Tiger Trout - new state record

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
I wonder what this fish feeds on most of the time. Hard to imagine a fish of this "girth" eating midges. Baby ducks - other fish, probably?
I’m sure they are piscivorous but I took this one on a #16 red/black chronomid. I was on a bank about 6’ above the water which is crystal clear, saw it come up and take.
A70B0C81-D02F-44E2-8E36-D273D8A1F72A.jpeg
it was about 28” and thick, iirc length/girth calculations were 12.5#.
day before I took one at 33” (18.5# length/girth method) on a #12 Callibaetis emerger.

Buzzy

I’m sure they are piscivorous but I took this one on a #16 red/black chronomid. I was on a bank about 6’ above the water which is crystal clear, saw it come up and take.
View attachment 288157
day before I took one at 33” (18.5# length/girth method) on a #12 Callibaetis emerger.
Robert - I'm humbled! Amazing fish, thank you for sharing!!

Bruce Baker

I wonder what this fish feeds on most of the time. Hard to imagine a fish of this "girth" eating midges. Baby ducks - other fish, probably?
I am not familiar with Loon Lake, so I can ask the biologists about the fish assemblage (are there any other species besides game fish). None were currently available as I was writing this. Once reaching a certain size (I do not know what that is), tiger trout become piscivorous. With that said, I am sure if a fish is cruising around and sees something edible, it is not going to turn it down.

According to Loon Lake's profile on the WDFW website, the lake also contains Brown Bullhead, Green Sunfish, Kokanee, Lake Trout, Largemouth Bass, Pumpkinseed Sunfish, Rainbow Trout, and Yellow Perch. I do not know what the tiger trout's food preferences are, but I am expecting that if the sunfish and yellow perch are reproducing in the lake, that is a potential food source. In addition, Kokanee are stocked as fry, so I would bet that they are part of the tiger's diet.

DrHare

The Coho King
View attachment 288157
I never release anything I catch either. Trout "eat excellent" and the rest smoke up good. I like to quick measure them. You can use a sharpie, but tattoo works best fishing in tevas.

Attachments

• Tattoo.JPG
    Tattoo.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 24
I understand that the State is experimenting with using tiger trout to control overpopulated brookies in mountain lakes. Apparently, they need to get to a size of about 10-12" before they start to switch over from invertebrates to fish in their diet.

I fished a mountain lake in Idaho about 20 years ago that was full of small brookies. I was back to the same lake a few years ago to view the total eclipse and caught some brookies that seemed larger than I remembered. Then I caught a nice tiger and realized why.

Bruce Baker

I understand that the State is experimenting with using tiger trout to control overpopulated brookies in mountain lakes. Apparently, they need to get to a size of about 10-12" before they start to switch over from invertebrates to fish in their diet.

I fished a mountain lake in Idaho about 20 years ago that was full of small brookies. I was back to the same lake a few years ago to view the total eclipse and caught some brookies that seemed larger than I remembered. Then I caught a nice tiger and realized why.
That is correct Richard.

There is an alpine lake in Pierce Co. that has goldfish. In 2019, tiger trout were stocked in it in hopes of them munching on the goldfish.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts