Kodiak AK quick hit

Looks like I'm heading to Kodiak for work, and I might have a few days to fish on the front end (late July) and back end (late August) of my trip.

Looking at previous reports it seems like I'll be there in primo salmon and dolly time. I know some folks can be pretty species-ist but I don't really care what I catch as long as I'm catching fish.

I'll probably bring my 8wt and 6wt w/ floating and intermediate lines, along with an assortment of Clousers, Comets, poppers, and so forth.

I'll be limited to walking from downtown on the front end of the trip so looking at the map, my best bets look like North End Park, Shahafka Cove/Mission Beach, or Gibson Cove areas. Hopefully on the back end of the trip we can find a rental car and check out some of the road accessed stuff.

This'll be my first time in that part of AK and first time with a fly rod so any tips/tricks would be great! I did search and the Kodiak DIY TR got me excited.

cdnred

I tied up a bunch of the Kalsin Crazy Charlies recommended by @KillerDave and noticed they're basically the same as the Ferguson's Green and Silvers that I tied up last month (wing on opposite side and addition of bead chain eyes being the only difference). So I should be well stocked with those in chartreuse and pink.

Hopefully we can find some bear spray up there for when we're exploring.

New floating line on the way (Arctic Silver MD 6)
Stupid comment I know but I'm assuming that you can't bring bear spray with you since you'd be flying in, against air travel policy..?

Merle

Stupid comment I know but I'm assuming that you can't bring bear spray with you since you'd be flying in, against air travel policy..?
Yeah I think you’d have to buy it there at one of the two sports shops in Kodiak, then leave it on the island when you go home.

I always thought there should be a rental program for bear spray in places like Kodiak. But I suppose liability would be an issue if a can failed to function for someone.

adamcu280

Yeah I think you’d have to buy it there at one of the two sports shops in Kodiak, then leave it on the island when you go home.

I always thought there should be a rental program for bear spray in places like Kodiak. But I suppose liability would be an issue if a can failed to function for someone.
Bear spray is on the no fly list, and yes, a rental program would be ideal for people in my situation. We deal with liability for rental cars and everything else; not sure why bear spray would be any more/less challenging to deal with.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Bear spray and some other flammables are prohibited on commercial airlines..

That's just plain crazy! Regarding the bear spray. Gee, why don't they have hunters just buy a new firearm and ammo when they get to AK and then leave it behind after the trip concludes? Bear spray simply needs to be packed in an area where it will do no harm to pilots or passengers should it deploy in route. Fvcking rules; how about just doing things in a safe manner instead of banning everything that, if done wrong, might lead to a bad outcome?

Steve C

If the other locations are slow, you should consider driving out to the Pasagshak. May be a little off for timing, but you may see a few reds on the front end and silvers on the tail end. The silvers there can get rather big.

Steve

Chris Scoones

North Bend, WA
Admin
Bear spray is on the no fly list, and yes, a rental program would be ideal for people in my situation.
The local fly shop should have a few for loan. Bring it back after your done. Seam's stupid to make a buck off something like that, and the service, while without monetary lift on it's own, would make an excellent reason for visitors to stop by and perhaps buy other stuff while they are there. If you have to buy it there, consider dropping by the shop and offering to leave it with them for that purpose.

Chris

sroffe

The Salmon Derby in Elliott Bay drew 100's of boats in the 50's....probably earlier, but I remember my folks bringing home nice slabs every year back then. The winning King was typically 40 lbs.+
My grandfather told stories of the fish he caught in Elliott Bay.

ceviche

The easiest way to find dollies in the salt is to focus on any freshwater intrusion—meaning from streams to even percolating freshets. Working with marine biologists surveying the Valdez Oil Spill, we even beach seined for dollies. That time happened from late spring through early autumn of 1989. We noticed that even spots on the beach, where you could see a waterfall coming off a bluff above and with no apparent outlet, would turn up dolly varden.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
That's just plain crazy! Regarding the bear spray. Gee, why don't they have hunters just buy a new firearm and ammo when they get to AK and then leave it behind after the trip concludes? Bear spray simply needs to be packed in an area where it will do no harm to pilots or passengers should it deploy in route. Fvcking rules; how about just doing things in a safe manner instead of banning everything that, if done wrong, might lead to a bad outcome?

Isn't it that the canisters are pressurized and can explode (same reason you don't want them to sit in a hot vehicle)?

Cheers

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts