Kodiak AK quick hit

adamcu280

Looks like I'm heading to Kodiak for work, and I might have a few days to fish on the front end (late July) and back end (late August) of my trip.

Looking at previous reports it seems like I'll be there in primo salmon and dolly time. I know some folks can be pretty species-ist but I don't really care what I catch as long as I'm catching fish.

I'll probably bring my 8wt and 6wt w/ floating and intermediate lines, along with an assortment of Clousers, Comets, poppers, and so forth.

I'll be limited to walking from downtown on the front end of the trip so looking at the map, my best bets look like North End Park, Shahafka Cove/Mission Beach, or Gibson Cove areas. Hopefully on the back end of the trip we can find a rental car and check out some of the road accessed stuff.

This'll be my first time in that part of AK and first time with a fly rod so any tips/tricks would be great! I did search and the Kodiak DIY TR got me excited.

Merle

Kodiak gets their pinks on odd years like we do in WA and you will be there at the right time. The Buskin (close to town) as well as all the other rivers on the road system, will be absolutely choked with pinks in September so hopefully the bays will be full of them in August. Hit the beaches with small clousers and you should be in business. Good Luck!

andy

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
Mission beach is your best bet on the fly. I’ve caught pinks and dollies there as well as had some epic shows from the whales. While not at all the best option, you can definitely catch some fish there. Bring a stripping basket

Dr. Magill

Be prepared for some company. Lots of company. I was surprised at the number of people fishing. If you can do a fly out that would be great fun.

adamcu280

Be prepared for some company. Lots of company. I was surprised at the number of people fishing. If you can do a fly out that would be great fun.
I don't think flying anywhere remote is in our budget. We'll probably do a charter boat day though.

Dr. Magill

I don't think flying anywhere remote is in our budget. We'll probably do a charter boat day though.
A charter in Chiniak Bay will kill it for halibut-lings-and rock fish. Great fishing there. There are lots of streams easily accessed from the highway. Sometimes you can hit the local Buskin River and avoid people - just hard to say. You will see a very different type of "fishing" up there for sure. I think fishing from the beach would be the best if you can dial it in.
Have fun

adamcu280

A charter in Chiniak Bay will kill it for halibut-lings-and rock fish. Great fishing there. There are lots of streams easily accessed from the highway. Sometimes you can hit the local Buskin River and avoid people - just hard to say. You will see a very different type of "fishing" up there for sure. I think fishing from the beach would be the best if you can dial it in.
Have fun
I lived in Seward back in the day and fished all over Res/Aialik/Harris Bay and the Chiswells so I'm hoping the boat-accessed salt around Kodiak is just as good. While I was there I did some river fishing farther up on the Kenai peninsula which was a different kind of fun. I'm not as into the combat river stuff so I'd rather flog beaches but if rivers are what's happening, that's where we'll be.

Fun will be had no matter what.

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
Some more thoughts: the bays in Kodiak are shallow, the tide exchange mild and often the fish are literally on the bank, can’t tell you how many times I cast at schools of coho or pinks parallel to the shore where I could see the nervous water and fins, a floater is pretty ideal unless it’s really windy then the intermediate may be a worthy option. In the months I was there I only fished a floating Rio OBS and felt solid. A car will get you into much better fishing and is worth the price of admission. The couple beaches near town will produce fish but not at all like you’ll find elsewhere on the road system. The water will be low in the rivers and the lower stretches will be completely choked with fish to the point it may actually be unfishable. With that many salmon in a pool it becomes near impossible to make a cast without foul hooking a fish, so IMO it’s a much better option to fish the beaches where you might find a feeding chinook or coho amongst the pinks and besides, the chromer salty pinks are much better sport anyway. My favorite beach is down by the mouth of the olds river in what’s called Kalsin Bay fishing right there near the old resort. Pretty much a paradise as far as saltwater beach fly fishing goes from my experiences. Mid tide whether falling or flooding was always peak action, but I caught fish throughout every stage of the tide. Lots of bait in that bay and both coho and chinook will feed within fly range there before they go into staging mode. Follow the roaming schools of fish between the rocks on the left, to the mouth of the olds river to your right, as the tide sets up and fish start moving toward the river mouth but always be on the lookout for salmon crashing bait or birds diving, likely coho or chinook or both. If you spend time there you will have some good fishing I’m quite confident. There is a fly/tackle shop in town that will help you out and they are pretty well stocked, but pricey. The lower olds river is cool too. Walk down from the bridge on an incoming tide. Or up from the mouth if you like bigger flatter water. If you hit the tide right when the fish start pouring in it can be pretty outstanding. Good shot at a king there too.

adamcu280

Good info! I was planning on using my SA boost 5wt line on my 6wt rod (gonna test it out today). I do have a nice floater for my 8wt.

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
I used to go up there a lot and wrote several articles about it in Fish Alaska & NW Fly Fishing. PM me your email and I will send them to you.

adamcu280

My SA boost didn't have the guts to throw a popper with my 6wt. Looks like I'm shopping for a beach floating line now.

Lance Magnuson

WFF Premium
Looks like I'm heading to Kodiak for work, and I might have a few days to fish on the front end (late July) and back end (late August) of my trip.

Looking at previous reports it seems like I'll be there in primo salmon and dolly time. I know some folks can be pretty species-ist but I don't really care what I catch as long as I'm catching fish.

I'll probably bring my 8wt and 6wt w/ floating and intermediate lines, along with an assortment of Clousers, Comets, poppers, and so forth.

I'll be limited to walking from downtown on the front end of the trip so looking at the map, my best bets look like North End Park, Shahafka Cove/Mission Beach, or Gibson Cove areas. Hopefully on the back end of the trip we can find a rental car and check out some of the road accessed stuff.

This'll be my first time in that part of AK and first time with a fly rod so any tips/tricks would be great! I did search and the Kodiak DIY TR got me excited.
I used to fly up to Kodiak yearly to buy frozen pink salmon from processing facilities. It was a “busman’s holiday” for me. I fished the Buskin River and Monashka Bay for pinks. The Buskin was ripe with dollies following the pinks upriver. It’s an intimate stream where you find bear tracks along the stream. Be bear aware. I’ve also flown out to the Karluk River for kings and sockeye but your timing it too late for kings. I used a 7wt with a floating line, but a 6wt will work.

adamcu280

I tied up a bunch of the Kalsin Crazy Charlies recommended by @KillerDave and noticed they're basically the same as the Ferguson's Green and Silvers that I tied up last month (wing on opposite side and addition of bead chain eyes being the only difference). So I should be well stocked with those in chartreuse and pink.

Hopefully we can find some bear spray up there for when we're exploring.

New floating line on the way (Arctic Silver MD 6)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts