losing my mom to cancer in the same year is that life's too short to fuck around.

SilverFly

CONGRATS!!!

Our's is a second place due to my work requirements but otherwise we did the same thing in late summer. I had been wanting a place in a certain section of a certain river for about 10 years but balked at the price. It sure didn't get any cheaper... Finally pulled the trigger and my only regret is not finding a way to do it earlier.

My biggest lesson of the pandemic and quickly losing my mom to cancer in the same year is that life's too short to fuck around.

Thanks Thomas. Scary stuff for sure, so it's very reassuring to hear it can be done. I'm painfully aware of the "Like sands through the hourglass ..." factor (getting that reference qualifies for old timer status). Been hit upside the head with that damn hourglass a number of times. Once or twice it felt like a Louisville Slugger. Yeah, we're DOING THIS.

BTW, having seen what development has done to the rivers I love, here are a few notes on our plans...

The build site is set several hundred feet back from the river and far above high water (the Scab Lands in Central WA would get another scabbing if we flooded). The plan is to just build a simple 3BR, 2 bath ranch, with a small ADU for my MIL (and eventually for live-in care when we need it before I'm dragged off to a home kicking and screaming). Other than a few trails and a small camp structure within view of the water, I have ZERO plans to touch the heavily forested slope between the build site and the river.

Of course a few trees will have to be cleared for the build site and a reasonable-sized fenced (deer/coyote proof) backyard. Can't wait to have a shop again, and build some beautiful raised beds for my MIL who is a passionate gardener (something we have in common). This all seems almost too good to be true, but we've got an ace land agent who has researched the crap out of it (confirming my own conclusions) and assures us this is a great property. Really the only downside is it's the wrong bank to swing from!

Last edited:

dflett68

WFF Premium
Thanks Thomas. Scary stuff for sure, so it's very reassuring to hear it can be done. I'm painfully aware of the "Like sands through the hourglass ..." factor (getting that reference qualifies for old timer status). Been hit upside the head with that damn hourglass a number of times. Once or twice it felt like a Louisville Slugger. Yeah, we're DOING THIS.

BTW, having seen what development has done to the rivers I love, here are a few notes on our plans...

The build site is set several hundred feet back from the river and far above high water (the Scab Lands in Central WA would get another scabbing if we flooded). The plan is to just build a simple 3BR, 2 bath ranch, with a small ADU for my MIL (and eventually for live-in care when we need it before I'm dragged off to a home kicking and screaming). Other than a few trails and a small camp structure within view of the water, I have ZERO plans to touch the heavily forested slope between the build site and the river.

Of course a few trees will have to be cleared for the build site and a reasonable-sized fenced (deer/coyote proof) backyard. Can't wait to have a shop again, and build some beautiful raised beds for my MIL who is a passionate gardener (something we have in common). This all seems almost too good to be true, but we've got an ace land agent who has researched the crap out of it (confirming my own conclusions) and assures us this is a great property. Really the only downside is it's the wrong bank to swing from!
inspiring. "go confidently in the direction of your dreams. live the life you have imagined." hdt

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
"Really the only downside is it's the wrong bank to swing from!"

High bank that run! Some do fish better from the high bank side!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts