The Fly-Fishing Equivalent of Blashphemy

Guy Gregory

Ive as usual captures the essence.

I stand in wonder at young anglers behaving as I did...newest stuff, dressed in the current uniform, counting fish and comparing size. Busting ass in the dark into camp, busting ass out in the morning flogging whatever water looks good, busting ass out to water from last months' magazine or last weeks' webpage feature.

I'm reminded Bud Lilly said that nothing made trout in the Madison drainage bigger than the publication of Fly Fisherman Magazine. There must be hogs all over the west now, given what I'm seeing on Instagram. The past? Well, I have a pic of me in neoprenes, vest and hat in line at Buffalo Ford in August. Seems like only yesterday.

At the time I'd wonder at the old guys, walking slow, working a pool, napping at noon, having a whisky and small steak just after dark, or coming off the water early to catch a sunset.

There's a maturation process to the sporting life. I once, but no longer, need to shoot the biggest buck, dump the most geese, catch the biggest trout. I needed that, and worked for it, but never accomplished it. I ultimately understood it was the pursuit, not the possession. Though I do still want a new rod.

Old guys in the old days told me I'd get there, and now I have it's nice. To you youngsters: remember, history didn't begin when you showed up.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Like what you have in the way of local fishing or you'll always be running after the next place, and be miserable between chases...
Fished in washington since the 70's and traveled to fish a bit too.
It's not what it was here, but not much ever is.

There's more to life than 'how many how big'
:)

kmudgn

Fishing for Huge wild Brook trout in Labrador, Atlantics in Canada, and Stripers off the coast of New England kind of ruins it for all other fishing. That being said, I still go out a flail the water as much as I can for 12-16" Trout in local streams, rivers, and ponds

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Coming down to earth after fishing in Paradise is bound to be a let down. Nonetheless, a fisher's gotta' fish. There's plenty of opportunities that I look down my nose at, only because I can still flog familiar waters, chasing dreams of yesteryear. I'm an angler. I have to fish. When there are no waters open for me to fish, I'll water my lawn and cast there. I have to fish.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
You forgot about the drones, go pros, and fill production equipment.. It's my goal to see the last wild steelhead caught and handled on film. It will be like the last Tasmanian Tiger. A creature in a cage only existing in some grainy film until it's no more.

#hastagthelaststeelhead
#conservation
Yeah but you will see the moron who catches it switching off his beeping alarm in the opening scene of his vid. No doubt there will be some upbeat jam pumping in the background and some serious high fives. Plus a driving scene.

the other day I was dragging line through a flat pool on close to dead low tide. Three eagles were nearby. there was weed in the water and smell of die-off from all the barnacles and muscles that got fried end of June. Seals were patrolling on the deeper tide line that was still moving. They were watching me. I figured nothing would happen. Then the line went tight, the reel screamed, the rod bowed, and rope moved quick through the surface film.

I was expecting nothing, nothing at all, frog water principles of fish holding from stream reads had blinded me to reading an estuary.

A fat searun cutt, the biggest of the day, colored just enough that you wonder if it was a summer steelhead coming in, at least until you see the orange slash, had taken my offering and put up a valiant effort. I got the fish in and off quick, before the seals and eagles were clued in.

And then as I thought about it later, all these predators were basically watching, patient, waiting for all the fish that were probably pooled up in this resting spot, to make their mistake. Meanwhile the predators in the pool, holding in the greasy water, were similarly waiting for the baitfish to congregate, to bolt from behind the weeds and barnacle logs....

Anyway that is the stuff that keeps me going. Me being kinda dumb to the possibilities, but then the possibilities revealing themselves in a series of clues. Motives, in retrospect, that I should have been able to better read. Kinda like reading for fun....

Last edited:

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Coming down to earth after fishing in Paradise is bound to be a let down.
I remember my first trip to Alaska...catching really huge rainbows and lots of them out in the wilderness, flying out every day to a new spot full of huge (to me) fish.

I then returned to my little cabin on the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie...it was a bit tough to get back into the nightly caddis hatch.
:)

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Hey Nick,
I’ve been fly fishing/tying for over 55 years.....I’ve fly fished from Alaska to Cabo San Lucas but still really enjoy lake fishing in Washington for even stocked trout. To some catching is too important, for me it’s just getting out doing what I like. I don’t buy into “the worst day fishing is still better than your best day at work” because if you flip your boat over and loose your stuff.....can’t be better than when I was a carpenter and got triple time for working on a holiday!
Like it was mentioned, if you’ve never fished a bamboo rod....try it, you might like it! That’s what I fish with year round. They all don’t cost big bucks. Vintage Hardy reels to hang under the bamboo....now that’s a different story. Just remember....the fish don’t care what you’re using!
Sure beats Covid......my .02

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Ive as usual captures the essence.

I stand in wonder at young anglers behaving as I did...newest stuff, dressed in the current uniform, counting fish and comparing size. Busting ass in the dark into camp, busting ass out in the morning flogging whatever water looks good, busting ass out to water from last months' magazine or last weeks' webpage feature.

I'm reminded Bud Lilly said that nothing made trout in the Madison drainage bigger than the publication of Fly Fisherman Magazine. There must be hogs all over the west now, given what I'm seeing on Instagram. The past? Well, I have a pic of me in neoprenes, vest and hat in line at Buffalo Ford in August. Seems like only yesterday.

At the time I'd wonder at the old guys, walking slow, working a pool, napping at noon, having a whisky and small steak just after dark, or coming off the water early to catch a sunset.

There's a maturation process to the sporting life. I once, but no longer, need to shoot the biggest buck, dump the most geese, catch the biggest trout. I needed that, and worked for it, but never accomplished it. I ultimately understood it was the pursuit, not the possession. Though I do still want a new rod.

Old guys in the old days told me I'd get there, and now I have it's nice. To you youngsters: remember, history didn't begin when you showed up.

I like it where Bud Lilly said Fly Fisherman Mag made the fish bigger. I agree. Facebook makes them even bigger yet what with the republishing of stories. Just yesterday I read about the 20 foot sturgeon this kid caught. It looked more like 9-10 foot to me.

Gyrfalcon21

Living on the coast I don't see Mt Rainier unless I pretty much go to Olympia. Yesterday I was there and Rainier was soaring and huge against a backdrop of stormy clouds.

Alot of rock showing for this time of year.

About 20 years ago, I went to Asia and to the Himalaya mts and saw Mt Everest and about 90% of the highest peaks on Earth for weeks and weeks. I came home and poor Mt Rainier suddenly looked like a tiny little hill. A round bump.

It took me many years to readjust my eyes and scale to once again fully appreciate our world-class volcanoes we have.

What the heck do astronauts do after they come back to Earth?

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
Living in Montana from Washington. Well I live at a place that is higher that the mountain passes in Washington. And now when ever I make it back there. I just consider them just hills and not mountains.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Has anyone ever been "spoiled" in terms of fishing experiences/fish and because of that, they decline some fishing opportunities that they otherwise wouldn't or maybe even shouldn't?

Nope. I'm from a dry AF state in a dry AF country. We barely had water, let alone trout. I'm living the dream now.

Also, it cracks me up when folks complain about the supposed lack of quality trout fishing in western WA. I can drive 20 minutes from my home and be on a beautiful river that is as good as some of the best rivers back home. It's amazing.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts